Walther Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, Manurhin(French company) made all the Walthers for quite some time because Germany wasn't allowed to manufacture small arms after the war. They were then sent to Ulm, Germany where they were assembled. That's where the Ulm deer antler proof mark comes from. I'm not talking about blued Walther's. Those were manufactured for many years and imported by Interarms. Then, S&W took over in 1999 and quit in 2012. Now, Interarms is making them again in the US in Arkansas. The company is called Walther USA. I have a 1970 W. German and a 1973 W. German, both blued. The rest are much newer; a stainless S&W and a blued and a stainless Walther USA. But, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for my grail gun, a 1969 or 1970 W. German Walther PPK/S 380 in nickel.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Manurhin/Walther offered several different finishs (chromed, nickle plated, gold plated, engraved etc.) until 1986. If you wish to have a nickle 69's, OK.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a standing order with Earl for it. Thanks. What I'm really looking for right at the moment, is an OEM Korth box for my Korth Dynamit Nobel Combat 3" .357 magnum revolver. I found one for my Manurhin MR73, but the Korth's are like hen's teeth.

·
Premium Member
8,500 Posts
Now, Interarms is making them again in the US in Arkansas. The company is called Walther USA.
I think you may want to check your facts. Interarms is not part of the Walthers Arms Ft. Smith Arkansas concern.
Still it is nice that the PP platform is being made in the USA again. It allows for a PPK to be produced (even if it does have an ugly beaver tail).

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Yes, Manurhin(French company) made all the Walthers for quite some time because Germany wasn't allowed to manufacture small arms after the war.
Yes and no. Walther Germany started manufacturing small arms entirely already in 1957 (P1 and P38 models for example). So the time frame in which Manurhin exclusively produced and sold the PP and PPK because of post-war restrictions in Germany was the very short period from 1954 to 1956.

I'm not talking about blued Walther's. Those were manufactured for many years and imported by Interarms.
You're talking about which guns exactly?

Then, S&W took over in 1999 and quit in 2012. Now, Interarms is making them again in the US in Arkansas. The company is called Walther USA. I have a 1970 W. German and a 1973 W. German, both blued. The rest are much newer; a stainless S&W and a blued and a stainless Walther USA. But, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for my grail gun, a 1969 or 1970 W. German Walther PPK/S 380 in nickel.
You may check some other facts as well. In 1999 it wasn't Smith & Wesson to take over; it was Walther USA, LLC instead. Smith & Wesson followed in 2002 and manufactured the PPK and PPK/S until 2013. Last year Walther Arms, Inc. started producing the PPK and PPK/S again

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes and no. Walther Germany started manufacturing small arms entirely already in 1957 (P1 and P38 models for example). So the time frame in which Manurhin exclusively produced and sold the PP and PPK because of post-war restrictions in Germany was the very short period from 1954 to 1956.

You're talking about which guns exactly?

You may check some other facts as well. In 1999 it wasn't Smith & Wesson to take over; it was Walther USA, LLC instead. Smith & Wesson followed in 2002 and manufactured the PPK and PPK/S until 2013. Last year Walther Arms, Inc. started producing the PPK and PPK/S again
Manurhin tells a different story in all that I've read. But, if you say so and know more about it then me, which is highly likely, then good on you. I don't claim to be an expert. I just have read different articles with mostly the same information, so I assume they know what they're talking about. Kind of like who really released COVID-19 on the world? Was it Dr. Anthony Fauci who moved his research on Corana Virus to the Wuhan lab in China against the law and then gave the Chinese about $3 plus million dollars to continue research that was declared unnecessary and dangerous? You have one story saying it was a Chinese virologist, another saying Dr. Fauci, another with the Chinese saying it was the US. Who is correct? Same with the Walther PPK/S which is the only pistol that I'm interested in. I don't care about the P1 or P38 models or really who makes it now. I'm looking for a 1969 or 1970 W. German factory plated nckel PPK/S in .380 acp. That is my only interest aside from finding an OEM Korth box for my Korth Dynamit Nobel Combat .357 mag revolver. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
I'm looking for a 1969 or 1970 W. German factory plated nckel PPK/S in .380 acp.
It isn't possible to know everything and it isn't a shame. For example, I have absolutely no idea whether a German marked factory plated nickel PPK/S was ever made in 1969 or 1970. Just because I have never seen one, it doesn't mean that they don't exist.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Mike, it's not as complicated ;). Manurhin made the parts, delivered to Walther in the white (slide!), where the guns were marked, hardened, fitted, finished and proofed.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Walther Germany started manufacturing small arms entirely already in 1957 (P1 and P38 models for example). So the time frame in which Manurhin exclusively produced and sold the PP and PPK because of post-war restrictions in Germany was the very short period from 1954 to 1956.
I just a got a PM. The post-war restrictions that forbid Germany to manufacture guns were a result of the Potsdam Conference held in 1945 shortly after the war. It didn't last ten years. German gun manufacturers were able to produce and export again already in the middle of the Fifties.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A gentlemen on another thread listed a link to a PPK-L that was factory nickel plated. I believe the Ulm proof mark was for either 1973 or 1974. I have seen another PPK/S with a 1973 Ulm proof mark that a gentleman showed pictures of. Nickel Interarms W. German PPK/S? which I would buy in a heartbeat if he wanted to sell it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here is the link to the PPK-L, it is a 1973 as well... Waffensammlung Earl, who I spoke of, is the only authorized Walther and Korth representitive in the US as I understand from what I have read. He only works on German Walthers and will not work on any others like S&W or the Walther USA ones. He is 'the' go to guy for everything German Walthers, parts, repairs, etc. I spoke with his wife Bringit, or something of that nature, and she talked with Earl when I called about a nickel plated PPK/S in pre-70. Earl said '69 was the earliest nickel plated Walther PPK/S. So, that is why I have a standing order with him to contact me if either a '69 or '70 PPK/S factory nickel plated .380 ACP show up for sale.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts