Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a shame. Not one but even two mistakes happened to me when this gun was auctioned off two weeks ago. I bid for it successfully. And I relied, of course, or rather mistakenly, on the text in the auction catalogue, which described it as a former service pistol of the Zurich police in Switzerland. For this reason, and this was the second mistake, I had not even looked at the gun before the actual auction, although I would have had the opportunity.

It was only when I got home and looked closely that I noticed that the coat of arms stamped on the frame had nothing to do with the Zurich police. SIG Sauer fans will immediately notice the nettle leaf of course, which corresponds to the sign of the shutdown Kiel proof house. The leaf is also part of the coat of arms of the corresponding German federal state, which is Schleswig-Holstein. So this weapon is a former police pistol that was used there and not in Switzerland as stated in the auction catalogue.

Well, mistakes happen, but it's possible to learn from them at least. Actually, the holster should have made me suspicious, because I've never seen such a make before. In any case, my PP series collection is now richer by one mishap.
Sleeve Bag Beige Electric blue Personal protective equipment
Handgun holster Wood Everyday carry Strap Revolver
Handgun holster Personal protective equipment Electric blue Gun accessory Metal
Everyday carry Air gun Gun accessory Wood Rectangle
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun
Hood Light Grille Rim Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Nice just the same.
I've heard the nettle leaf referred to as the "squashed bug".

• Haha
Reactions: Balogh

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
That's a great looking PPK and I love that holster.

Why was it proofed in Kiel? Did the police want to watch it being done close to home?

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the holster is quite special. I searched on the net but I failed to find some useful information. Unfortunately, there is no stamp or marking on it. There's just a hand written surname that I read as "Heger".

The mentioned nettle leaf sign -- it really resembles a squashed bug -- isn't part of the proof mark but part of the Schleswig-Holstein state police's coat of arms. I don't know where the gun was actually proofed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's hard to think of such a nice pistol as a mistake! I'd love to have a Kiel proofed PPK.

PS: I remember visiting the Submariner war memorial there with my Father. (It's in Laboe, just outside Kiel.)

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hard to think of such a nice pistol as a mistake! I'd love to have a Kiel proofed PPK.
To own this isn't strictly a mistake. But it was kind of a double-mistake by me how it found its way into my collection. :) I have no idea where this PPK was proofed. The Kiel sign can be seen in the state police's coat of arms only.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS: I remember visiting the Submariner war memorial there with my Father. (It's in Laboe, just outside Kiel.)
Unfortunately, I have never been to the far north of Germany before, but I'd definitely like to travel there one day... aufgeschoben ist nicht aufgehoben, as the Germans say (postponed isn't cancelled).

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
SIG Sauer Eckernförde production has the squashed bug marking........

Material property Cylinder Magenta Bumper Tints and shades

I was under the impression this was the Kiel proof house making.🤔

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was under the impression this was the Kiel proof house making.🤔
Yes, that is correct. I realise that my expression wasn't precise enough. I need to apologise for my humble English. The former Kiel proof house mark indeed corresponds to a stylised nettle leaf of course. My statement that the proof mark doesn't show it, doesn't refer to the Kiel proof mark in general, but only to the proof marks found on this PPK in question. On this gun, the nettle leaf is only pictured in the coat of arms.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Yes, that is correct. I realise that my expression wasn't precise enough. I need to apologise for my humble English. The former Kiel proof house mark indeed corresponds to a stylised nettle leaf of course. My statement that the proof mark doesn't show it, doesn't refer to the Kiel proof mark in general, but only to the proof marks found on this PPK in question. On this gun, the nettle leaf is only pictured in the coat of arms.
Hahaha.
Your English is better then a significant portion of native born US citizens who speak it here.
No apologies necessary.👍

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
336 Posts
Your PPK does not have a civil proof stamp but the "Beschuss- und Abnahmestempel des Bundesverteidigungsministeriums" (proof and acceptance stamp of the Federal Ministry of Defense).
Is it known where these proof tests were carried out?

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it known where these proof tests were carried out?
I searched on the net but didn't find any useful hints with one single exception. Somewhere I read that the "Bundesamt für Ausrüstung, Informationstechnik und Nutzung der Bundeswehr Bundesamt für Ausrüstung, Informationstechnik und Nutzung der Bundeswehr" situated in Koblenz is responsible for such non-civil proofs. But I wouldn't be too surprised if all the commong proof houses in Germany were able to test and mark the guns according to the needs of the federal authorities.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You won't find anything about it in Dieter Marschall's book. But maybe he knows more and could comment on it here in the forum.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's even difficult to read the number under the eagle's wings. I have to compare it to other similar marked guns I own. I can't tell by heart if they all show the same numbers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts