Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my P99 practically since they came out.... German maded.... got it from Earls......
hands down, my favorite gun i own....
i figured its time to get it a little brother, so i ordered a P99 Compact AS from my local shop...
still waiting for it to come in.......
while im waiting is their anything i need to know about them? are they as reliable as the full size ones?
My p99 is a first gen and i DO hate that they redesigned the new ones, and call the trigger pulls "AS".... sorta dorky..
also something annoying ive noticed with the new full size p99s..... why do they come with 15 round mags?
All i OWN are 16 round mags.... why even bother having one less round?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ive had my P99 practically since they came out.... German maded.... got it from Earls......
i figured its time to get it a little brother, so i ordered a P99 Compact AS from my local shop...
while im waiting is their anything i need to know about them? are they as reliable as the full size ones?round?

David S.

From my personal experience I find my P99c/AS to be more accurate FOR ME than my full size P99/AS. I also found out that using a different size grip backstrap will make a big difference in accuracy. I shoot much better with the small grip backstrap.

I think the deal with the 15rd mags, vs the 16rd mags of old is that there was some sort of problem with the 16's so Walther downloaded to a 15 as factory issued to resolve that problem. I use S&W 16rd'ers in my P99/AS and they function perfectly. (Got 'em off CDNN).

MY P99c/AS is the most accurate 9mm pistol I've ever owned or shot, and that's a pretty sizable batch..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 04 P99 40 all german and recently got 11 round german mags, a truely flawless gun in function and form,IMO and have shot the compact version in 40 cal, For me personally I like a full grip I also cleaned it later and the slide, trigger mechanism looks to be identical in every detail, both guns are AS trigger.As far as the new design,especially the longer mag release levers I hate it. They have turned the gun into a flashy pistol competition piece,my gun is mil.green looking for another just like it, your compact should be just as reliable as the full size,after all it's a Walther.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
David S.

From my personal experience I find my P99c/AS to be more accurate FOR ME than my full size P99/AS. I also found out that using a different size grip backstrap will make a big difference in accuracy. I shoot much better with the small grip backstrap.

I think the deal with the 15rd mags, vs the 16rd mags of old is that there was some sort of problem with the 16's so Walther downloaded to a 15 as factory issued to resolve that problem. I use S&W 16rd'ers in my P99/AS and they function perfectly. (Got 'em off CDNN).

MY P99c/AS is the most accurate 9mm pistol I've ever owned or shot, and that's a pretty sizable batch..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

thats really awesome to hear...
for my fullsize p99, the medium backstrap has always been perfect for me.... i tried the smaller one, but it put my hand at a odd angle..
i really have pretty small hands, but the medium strap just makes the gun sit like a glove in my hand..... PERFECT point and aim angle...
I hope to see the same from the Compact...

I have actually NEVER handled a P99 compact..... I have however handled the SW99 compact and it was alright...... just fugly with that sw slide on it.... lol

oh yeh, as someone whos an long time Walther lover, but hasnt been around the walther forums too much... what IS up with the SW99s? are they GONE?
i thought the SW99 45 was pretty nice, albeit fugly because its an sw, but i surely thought that would have opened the door for Walther to do a P99 45..?
an chances of that?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
what IS up with the SW99s? are they GONE?
i thought the SW99 45 was pretty nice, albeit fugly because its an sw, but i surely thought that would have opened the door for Walther to do a P99 45..?
an chances of that?
The SW99 is just about a piece of history. People prefered Walther over the Smith, they were not marketed very well and now that the M&P series is out....:eek:

I think you will like your compact. I do. It is every bit as accurate as my full size and probably my most favorite gun to shoot.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Walther went to 15 round mags because when police officers left the mags loaded a super long time, apparently the springs weren't as reliable. Over stressing them.

As for the SW(9. They were discontinued at the end of 2005. Then, they just kept making the SW990L (their version of the QA) thru the end of 2006. The 2007 print catalog for S&W does not show them, but I think the SW990L may still be on the S&W website. So, not sure what the current status of that is.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
All you really need to know about the P99c is go get one and have some fun. It's a joy to shoot, adjustable, as accurate as your hand will allow: It's an honest-to-god Walther, after all. THe P99c is a pleasure to take to the range -- certainly as much fun as the full-sized model, and even the P5 (and the P5 is awesome). Enjoy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
still waiting for it to come in.......
while im waiting is their anything i need to know about them? are they as reliable as the full size ones?
My p99 is a first gen and i DO hate that they redesigned the new ones, and call the trigger pulls "AS".... sorta dorky..
also something annoying ive noticed with the new full size p99s..... why do they come with 15 round mags?
All i OWN are 16 round mags.... why even bother having one less round?
P99 - you get 3 different backstraps.
P99C - you only get two: the medium and small.

The lil' P99C is just as reliable as the big ones. I bought mine used for a song 2 years ago and I never had any problems after hundreds or rounds. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger and decocker works great, I can shoot DA when I want to.

If you hate the new design of the P99 (semi-rounded trigger guard), you may not like the P99C's design as it just like the new P99 models except with a shorter butt, shorter slide and barrel.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i went to all my local dealers lookin for a p99c.... none could get one
except ONE guy
i stood there as he called and asked for it.... yes they had it in stock
it arrived today and i went by there and lo and behold it was teh full size AS!
crap!
so they are gonna reorder and hopefully its the right one...
i did, however handle the new AS.... this one didnt have the big ugly ambi slide release like i have seen on some..... in fact i REALLY liked it.
even tho i have a first gen , i came really close to getting this new one anyway,.....
maybe the first gens will become more valueable and can be a safe queen while i use the new one more.....?

·
Registered
28 Posts
well i went to all my local dealers lookin for a p99c.... none could get one
except ONE guy
i stood there as he called and asked for it.... yes they had it in stock
it arrived today and i went by there and lo and behold it was teh full size AS!
crap!
so they are gonna reorder and hopefully its the right one...
i did, however handle the new AS.... this one didnt have the big ugly ambi slide release like i have seen on some..... in fact i REALLY liked it.
even tho i have a first gen , i came really close to getting this new one anyway,.....
maybe the first gens will become more valueable and can be a safe queen while i use the new one more.....?
Something about the first gens is that I like their looks better. The P99 looks better with that "ski-hump" design on their triggerguards. I think it makes them look sleeker and sexier.

If you don't want your full-size P99 anymore, let me know :D . I can always use another pistol ;) .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts