Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading in here that Walther's Anti-Stress trigger system would no longer be available. I went to Walther's site and sure enough, there is just the P99 and the P99 QA listed. But when I read the information for the P99, it reads like that is the AS setup. What gives? So are they not making any more P99 AS and just making AS the standard now the standard P99? This confusion is killing me as that is the trigger setup I want, but I don't want to scrounge to find one that has AS stamped on it if it doesn't really matter!

·
Registered
88 Posts
i do not like the AS trigger. the first click annoys me abunch and i can't shoot very accurate with the long pull. It bugs me but ill have to get used to it

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don't judge anything by the Walther website...it's the worst maintained in the industry! I was excited to find the link to download the PDF version of the catalog -- until I realized it was the 2003 catalog! The pistols they show on the web site are 2003 models -- you can tell by the "hump" in the trigger guard.

According to the ShotShow participants, the AS trigger is going away in favor of the QA. If you find one marked AS, then it will have the traditional DA/SA action. They started marking them in 2004.

·
Registered
471 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Navy87Guy @ Feb. 23 2005,7:34)]According to the ShotShow participants, the AS trigger is going away in favor of the QA. If you find one marked AS, then it will have the traditional DA/SA action. They started marking them in 2004.
Noooooo.... You gotta be kidding me... I love that AS, DA/SA trigger... Well, if your right, then I'm real glad I have three of them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, for the sake of clarity, I called Walther. The rep said that there are the P99 and the P99 QA. The P99 is what the AS used to be. The QA and the DAO are now the same thing. So there you have it...I guess.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Probably a good idea. Too many silly little modifiers. P99, P99AS, P99QA, P99DAO, P99QPQ, old frame, new frame, ...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, I just checked with Dr Lunde, who was at Shot Show. Walther is not going to stop making the AS, but Walther America (aka Smith & Wesson) will only import the QA version starting this year. The AS version will still be available (probably exclusively) through Earl's. You know what that means for the price...

So get your AS's while you can -- they will be hard to come by in the near future!

·
Registered
471 Posts
That's very interesting Navy87Guy... I wonder why that would be? Maybe the demand for the "AS" is declining... I happen to prefer it...

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hal8000 @ Feb. 24 2005,7:39)]That's very interesting Navy87Guy... I wonder why that would be? Maybe the demand for the "AS" is declining... I happen to prefer it...
I'm with you, Hal. I don't like the idea of having a loaded gun that won't go "BANG" when I pull the trigger. I'm perfectly happy to put up with the stronger double action pull for a first shot. But it seems like the "trend" right now is for consistent trigger pull.

I guess the QA is designed to allay the fears of people who like the Glock trigger but don't feel comfortable carrying something that could go off with 3.5 - 5 lbs of pull. I'm from the school that says if you carry the pistol in a proper holster that covers the trigger, then the only way it will discharge is if you put a finger on the trigger and pull it.

If I don't stop and buy my P99AS on the way home tonight, I'll be there tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have to say that the more I read about DAO (by Mas Ayoob for example) and the benefits of safeties (Ed Gonzalez) the more I'm concerned that an AS might not be the best choice in a firefight after the first shot. I've never been in a firefight (thankfully) but their positions that 'flinching' and other instinctive reactions to gun fire will cause fingers to jerk makes a lot of sense to me. A light trigger (i.e. AS in SA mode after first shot) would be very easy to fire when you don't intend to.

Having said that, I love my AS for the range. If I were in a defensive situation I'd have the gun decocked (DA) for sure. I practice firing it like that all the time. It's plenty accurate.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I see two sides to this issue:

First, I agree that when the SHTF, the 5.5 lbs of trigger pull for SA won't seem like anything at all. But by the same token, I'm not sure the 9 lbs of a DA pull will feel like much with the adrenaline rush. The likelihood of squeezing off a round unitentionally is always there. Of course, you shouldn't have your finger on the trigger unless you're ready to shoot anyway!.

Second, there's the issue of DA shot accuracy. I guess it's something you can train to, but look at the general error between the DA and SA shots with a traditional action like the AS (or my Sig or Ruger). That long, hard pull for the DA has got to be more likely to induce an error than the lighter SA pull. I think that gets magnified if you fire anything BUT DAO....I would think it would be very difficult switching between a DAO and a Glock or another DA/SA. I think I'd prefer to fight the first shot error problem if the trade-off was easier subsequent shots and more accuracy.

I'm not Ayoob...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Select last night.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You crack me up Navy87Guy!

Seriously though, I have been in a shooting. I used my Sig P226 9mm. DA/SA... And your right Navy87Guy, you don't even notice the heavier trigger pull on the first shot. The LE remarked at my good shot grouping, and yet I spread the shots out to hopefully miss a 2x4 in the corner of the wall the BG was behind... (it was only about 10 feet away!) (I figure they thought it was good because I didnt shoot a picture off the wall or something)

On qualifications, we have to shoot the first round in DA, and that has not bothered me either, I still get my 100%.

At my home, I stand and pull my P99, double tap at a gong 180 yards off, and you'd be surprised at how often I can hit that gong with the long trigger pull of the DA... My mind has NO problems with the DA to SA transition...

Being that I'm the type of individual that will just as likely carry my pistol in a string holster, or even just stick it in my back pocket to go to the barn, I really prefer the "AS" or DA/SA pistols as in my Sig's or my Walther P99...

I have a G26, and it is always in a holster because of it's easy, all the time trigger... Glocks have their place, and I like them for what they are... The only negative thing I can say about a Glock is that it doesnt have the second strike capability that the Walther, or Sig (and others) have got. To me, that puts the Glock into more of a BUG than a primary weapon... But that's my opinion (and another topic)...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts