Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a P99 9mm (full size). I am now in the market for a holster (not necessarily for CC) but would like to know what options I have and what the benefits and drawbacks of each kind are.

I did a search to see if there was some sort of guide to holsters, but didn't find one. I know there are paddle holsters and belt holsters, but I don't really know the differences between them.

Any help would be great! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Belt holster: Held on outside of pants with belt:
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=66

Paddle holster: Has a large 'paddle' to stick inside pants to hold holster outside.
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=53

IWB Holster: Inside Waistband holster held by belt loops or clips:
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=61

Holsters are made of Leather, Kydex plastic or a combination of both.

I have a Comp-Tac Shirt-Tucker for my 2ndGen P99. Very comfortable and conceals very well.
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=46

Techrep

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, basically answered all my questions, including the unasked!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'd like to make one observation, again learned from long and expensive experience: don't buy cheap holsters, and get a good belt. It really does make a big difference and it isn't just the philosophy of a gear and gaget head. Below is a good example, shown with my HK P7M8 (I have one on order for my Walther but it hasn't appeared yet) in a Milt Sparks Watch Six holster. Thin, nice quality, expensive, and I can wear it all day without discomfort. Milt Sparks made me the nicest belt I have ever owned, too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Fobus is OK for the range, but I would not CCW with it since it is so flimsy the gun can be ripped from it sideways pretty easily.
Better Kydex holsters can be used for serious work.
In my experience, the leather/Kydex choice is the most important in IWB holsters since the fit to the smallest contours of your form affects comfort the most with IWBs.

·
Registered
489 Posts
BTW, I would like to +1 Guevera's comment about the belt: you need a true quality gunbelt since it is the foundation of your whole rig.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I'd be looking for a strong gunbelt and a strong holster? With IWB holsters (inside waist-band, right) do you wear a belt underneath your pants? And are paddle holsters at all sturdy, because it seems like they wouldn't really stay put... do the paddles bend if you want to wear it on your hip rather than in the small of your back?

More and more questions :p thanks again for answers thus far!

Edit: One more question!

With concealed carry holsters, is it possible to wear a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and not be made by everyone? I typically wear jeans, and a t-shirt or polo shirt, especially in the summer when it's 90+ degrees.

·
Registered
406 Posts
No, you're not wearing a belt under your pants, although congrats for even being able to picture that - I don't think I can summon up that image.

The holster is inside your pants and belt, with the loops or other attachment coming over the top of your pants and the belt going through or over that point.

On the subject of kydex and leather combinations, here is a good one in that field: the Tucker Gunleather holster called "The Answer." It certainly doesn't have the style of the leather Milt Sparks, but it is "tuckable" and is also a very comfortable design. That means that only the bottom of those hooks is visable to somebody looking at you since you have now tucked the shirt between the holstered gun and the top of your pants. You have to grab your shirt and pull it up and out to get to the gun, but it also means you can wear a tucked in shirt.

Speaking of t shirts and jeans, I just got back from the store with my P99 conpact in a IWB holster in jeans and a white t shirt covering it. My aforementioned Milt Sparks belt kept it tight to me and nobody was the wiser.

The Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" holster:

·
Registered
489 Posts
If your t-shirt is in any way form fitting, an IWB is going to be much easier to conceal.
And as a general rule, shirts with dark colors or randomized color patterns (e.g., Hawiian shirts) better conceal any gun-like printing pattern of your clothes that are in contact with the gun underneath. I have become a real fan of tuckable IWBs since they give you another dressing-style option if needed (while remembering that when in the tucked mode you are employing deep-concealment as opposed to regular IWB or OWB concealment).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts