Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seller backed out of the deal.

I've found a P99c AS available for sale and asked the seller to send me these pictures to see its condition. It's only fired approx 20 rounds.

Is there anything that sticks out in the pictures as something I need to be worried about? I've noticed some black on the recoil spring and I don't know what it means. Date code says 2013 manufacture and has the newer Walther Arms (non S&W) model number.

Is it good to go? Any issues with this date code? Should I buy it?

Thanks.

EDIT: Uploaded the full resolution non-scaled pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,267 Posts
I really can't tell much from those pictures. I've bought quite a few used pistols off Gunbroker and, so far, I've not been disappointed. Since these little jewels are so hard to find, I guess, if it were me I'd probably take the plunge, that is, if the price is right..... Or, you can wait a month or 2 or 3 or 4 and pick up a NIB P99C when the Walther ship arrives. I just saw the price......that's too much.....I'd wait for the ship.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just my .02, I'd be patient and wait it out. I acquired my P99C AS on Gunbroker last year LNIB for $435 w/3-10 rd mags, two of which have the finger extension. There will almost always be what you're looking for on GB, it's just a matter of timing...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I uploaded the full resolution pictures that show more detail. Is $600 for a pretty much new P99c AS worth it? In the ~8 months I've been looking for one, this is the ONLY 9mm P99c AS I've ever seen for sale online that was in LNIB condition. All of them are either .40 cal, QA or have 500+ rounds through them.

-----

I emailed Walther asking why the 9mm P99c AS was impossible to find and this was their response:

They are being “re-released” this year. You should start to see them on the market in a few months.
Who knows how many P99c AS in 9mm will be available in a few months... Or even if any of those will end up in California. (Actually, 100% guaranteed these won't be in CA now that all P99s have fallen off the roster.)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Others on here have much more experience than I concerning Walther pricing, but I didn't even pay that for my brand new 2014 P99AS a couple of months ago through GB ($525).

Please forgive me if this comes out wrong, I do not mean to insult your intelligence, but I would check around between Gunbroker, Armslist, GunsAmerica, etc. I would be willing to bet you could find what you're looking for in excellent condition if used or even brand new cheaper than $600.

·
Registered
590 Posts
What seems to be harder to find, is the Smith and Wesson SW99C variant with the AS trigger!

I hear you though, you can find the .40 version of the C all day long, especially the QA trigger model. Now, if I could just find one of them but in 9mm lol...

My apologies, I digress. I don't see anything wrong with the pistol from the pictures you uploaded.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What seems to be harder to find, is the Smith and Wesson SW99C variant with the AS trigger!

I hear you though, you can find the .40 version of the C all day long, especially the QA trigger model. Now, if I could just find one of them but in 9mm lol...

My apologies, I digress. I don't see anything wrong with the pistol from the pictures you uploaded.
What's that black stuff on the recoil spring? Is it just the blue paint/coating wearing off?

·
Registered
590 Posts
That's what it looks like to me. Like I said, I am relatively new to the Walther family myself, but unless somebody knows otherwise I think it would be exactly as you said with it just being the coating wearing off.

My question would be why is it wearing off if it only has approximately 20 rounds fired through it per the seller??? I will have to check when I get home from work at the end of the month, but I could swear that my recoil spring does not show that kind of coating wear, and I shoot a ton when I'm home.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, also the second picture shows some discoloration in the bar that's in the middle of the slide. That bar is bright silver on my P99.

Need some P99c veterans!

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Yeah, also the second picture shows some discoloration in the bar that's in the middle of the slide. That bar is bright silver on my P99.

Need some P99c veterans!
That's simply brass residue from the feeding of the rounds. If you don't have this on your pistol, you've either not shot it, just cleaned it, or are using brass that's coated with nickel (such as some of the Hornady ammo).

I'd buy that pistol..if it was a bit less. 550, or so. Of course, I'm impatient.

How bad do you want it, and can you wait a few months?
I've got one, so for me, I'd pass it up. However, if you are really jonesing....well, write the check. But first, as others have mentioned, look around..there may be a better deal to be had.

Worst comes to worst, I'd not fear that pistol's reliability. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Something to note is that the new 2014 pistols will not have the same German eagle proof mark, just the letters CIP.

Might be worth some extra bucks for the history of it.

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
My RSA looks the same after 50 rounds or so...a quick touch up with a toothbrush removes most of the deposits.

The price is a bit steep but because they are so hard to find, it is understandable.
I'll be surprised if the seller doesn't get close to his asking price from someone.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My RSA looks the same after 50 rounds or so...a quick touch up with a toothbrush removes most of the deposits.

The price is a bit steep but because they are so hard to find, it is understandable.
I'll be surprised if the seller doesn't get close to his asking price from someone.
Good to hear. I'm assuming RSA means recoil spring assembly?

I think I'll give the seller a call and see if he'll take $550 but I'll probably take it either way. I'm looking at another $150 from my FFL just so I can own it in CA, so every dollar will help.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Something to note is that the new 2014 pistols will not have the same German eagle proof mark, just the letters CIP.

Might be worth some extra bucks for the history of it.
Is that right?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Too much for a used gun, that sells for less new.

Walther P99C AS Pistol 9mm 3.5-inch BL 2-10rd Online Gun Store

GrabAGun lists them at $515, though they are out of stock currently. It's where I purchased mine.

Assigning collector value to the change in proof marks may have merit, 20 years from now, maybe.

This is a working pistol. Get one for the lowest price you can find and shoot the crap out of it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts