Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the above and got it cheap due to a broken sear (part ordered from Numrich) and in poor shape. My question is this... The original serial number on the slide has a line through it and a new one stamped above it that matches the barrel and the frame. All parts have the Nazi waffenamts. Could this be a re-barrel done during the war or is there some other explanation? It shoots fine, but is DAO until the sear arrives. I was afraid it would go full auto, but that is not the case. Any info is appreciated!

Pat

·
Registered
270 Posts
Pics would help, a renumbering done somewhere along the line. Questions are when and by whom.
Are the fonts similar, the numbers themselves close? Is there any HZa stamp? (Now that I mention it, I don't recall seeing any P38s with depot rebuild marks like on P08s but I am sure they exist.)

The WaA stamps aren't necessarily proof that it (a rebuild indicated by the renumbering) was done during the war. The parts would have had the stamps already and I am assuming all the WaA are 359s.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a pic of the slide... Like I said, it's pretty bad, but it DOES shoot ok, even though the barrel has very little rifling left and it is currently DAO (broken sear). The numbers on the frame, barrel, etc, are all nice and all are 1525. Could it have been a slide replacement? As I said above, the Waffenamts are present on the frame as well as the slide.

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
I most likely is a post war VOPO refinish with the black jelly bean hue, the East Germans usually renumbered war time gun they took into their inventory. Check the locking block an plunger both should be in the white.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Ok then it is a post war VOPO rework. These pistols were dipped that gives them a black jelly bean appearance. Not a collectible gun, just a shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
There may be other marks indicating EG rebuilding or acceptance, although they are sometimes deliberately defaced. The polizei 'star' (more like an eight-pointed sunburst) with a number in the center is one, often seen near the frame serial number or trigger guard. Another EG rework tip is often a replaced barrel (although you mention yours is original), indicated by a crown and N. Often though, the renumbering is not quite so crude, but I admit freely that I am no expert on these.

While a shooter, these also have their own history and some do collect them. They were reconditioned and made 'reserve' weapons for the KG and KVP until 1956 (after then the NVA formed), especially after the DDR started to receive Soviet weapons. The DDR started making their own copies of these and Soviet weapons in the 1950s. Many of these earlier items were apparently then sold off for western currency in the 80s and had their origin markings defaced.

So it looks like you have a weapon made in WW2, apparently captured or turned in to the occupiers (Soviets), who then appear to have let the young DDR regime have it back to recondition it for police and reserve unit work. It should have some form of import marking on it as well from when it was sold off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the sear and installed it with no problem, except the post office lost the first shipment from Numrich! Works like a champ now...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Great news- good feeling when you can figure it out and make the right fixes! I make all the mistakes I can before doing the right move....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts