Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard on www.thehighroad.com that walther or S&W has fixed the floorplate rail problem (cracking). This happened to me on the first range trip and I called on tuesday. The guy said Hes immediatly sending out the "good" ones. I hope these ones are high quality or else this gun is worth garbage to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem, I called yesterday and the gentleman said he would have mine out ASAP. Even with broke mag's the gun is priceless to me!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (agent323 @ Dec. 04 2004,1:49)]Even with broke mag's the gun is priceless to me!
I like mine, but with a broken magazine it's about as useful as a paperweight!

Good luck with the new plates. Make sure you test them at the range. The replacements can crack too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok I got the 2 new plates today. I dont think they will crack because they are the S&W plates, not the Walther ones. Ill tell you on saturday how strong they are. I dont think ill have any problems with these ones, though, because the .45 SW99 plates dont break and theres more mag presure in them.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Boo,

The last set they sent to me were S&W plates and they are holding up well (about 500 rounds) so far.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Went to the Range Saturday with a large group and a friend asked to try my Walther. After 10 rounds, the New Replacement Walther Base plates pops out of the bottom. (At least the original ones lasted more than one mag full!)

Anyway he hands the P99 back to me with the spring hanging out of the bottom and says "I'll keep my Glock."

How are we supposed to carry this gun? Mec-Gar/Walther/S&W needs to fix this problem fast.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This is weird.  I've been carrying and shooting my .40 P99's since they first came out (1998ish) and have never had this problem.  They must have changed something or Mec-Gar didn't mix the polymer correctly.

So now we have S&W baseplates breaking also?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My replacements have the Walther logo on them. Called S&W today and they said the shipment of replacements with the Walther markings have the same issue as the original. So now they are sending me S&W marked ones. The Rep seemed very confident that the S&W ones will solve the problem. I will post pictures of the S&W vs. broken Walther base plates when I get them in.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think it's pretty clear that there is a problem with a batch of the walther marked .40 cal floorplates. I can accept that. My problem with Walther is that they continue to ship out the defective ones.

I hope none of the LEO's mags bust loose in the line of duty...:(

·
Registered
47 Posts
MLB,

That was my though too, then I remembered that LEO all have the 12 round mags, which from what I have read work perfectly.

Since this only affects the Clinton-ban magazines I have wondered if the mag falling apart was actually a design feature.

As a side note, I have sent several polite emails to both Mec-Gar US and Mec-Gar Italy about this problem over the past few months and have yet to receive a reply. So let’s see, Mec-Gar make magazines that fall apart, they don’t respond to customer problems and they are the best in the industry?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I agree with your there MLB. When my mag fell apart on the first day of shooting my brand new gun I was frankly disgusted with the lack of quality of gun. It didn't help that the backstrap fits so poorly on mine. It's hard to believe this gun (well, these mags) passed police scrutiny to be selected as a service weapon. These are life threatening failures.

Of course you should practice the recovery of all kinds of failures (jams, squib loads etc.) but you want to start with reliable parts. The sad thing is that the rest of the gun seems to be made so well. IMO Walther should have sent replacement floorplates to all dealers who have stock with a note appologizing to the new owner but please replace the existing floorplates with these new ones. Or take all stock back, replace the mags and send back.

Aren't they afraid of a lawsuit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I ordered 12-rounders from S&W, they send me LEO marked ones.
Are these more reliable or they break like the rest?
I shot mine only once so far, 100 rnds total.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok I just got the new S&W marked base plates in and they are clearly from the same mold. The only apparent difference between the mold is the bottom part which has an S&W mark instead of Walther. Every mold line and dimension are identical.

I was hoping the S&W baseplate would be of a different design. As far as the plastic it seems to be identical except on the Walther baseplates there are more striation in the plastic around two of injection points.

So maybe the story of it being just a bad batch of plastic is true. However I still wish the S&W ones were made of metal or at least reinforced. I might fill the three cavities with a polymer filler to see if it helps strengthen them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts