Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Walther PPK\S

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know this might be a baised place to ask this question, but I know that many ppl here are gun fans, as well as Walther fans. So, put aside that P99 and give me your honest answer.
I have been looking for a smaller CCW for the summer. I love my P99, and NOTHING will ever replace it as my main CC gun, but I would like to have something smaller that I can hide REALLY well.
So I have the choice of the two above, both the same price, and both new. How would you go? I have shot the P232, and while I love the way it shoots, I did not like the mag release or the decocker. I have not had the luck of getting my hands on the new PPK/s as of yet.
Thanks to all for your time, and stay safe!
(BTW: As of yet, I am not really sold on either of these guns. If anyone has a better sugestion for a small CCW, feel free to throw that in:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Of the choises given I voted 232 as I have a 230 ( basicly the same gun with very minor updates )
I do want a PPK though.
For a smaller 380 and a great gun in its own right look into the North American Arms Guardian 380.
Great gun, Small VERY well made, very reliable, the smallest and best 380 on the market.
Customer service second to NONE.
By the way I have one of these also and love it.
Put it in a Ron Graham pocket holster and carry it always.
But when it is to big/heavy or being armed that well is not necessary I carry my new TPH in a Ron Graham Rear Pocket Holster also

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am struggling with a similiar question - carry with lightweight summer clothes. For me I need to have sturdy pants, a good belt, and a long cover to go over the P99. When I cannot do that I am experimenting with my PPK/S and a Glock 26. To my suprise I am finding the Glock to be easier on the waist when wearing less than adequate pants or shorts - it just fits and balances better with a lesser quality holster and waistban. This leads to me a suggestion - if you are looking for something smaller and lighter consider the new compact SW99 - you get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
I know I'm new here but since you asked...
My shooting/carry PPK is a 1960's gun and it shoots about 2" at 50', so I'm a little biased. The SIG's a great gun (I,too have a 230, but in .32ACP) but kind of thick, tho it's not too heavy. At the risk of opening up a new can of worms, the Kel-Tec P-32 is a great, light flat little gun, but it's only a .32ACP and has virtually no sights. Since you said .380 cal, I mentioned the Kel-Tec since they are supposed to be releasing a P-32-sized .380 that's .78" thick and about 7 oz. Check their web site. If you want something without sights, you may wish to consider the Kel-Tec (the sights are like the base-model NAA Guardian) when they are released.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I, personally, wouldn't choose either gun in this poll. IMHO, by today's standards, I don't consider them size/weight efficient for a .380. When I feel inclined to carry a .380, I resort to carrying my Colt Pony Pocketlite. When they become available, I would like to purchase a Kel-Tec P3AT.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, now this is a shock.
First, thanks to everyone for the input.
Today, I went to the range, and the person in the next lane had a Glock 26. He let me put a few rounds through it, and i loved it

I have to give it some more thought, but the idea of not having to buy yet another type of ammo is nice, and that little sucker felt good shooting.
Who knows, maybe I will go over to the Dark(Glock)- Side

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Glock 26 is a great little pistol.  It's surprisingly accurate. I love mine.  Get the Glock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Glock 26 is an excellent gun. I love mine, too. I used to have a Kahr P9 when they first came out and it was unbelievably accurate, but heavier than the Glock, which is why I traded the Kahr for the Glock. Am currently considering one of the polymer Kahr's in 9mm, since they're lighter and thinner than the Glock. There's a soon-to-be-released new alloy 9mm coming out called the Rohrbaugh R-9: .82" thick and about 12oz. Sounds interesting, but pricey. These are all excellent guns, but lack the elegance of a PPk, in my opinion.

·
Registered
713 Posts
A good summer carry is the 380 Bersa looks and feels like a PPK/S  The trigger on mine out of box was great never a jam no matter what ammo, This is one fine pistol for about $200 I now use mine as my practice gun for my PPK/S I have several friends that now  own  one after trying mine. Use Cor Bon ammo and your ready to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My choice is the PPK, not a PPK/S. If the PPK wasn't available I'd just use my PP. Never could see any advantage to the PPK/S over the PP.
As to the Pocklite, isn't it single action?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've fired the SIG 230 next to my PPK/S. The SIG is a fine gun, but larger than the Walther and not quite as good looking IMO. That is really not that important for a carry gun though. The sig felt somewhat better in my hands due to the grips. They were wider and flush with the backstrap as opposed to the Walther which are set back a bit, concentrating the recoil more. The SIG also had a much better trigger pull.

I haven't had one in my hand, but many rave about the Kahr K40. About the same size as the Walther, but .40 caliber.

·
Registered
83 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (michael t @ June 10 2004,1:25)]A good summer carry is the 380 Bersa looks and feels like a PPK/S  The trigger on mine out of box was great never a jam no matter what ammo, This is one fine pistol for about $200 I now use mine as my practice gun for my PPK/S I have several friends that now  own  one after trying mine. Use Cor Bon ammo and your ready to go.
That wouldn't happen to be the Bersa 383DA would it? I sold those for years!!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
This seems to be the thread from the depths. It's still made it's way up to the front page after nearly 2 years!

Hopefully, he's picked something up by now...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a SIG 230, a 230SL, a 232, a PPK/S (Interarms) , several FEG R-61 pistols and an SMC380 as well as a Keltec P-32 and a Bersa 383.  I have carried them all. (I am avoiding the Glock discussion because personally I hate the triggers and they just don't fit my hand).

Each of the ones I mentioned have pros and cons.  The stainless models are easy care.  The R-61 pistols have the advantage of the 9mm mak round which in it's basic form is more powerful than all but the hottest .380 rounds.  It is also very comfortable to shoot considering the power and the fact that it is the lightest of the lot (except the P-32, of course).  I changed out the trigger spring to #9 and added a Hogue Jr. slip-on grip and it has the best DA trigger and feel of the lot.

The P-32 is a joy to shoot and believe it or not, very accurate at defensive distances.  Loaded with Winchester Silvertips, it has ballistics close to a standard .380 round and can fit in a shirt pocket.  

The Bersa is also a great pistol, but a bit wider and heavier than some of the others.

The 230 and 232 are the most naturally pointing pistols I have ever shot, the .380 equivalent of the comfort of the 9mm Browning HP.  They are very accurate, have the half-cock option, have several safety mechanism and are definitely the best looking of the lot.

The Walther is a great pistol, but is not as ergonomic as the SIG or even the R-61 ( a pistol that is a Walther PP clone with an alloy frame).

So, right now my current warm weather carry is a 232 with an Uncle Mikes IWB holster and a P-32 for those times when I must wear really light clothing or go to a place where concealment is a problem.  

Absent the SIG, it would be the FEG R-61 and it would be a tossup between the Bersa and Walther otherwise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question for cigarman.I have 4 FEG SMC's 2 in 9x18.When using hot 9x18 loads sometimes the mag will come out while firing in one of my SMC's.Has that ever happened to you you with either of your FEG pistols?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I talked to a buddy that owned three different PPK's & PPK/S and a P230 and P232.

He basically said that a Sig is a better shooting gun, more reliable, and better made than the PPK. He said that the SIG is heavier than a PPK, and bigger too. There is then the personal choice about a gun with a safety and one without.

He also agreed with me that the PPK will bite you, but that can be stopped with thicker grips. He sold one of his new (S&W) PPK/S because of the grip slip problem I had. He just wanted to unload the POS. I told him how I fixed mine and he wished he had know that before.

He also thought that the PPK/S was very accurate.

The Sig is not a pocket gun - too big and heavy. He thought there are guns with better caliber choices that were in the same league as the 232 for IWB use.

So it depends on what you want to use it for.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts