Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A Question About Interarms PPK .380 CCW Grips

Hello All,

Been debating about buying a PPK for months now for CCW. I've done my homework. God I would live a German original but can't spend $2.5K at the moment. And I hate the extended beavertail on the S&W (just a preference; I understand the point of it, but I have small hands so I am not in danger of "WaltherBite" lol). So...I decided to hunt down and Interarms from the 80's-90's. I finally found a blued/black .380 PPK online but I want to check something first:

I think it's a lovely gun. With the serial of K013383 it should be made somewhere between 1990-1991 I believe. Only slight wear near the barrel. I'll it cleaned and examined obviously.

My question is this: Will the grips I've seen online for modern PPK (mostly the S&W I assume) fit this model? Same question for mags? If not, can someone direct me to a mag that you know fits the interams models, as well as a place to get grips? Looking for a grip in either a nice dark wood or something similar, preferably with a thumb rest right handed.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Hi, Mike. That's a nice looking pistol.

The mags will work; anything mag made by Mec-Gar will work. The Interarms pistols were made to the same specifications that were used in the original pistols from Germany and France, so the grips should fit ... with should being the operative word. You may have to do some jiggling to get them to line up correctly.

Welcome to the forum; enjoy your time with us.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There are some experts here which I am not. However, done a lot of custom and engineering. What ever you put on it, make sure it fits. No jiggling. Grip should fit down in the frame recess with no shake and the moving parts should clear. Safety decocker and such. The one small screw is not designed to really keep grip from rotating. I got a set of grips for my PPK/S and they had obviously been worked on to fit another gun and fit my gun rather loosely. I did some inletting and sunk some shim in the grip. It is held firm by the inletting and shims the side to side play. Even with that, since my .380 is little more than a paperweight, and I only put them on since I like the old school wood look. If I were to carry a gun, I would put originals back on. Most Ebay aftermarket say they fit Interarms or Smith only and are not interchangeable..

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
from my understanding the S&W and Interarms are the same design?

GRIPS4u.net

These grips fit Walther model PPK made by S&W and the Interarms PPK pistols. These do not fit the PPK made by Walther in Germany; please see our "Walther PPK" pages for grips for your German-made PPK.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
There are factory IA and similar vintage PPK grips available on the web. I would suggest starting on eBay.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here's some dimensions of the area that fit into the frame recess on a set of factory interarms PPK/S 380. Note that it is the raised lip that fits into gun, not the width and length of the grip.

Left grip..upper x=1.215 lower x=1.408 y=2.238 recess=.090 deep with a c-bore another .04 deep.

Right grip..upper x=1.202 lower x=1.410 y=2.238 recess=.090 deep with a c-bore another .04 deep

Maybe someone cold post a Smith dimension.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Walther PPK's made in France/Germany are not the same as the Walther PPK made by Interarms in the USA. The F/G Walther's have a machined stamping to support the hammer spring and it protrudes past the bottom of the grip also forming a lanyard loop so to speak. The USA produced model has this support machined into the frame, therefore, doing away with this part. The US grip is slightly longer in this area.
Nill Griffe of Germany produces outstanding wood grips for different Walther models.
For the PPK he shows three in his catalog 1. for Ulm/Manurhin, 2. for Zella-Mehlis 3. for Interarms USA.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
RE. 1938's comments: I have successfully interchanged grips between an Interarms-made PPK and a commercial, German-stamped postwar model. The grips fit nicely. While I have not done that with a French model, I have no doubt that the results would be the same. Interarms used the same specs as the originals. S&W jiggered the mold, adding the extended beavertail, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
I have successfully attached a set of one-piece WWII-vintage Bakelite grips onto my Interarms PPK. The same with the two-piece style as well; indeed I can vouch for 100% Interarms/European model interchangeability as well. Ranger built the US-made version to exacting tolerance standards to the original Walther patent specifications

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not to be "picky", however, the German Walther is measured via metric, the USA made is in inches, the safety & firing pin is different, as is the hammer spring base. and the prewar, WW2, the rear sight is made as part of the slide.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
The S&W Grips are different and will not fit the earlier PPKs. When you look at the list of after market grips for the PPK and PPK/s. They will state that they are for the early or S&W PPK's.

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
That is one really handsome, blued Interarms pistol. Their value is going nowhere but up. Feel free to carry it concealed or drag it behind your car with a log chain; given time, the end result is about the same. :rolleyes:

My counsel would be to buy it, shoot it in moderation, and take care of it. For less than $3C you can have a Ruger LCP that will always go bang, and that you can carry and abuse with no guilt at all.

Your money and your call.
Moon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all so much for the suggestions.

I WON THE AUCTION AND AM ECSTATIC!

I am going to avoid the S&W grips, looking for other ones. Probably checkered wood for a good grip. Will also be ordering some of the mags someone suggested above, with the little rubber boots for the pinky.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WALTHER PPK

These are the mags I'm considering getting unless anyone else has a better suggestion for an early 90's interarms. Someone above suggested the mec-gars so thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Order away, Saborstrike. The Mec-Gar are factory-spec replacements and work like a charm. Be sure to purchase at least one magazine with the flat bottom in addition to the picky-rest; you may just find yourself preferring the flat bottoms (I do). The flat bottoms make the pistol much more concealable and, perhaps, more reliable.

-Pilotsteve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts