Walther Forums banner

Would you be satisfied with this shooting?

• Yes, that's pretty good

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Nope, more practice should cut that in half

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • That's about average for 7 meters

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Careful, you'll shoot your eye out!!!

Votes: 1 4.5%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Walther PP to the outdoor range today, warm, windless. Son shot it for first time, my second time. About 200 rounds through it in last 2 months. Sat idle for +40 yrs. I was pleased with accuracy when I first shot it. As we were running 25 each through it I wanted to try and see if I could tighten things up. I have no idea what is "average" accuracy from this gun. I seemed to hit where I was aiming, my son would pull down and left for most part. Trying to post photos (fingers crossed) which show intervals of 5 rounds to the final which is 25 rounds with one "yip" at 19 that got out of the second ring. All shots from 7M. Is this average for this gun? My S&W MP 9MM sprays all over the place. My shooting is MUCH better with the Walther and my son shoots better with the 9MM?

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
IMO, while the pistol itself is capable of a bit better at 7 meters, those are still some nice results for most shooters. While I haven't seen many PP targets other than my own, I'd definitely judge yours as better than average. The PP series was not designed as a target pistol, but rather for close range offensive and defensive deployments. Again, it's just my opinion, but I'd say both the pistol,...and you...are doing a pretty darned good job of shooting to it's design parameters.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
That looks pretty good to me for seven yards, especially with the small sights and short sight radius of the PP. With most handguns at that distance I can usually keep my shots inside of three inches if I pay attention to what I'm doing. What caliber is it ?

·
Premium Member
8,688 Posts
If the weapon is a 7.65 they are both soft shooting and very accurate. The groupings seem nice enough but with more frequent exercise I'd think you could tighten thing up a bit.

If your weapon is a 9mmk that would be a very nice grouping.

Reactions: F15E_WSO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO, while the pistol itself is capable of a bit better at 7 meters, those are still some nice results for most shooters. While I haven't seen many PP targets other than my own, I'd definitely judge yours as better than average. The PP series was not designed as a target pistol, but rather for close range offensive and defensive deployments. Again, it's just my opinion, but I'd say both the pistol,...and you...are doing a pretty darned good job of shooting to it's design parameters.
Thanks for the feedback, I've only taken it out twice but pleasantly surprised with the results. As you say I don't have other targets, shooters, or similar (apples to apples) Walther's to compare with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks pretty good to me for seven yards, especially with the small sights and short sight radius of the PP. With most handguns at that distance I can usually keep my shots inside of three inches if I pay attention to what I'm doing. What caliber is it ?
It is the 7.65/.32 ACP. As you say the sights are smaller than on the S&W MP yet I feel they are easier to use (don't know why). I want the shooting to be "fun" and not obsess over the results but I'm sure like most I want it to be well grouped. Thanks for the feeback

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the weapon is a 7.65 they are both soft shooting and very accurate. The groupings seem nice enough but with more frequent exercise I'd think you could tighten thing up a bit.

If your weapon is a 9mmk that would be a very nice grouping.
Totally feel and agree with the "soft shooting". The pull is very smooth and predictable--NOT like that S&W MP. I'll keep working on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could always try shooting off a bag on a bench to see if accuracy gets better but those groups seem acceptable.

I might give that a try for kicks. I understand the benefit of the "bag" but feel that is a bit of a false environment. Though in early USAF training we were allowed to use a barrier for assistance sometimes. Getting my arms and weapon braced would remove one of the variables.

Thanks to all for feedback, I think what I need to do is take out the 9mm more often until I can shoot better with that one.

It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools!!!!

·
Registered
964 Posts
All of those shots placed in the "kill zone" would be lethal ,dead is dead ,that target is smaller than center mass so it is more than adequate for it's intended purpose ,of course the target wasn't shooting back either .Well done grasshopper that is very good for second time out with this platform . Ayb

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All of those shots placed in the "kill zone" would be lethal ,dead is dead ,that target is smaller than center mass so it is more than adequate for it's intended purpose ,of course the target wasn't shooting back either .Well done grasshopper that is very good for second time out with this platform . Ayb
Thank you and agree with the center mass, I still want to give credit to this weapon. My S&W MP is half plastic, some articulated trigger I always anticipate and totally screw up my groupings. I think the Walther has set the "benchmark" my other gun needs to try and reach!! I need to be better with the 9mm

·
Registered
631 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Walther. I once saw a guy shoot and repeatedly hit the engine of a fleeing helicopter from a moving boat with a PPK. From that ppint on, I knew that the PPK was for me...

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Walther. I once saw a guy shoot and repeatedly hit the engine of a fleeing helicopter from a moving boat with a PPK. From that ppint on, I knew that the PPK was for me...
And yet it took a really rare .25 caliber (as in nonexistent rare) AR-7 for the same guy to shoot a hand grenade out of the hand of someone riding in helicopter.

Go figure.

·
Registered
772 Posts
With practice you should be able to tighten those groups up with a 7.65, might cost you a fortune, I am getting those groups at 20 yards with a 1966 PP 7.65
And that would be good performance.

The PP might not be a target pistol - except that Walther did make target pistol versions of it because it is a very accurate pistol.

I have shot a variety of even smaller .22 and .25 guns out at 25 yards and managed sub-6" groups. The only real limitation on small guns are the sights.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts