Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

· Administrator
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forum member PPK/S Hunter has put together a very informative document focusing primarily on post-1968 PPKs.

I learned a few things reading the document and drooled over the photos.

PPK/S Hunter has graciously volunteered to share his work with the forum.

I encourage the PPK fans and perspective fans here to give it a read.

Attachments

· Registered
660 Posts
Nicely done!

PS: I prefer the looks of the PPK, but believe the PPK/S is a better pistol. It's just as concealable as the PPK. In fact, the PPK/S with a flat floor plate mag is shorter than a PPK with an extended floor plate mag. Additionally, the PPK/S is equally pointable as the PPK, but with an additional round.

· Premium Member
2,383 Posts
The size of the document alone makes it clear that there is a lot of information in here. I have only been able to skim the work so far, but unfortunately I had to look at the exact place where Manurhin's company name has a misprint... probably the only one. I look forward to reading it in full and I am sure I will learn many new things. In the European literature I know, the American Walther products are always described only very superficially, especially when it comes to the Special model.

· Administrator
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The size of the document alone makes it clear that there is a lot of information in here. I have only been able to skim the work so far, but unfortunately I had to look at the exact place where Manurhin's company name has a misprint... probably the only one. I look forward to reading it in full and I am sure I will learn many new things. In the European literature I know, the American Walther products are always described only very superficially, especially when it comes to the Special model.
Hello Balogh. I am sure the author will be open to hearing about any misprints and such.

I know he ran the document by Dieter M before requesting it be posted but different eyes often notice different things.

· Registered
3,508 Posts
I had the honor of previewing some portions of PPK/S Hunter's massive effort to research his favorite PP-series pistol. This version of his research report, including the many excellent photos, is a valuable contribution to the WF. Thank you, Chuck, you did a great job!

Reactions: Jimmo952

· Premium Member
335 Posts
Thanks for the comments and feedback! Thanks to everyone who helped get this done and posted, much appreciated!!!
Your humbleness is admirable, this is so nice and great. It will allow any beginning Walther enthousiast to understand what great hobby they get into. I am with you and only collect PP series starting in the 50’s…..you might be able to create a book (printed copy) out of this, 41 pages…..to start with…..you got ”talent”…..hope you continue this for my other favorites, TPH and P88 series….cheers!

· Registered
48 Posts
Hello Balogh. I am sure the author will be open to hearing about any misprints and such.

I know he ran the document by Dieter M before requesting it be posted but different eyes often notice different things.
This is a great work of scholarship that IMO should be preserved. Perhaps the Administrators would consider making it a "sticky"

· Registered
48 Posts
Thanks. After reading the history I decided to take a hard look at the gun I've been shooting for almost 40 years. I think it is a Ranger. I bought it new on Jan. 28, 1983 from Treptow's Sporting Goods, Milltown ,NJ. Paid up front, approvals took about 3 months. Attached pix show the gun ,box, & contents. . No test target, Mfg date on box label. Barrel shroud has IV mark Plastic box fragile: got crushed/cracked I had to repair. Shot a lot & wore out a many parts. Gun "rebuilt" by Walther, Ft. smith soon after they opened. Still shoot it quite a bit, every Handwriting Air gun Trigger Yellow Gun barrel
Handwriting Trigger Gun barrel Material property Air gun
Rectangle Material property Font Fashion accessory Pattern
Trigger Revolver Font Gun barrel Publication
Font Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Rectangle
Font Material property Publication Handwriting Paper
Rectangle Font Motor vehicle Gas Wood
Rectangle Font Material property Gas Tints and shades

· Registered
48 Posts
Thanks. After reading the history I decided to take a hard look at the gun I've been shooting for almost 40 years. I think it is a Ranger. I bought it new on Jan. 28, 1983 from Treptow's Sporting Goods, Milltown ,NJ. Paid up front, approvals took about 3 months. Attached pix show the gun ,box, & contents. . No test target, Mfg date on box label. Barrel shroud has IV mark Plastic box fragile: got crushed/cracked I had to repair. Shot a lot & wore out a many parts. Gun "rebuilt" by Walther, Ft. smith soon after they opened. Still shoot it quite a bit, every View attachment 105396 View attachment 105397 View attachment 105398 View attachment 105399 View attachment 105400 View attachment 105401 View attachment 105402 View attachment 105404
An edit. "Still shoot it quite a bit"... every month or so 25-30 rds. depending on availability. Not shown, extra mag. without finger rest, supplied.Both mags stamped Walther banner Cal.9mm Kurz one side Banner Cal 380 acp the other.

· Registered
48 Posts
Let's keep this thread about PPKS document.

Nothing against your posts oldshot but I want to keep the focus in this thread on PPK/S Hunter's work.
No problem. I thought this was the correct place, as somewhere in the thread I get weekly as e-mail, I saw a link to add information to the Ranger s/n vs mfg dates compilation. So I posted. Obviously my post should go there. If you'd be so kind.....
Thanks..

· Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
PPK/s Hunter, thnx, I'll read your missive.
But a tip o' the hat for your courage, laying it all out before those here, who have forgotten more about the PP series than I'll ever know.
Attaboy, and slainte!
Moon

· Registered
73 Posts
Thoroughly enjoyed the read!! The accompanying pictures were an exquisite addition. It was obvious from the onset that this was a labor of love. I would hope that one day when you feel your work is complete it is offered in book form. I would indeed pay handsomely for a hardcover, numbered and signed edition.

That said; Bravo! Now I have to have a PPK/S. But from what decade? Which manufacturer? At this moment I do not know. But rest assured this work will be a valuable reference when deciding.

Thanks for Sharing!

· Premium Member
95 Posts
Thoroughly enjoyed the read!! The accompanying pictures were an exquisite addition. It was obvious from the onset that this was a labor of love. I would hope that one day when you feel your work is complete it is offered in book form. I would indeed pay handsomely for a hardcover, numbered and signed edition.

That said; Bravo! Now I have to have a PPK/S. But from what decade? Which manufacturer? At this moment I do not know. But rest assured this work will be a valuable reference when deciding.

Thanks for Sharing!
Thanks, personally I'd find a nice Manurhin. Good luck on your search.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts