Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a happy new owner of a P99 9mm, OD green. The only problem is that I can't seem to hit where I want on the targets. Other 9mm's that I have fired include a Ruger and G19 and I have had no accuracy problems with those pistols. Will I see a difference after 500rds or so are put through to break the trigger in? I imagine it is me but if anyone has any suggestions for my next trip to the range let me know. The last range session I had groups up and to the left of the 10 ring and a group to the lower left as well with few actually hitting the 10 ring.

Thanks
chuck

·
Registered
356 Posts
I prescribe an adequate regimen of dry-firing, to become better acquainted with the trigger and its reset. Once you become acquainted with the P99 trigger, you'll find it to be one of the best on a combat pistol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with Lunde but you fail to mention what range you were trying to hit the bullseye. I think the rear sight on the P99 has a lot to be desired with a windage only adjustment. I've seen many reports that the P99 is just so so for accuracy personally I think those reports are bunk. I replaced the rear sight on my P99 .40 S&W with an adjustable sight from Earls repair service. The unit number is 2655900 and was $85 bucks. I installed it myself and changed the front bead to the next largest number. At 50 feet I get consistant 2" groups and under. I'm no expert and haven't finished tweaking the sight yet. I'm still experimenting with different powders and bullets and have a few favorites already. When I first started using my P99 I thought the trigger felt a little gritty so I did a real good cleaning and lubed all the parts very well. That made a world of difference in how the trigger felt on the squeeze. By the way it's OK if oil drips from the gun, you don't loose points for not being clean. Just concentrate on the front bead and not the bullseye, squeeze till you're suprised and the hole should be where you aimed. Get consistant and then look to adjust. I think it'll take more then 1000 rounds to work in the gun. N-joy, regards Harry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the time. I will keep taking it out and putting rounds through it and also practice dry firing.

Chuck

·
Registered
356 Posts
Harry Arthur, you wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]By the way it's OK if oil drips from the gun, you don't loose points for not being clean.
Actually, I have found that using too much lube can be detrimental to the proper functioning of a firearm, especially if there is minimal metal-to-metal contact, like with the P99. I keep my P99s lubed only at the contact points, and dry elsewhere, and crub simply doesn't build up, and ends up being a breeze to clean. My P99s also function 100%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my range visit last weekend was a vast improvement over the last couple visits. I was able to put quite a few rounds in the 10 ring at 10 yards. Put a couple of big holes in there. I couldn't believe how fast I went through a 100 rounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts