Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I agree they shoot great and accurate too. I really like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
DonP, I have one ,they shoot great ,I hope you like it . Ayb
Bob, perhaps I've asked you before; is the PP .380 less 'snappy' than the PPK version, due to a little more slide mass in the PP?
Thnx,
Moon

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moon never shot a PPK in .380 but the PP is snappier than the .32 version for sure.

Don

·
Registered
964 Posts
Moon ,I think the longer barrel and slide and resultant mass makes it more sedate than the PPK OR /s but it has never seemed that rappy to me unless you compare it to the .32 . It is all a matter of degrees ,a 20 gauge is a soft shoot in a 870 Remington compared to a 12 gauge in the same gun . Much the same as a .25 would be in a PPK compared to a .32 ,or a.22 to a .25 . Where I find the largest discrepancy is between the Sig P238 compared to the P938 the nine is a mild shoot compared to the 238 which will beat the hell out of you by comparison . Ayb

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
The issue with the PP series isn't so much caliber as their blowback action, and the problem there is slide velocity and its abrupt stop. As everyone has noted, it doesn't really get to be a problem until the .380.

My notion was that the PP, with its longer/heavier slide, might develop less slide velocity.
Amazing the difference a locked breech makes. The .380 in a Glock 42 is a day at the beach.
Thanks,

Moon

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The "A" was applied before the serial number. It identifies the frame as intended for a PP .380, distinguished from a PP .32. The former is slotted in the magazine well for the rib on the .380 magazine.

PPs in .22 were similarly identified with "LR" instead of "A".

M

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The "A" was applied before the serial number. It identifies the frame as intended for a PP .380, distinguished from a PP .32. The former is slotted in the magazine well for the rib on the .380 magazine.

PPs in .22 were similarly identified with "LR" instead of "A".

M
Thanks Mike I just read that in my copy of Dieter’s book. He goes on to say the “A” was no longer applied after 1986. So I have 1969 gun fabricated at Manurhan and shipped to Walther for finish work.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Thanks Mike I just read that in my copy of Dieter’s book. He goes on to say the “A” was no longer applied after 1986. So I have pre 1986 slide and frame and frame and a 1996 barrel.
You misinterpreted the text. The mentioned suffixes were put on the frame only, not on the slides. And there were no more A suffixes for the late models, which were completely manufactured at Walther's in Ulm (and no LR suffixes anyway, because there were no more versions produced in .22 LR).

So there is nothing wrong with your gun.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Balogh I was in error including the slide as the “A” is not there. I was assuming the slide and frame were original mates. The 1969 barrel being the only newer part.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Balogh I was in error including the slide as the “A” is not there. I was assuming the slide and frame were original mates. The 1969 barrel being the only newer part.
The date code 69 belongs to the frame. So it's a PP proofed in 1969 and probably manufactured in the same year.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I’m confused, Dieter Marschall says the “A” was discontinued after 1986.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
So I’m confused, Dieter Marschall says the “A” was discontinued after 1986.
Yes, that's right because those models after 1986 were entirely made in Ulm. Their serial numbers start at 700001 (PP) and 800001 (PPK and PPK/S). In other words: the A suffix exists on the French made models.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If you notice the serial number indicates the pistol was probably made Manurhin and shipped in the white to Walther for final finish, hardening etc. I guess that explains the pre 86 frame and slide with a 69 barrel.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
If you notice the serial number indicates the pistol was probably made Manhurin and shipped in the to Walther for final finish, hardening etc.
That's tight. Your gun was pre-manufactured at Manurhin (please note the spelling) for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts