Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I did some custom work on my P99AS.

I cut 4 coils off my striker spring, I tapered the split plastic retention inserts and filed and polished the transition from round to square under the spring, on the sriker.

I was looking to improve the trigger on my pistol.

When I reassembled the pistol I was disappointed in the lack of improvement on the trigger pull. The pull was a little smother, but still took the same pull to fire the gun.

I have always been a little disappointed with accuracy of my P99. The first shot always hit what I was aiming at, follow up shots did not group as niece as I would like.

When I test fired the P99 after working on the striker, I was pleasantly surprised the gun was more accurate! I fired about 50 rounds at both 21' and 30', all shoots in the black or center 3". This was not possible before I worked on the striker.

What improved the accuracy?

The trigger pull is smother, but it still takes the same energy to pull.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Were these shots all first in DA or SA mode? If in DA, i'd be curious if you could have done the same in SA mode before the mod.

While i'm not disputing your results at all, I'm skeptical that those modifications would improve accuracy of the gun itself. The striker and it's spring travel a very tight path; it's the barrel lockup and associated tolerances that really determines where the bullet goes.

I suspect that from a ransom rest, before and after would have been the same. Perhaps the better smoothness is just giving you better trigger control (which is what you were after, so mission accomplished) - so congrats on a better weapon. :)

thorn

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hi, I did some custom work on my P99AS.

I cut 4 coils off my striker spring, I tapered the split plastic retention inserts and filed and polished the transition from round to square under the spring, on the sriker.

I was looking to improve the trigger on my pistol.

When I reassembled the pistol I was disappointed in the lack of improvement on the trigger pull. The pull was a little smother, but still took the same pull to fire the gun.

I have always been a little disappointed with accuracy of my P99. The first shot always hit what I was aiming at, follow up shots did not group as niece as I would like.

When I test fired the P99 after working on the striker, I was pleasantly surprised the gun was more accurate! I fired about 50 rounds at both 21' and 30', all shoots in the black or center 3". This was not possible before I worked on the striker.

What improved the accuracy?

The trigger pull is smother, but it still takes the same energy to pull.
You are a lot braver than me. I kinda like the gun just the way it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a spare striker spring already from Spring Field in case it did not work. The other work could not of made things any worst. On one of the Walther Forums there was a good write up on how to clean up the striker.

Steve

·
Registered
335 Posts
JMOFO:

Both my P99c/AS and my P99/AS are WAYYYYY more accurate right out of the box than I have the skill to take advantage of. :D

I'm not touching "nuttin"!

Merry Christmas,

JP

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you conduct your tests using the same ammo each time? I know my P99 likes Blazer Brass ALOT more than say WWB. At 20 feet I can easily shoot 2" groups with the Blazer, not so with WWB. I think my P99 is more accurate than I can shoot but that darn "plastic" guide rod always bothered me.:confused: Thanks for the info!:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same Ammo, actually it was CCI Blazer Brass, 115 grn FMJ.

I have found that the P99 is very picky about the cartridge when it comes to accuracy.

The best accuracy comes from Speer JHP 124 grn.

·
Registered
333 Posts
HI, all shots where from SA.
Don't see how accuracy could be affected by reducing the amount of force the striker hits the bullet primer. Cutting off coils from your striker assembly is a very dangerous business ....as others here have found out !

That gun needs to shoot at least 500 rds of carry ammo to be trusted to go bang each time you pull the trigger. The factory made sure this would happen from the box , but now you have changed the dynamics of the striker, so it will up to you to prove the gun is worthy of personal protection.

It's your gun and really none of my business, but I don't want you to be holding the short end of the stick, should you every really need that gun to save your life.

I have said it before ......the Walther P-99 is a "Combat Weapon" or Duty Pistol ......it is not a Target gun and was never made to shoot like a target gun. Trying to make it into a target pistol could cost you dearly, if it serves double duty as your self-defense weapon. Just MHO.

JF.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Sniper, you make an interesting point. In SA mode, the striker spring is not effecting the amount of pull. I think I will switch to the new un-cut spring and see if the accuracy is still the same. This would indicate if it was the polishing or spring.

Steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have said it before ......the Walther P-99 is a "Combat Weapon" or Duty Pistol ......it is not a Target gun and was never made to shoot like a target gun. Trying to make it into a target pistol could cost you dearly, if it serves double duty as your self-defense weapon.
It can't really be said any better than that. Modifying the internal workings of the weapon to get better "groupings" should never been an option in my opinion. This is a deadly combat weapon that you can easily depend your life one... changing the mechanical workings negates the amazing history this weapon has provided since 1996.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Crap,

My two P99's are capable of much greater accuracy than I am capable of taking advantage of right out of the box..:D

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi!
I know a great method of accuracy improvement, 100% safe, 100% working. Tested on myself and some of my friends. Only 3 steps.

1.proper annual training for the specific gun model

2.training till getting all required actions to sub-conciseness and muscle memory.

3.more training on regular basis.

Works much better then cutting and filing trigger parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
striker spring

I cut down my striker spring a few years ago. There is a long thread/discussion on this site about this. I never had a problem before or since.
I shoot anything cheap for ammo (.40). Mainly buy bulk reloaded stuff at the gun shows. Occasionly cheap new stuff from the store. For IDPA and IPSC shoots. Never a failure to fire or eject.
I don't think the shortened spring helped the accuracy any. But it certainly did not affect the reliability of the pistol.

chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, I think I will address some of the comments fom above;
It can't really be said any better than that. Modifying the internal workings of the weapon to get better "groupings" should never been an option in my opinion. This is a deadly combat weapon that you can easily depend your life one... changing the mechanical workings negates the amazing history this weapon has provided since 1996.​
Modifying guns to improve the accuracy, reliability or shoot-ability has been going on before Browning invented the 1911. If you can improve the the trigger pull of a gun with out making it unsafe, it is going to improve the accuracy. If this was not the case why would most gun reviews talk about the trigger pull?

I know a great method of accuracy improvement, 100% safe, 100% working. Tested on myself and some of my friends. Only 3 steps.

1.proper annual training for the specific gun model

2.training till getting all required actions to sub-conciseness and muscle memory.

3.more training on regular basis.

Works much better then cutting and filing trigger parts.​

You make good points, if I was not shooting 2-3 days a week. I practice pistol; two hand, strong hand, off hand, double tap, reload, jams, FTF, drawing, drawing double tap, drawing double tap mag change. 2nd day of shooting is competition, head to head plate matches, 4 rounds timed for average then, seeded head to head double eliminations. This gets you shooting with adrenalin. Can you hit your target when the blood is pumping and your are excited. Until you try this, you will not believe how the adrenalin changes how you shoot. These 2-days a week I am shooting 2-guns, rotating through my Walther P99AS, PPS and my 9mm 1911.

On the 3rd day when I get it, I shoot long rifles, a 10/22 out to 100 yards, and a 30/06 100 yards and out. To finish off this day, I will shoot 22LR in a P22 or Browning Buck Mark.

I will occasionally take a training class, I do a lot of reading, then practicing what I have read.

It is always been my opinion that you can always improve on equipment. Either tweaking what you have or buying a better piece of equipment.

I will admit, I am spoiled by the trigger on my Springfield 1911. I would like my Walther's to be close to what my 1911 is like, but I know that is not going to happen. I like my Walther's I would just like them to be better.

I do think the Walther's can be better. I saw some improvement on my P99 not from cutting the spring, but from cleaning up the parts the spring runs on.

That's all for now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts