Walther Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to P38's and still learning a lot about this historic gun. I have been looking at purchasing one and have found an AC 44 with serial number 7858 but there is no build block identification letter. Was this normal for production of these guns built in 1944? All other P38's I have looked at have a build block letter identifier. I could attach a photo if that would be helpful.

Any information that can be provided would be great. I would love to learn more about these pistols and also make sure I am purchasing a legitimate gun.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Premium Member
8,506 Posts
Yes please show us the photos...are you referring to the locking block?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
According to Dieter Marschall's description of the ac44, there was no build block letter indicated with the serial number as there was for previous years.

Serial number range for this year was 1-94961.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a photo of another AC 44 I am looking at but with the identifier letter which is what is making me question the legitimacy of the gun.

AC 44 with build block.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Isn't bdmatson talking about a letter suffix after the serial number denoting the production month in '44?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Yes, he is.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I found it sort of odd that this wasn't mentioned by Dieter.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Yes, especially after seeing ac44's with letter codes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
P.38 suffix letter

It is my understanding that the suffix letter changes at #9999. Then it progresses from a to b to c etc, each 9999 guns produced.

The possible reason for confusion is that in 1943-1944 each manufacturer was producing about 120,000 guns per year, so many times the suffix letter aligns with a month.

Somewhere I read that there was no suffix for the first 9999 guns produced, and then an 'a' was added for the next 9999 then 'b' for the next 9999 etc., but I cannot find that reference and I may be mistaken about that.

Obviously more than 9999 guns were produced in some months but a five digit # like 11111 with a suffix is a very rare animal

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
It is my understanding that the suffix letter changes at #9999. Then it progresses from a to b to c etc, each 9999 guns produced.
That's correct and this has already been stated in the above posts. The reason for confusion was the type font used in the "Code ac 44" section of Dieter Marschall's book, Walther Pistols, Models 1 Through P99, Page 63, made the "L" look like a "1" (one) - so what appears as "1-94961" should be read as "1-9496L". No further discussion is required.
To avoid further confusion this thread is now closed and converted into a Sticky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.