Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
What is the value of the nickel plating over the Stainless Steel...?

Asked by a junior member - PPK/S (10/25/96) I/A owner

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What is the value of the nickel plating over the Stainless Steel...?
Probably no actual difference in value between the two other than to the owner's particular finish preference. Like someone said earlier in this thread, refinishing ANY potentially collectable firearm decreases the overall value, even though there might be aesthetic improvements from what the gun was previously.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I see an antler on the frame below the ejection port, any numbers or letters visible with that antler?
The only characters that I see near the antler is what appears to be the letters "IA," or perhaps "1A." And, the let "Z" to the right of the sideways eagle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
On the slide near the ejection port is an eagle stamp with what might be the characters "F1" below it.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Puts it at 1991 to my limited knowledge.

EDIT: Read Martin's post for A=0 again. My bad, started with A=1 for the "1991" date above. Correct to 1980!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Normally you find a two letter date code between eagle/N and antler (German proofmarks) on the right side of the frame above the trigger, but I'm not able to read. The meaning is: A = 0 - K = 9 (no J !), for example IA = 80 => 1980.
Just to point it out ones more again. And by now I'm able to read what I thought before...

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
The only characters that I see near the antler is what appears to be the letters "IA," or perhaps "1A." And, the let "Z" to the right of the sideways eagle.
That's no a "Z." It's part of the "Eagle over N" proof mark, which as you observed with the eagle was struck onto the frame "sideways.

Have no idea about the "IA," "1A," or whatever that is.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Eagle over "N" is the German "Nitro" smokeless gunpower proof mark. The proof is oriented sideways on the frame and upright on the slide. I believe there's one on the barrel tip also. The "antler" is the proof mark for the proof house in Ulm/Donau Germany, where the Walther factory was/is located after WW2. It's faint but the date code looks like IA therefore 1980. They built a lot of PPKS' that year as mine is 245XXX and still a IA date code as I mentioned previously.

FYI, there have been some discussions on the serial number versus date stamp other places regarding the question" when was it actally manufactured? "

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Finally got around to getting some range time with this newest "family member."

As expected with a German-made PPK series, the functioning was absolutely flawless. Even with some intentional limp wrist firings and mixing ammo (which were all round ball low-to-medium power brand name target loads).

Accuracy was also spot-on at 15 yards in the single-action mode. Of course there was a very slight deviation from the grouping with the first shot DA mode.

Bottom line is, I'm more than pleased with this latest acquisition. (And of course, I'll lie to myself by saying that I now have all the Walthers I want or need. Yeah, right . . . ;) )

·
Premium Member
8,500 Posts
You do have all the Walthers you need Steve...until the next one appears on your radar.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Accuracy was also spot-on at 15 yards in the single-action mode. Of course there was a very slight deviation from the grouping with the first shot DA mode.
A little practice and you'll soon not be able to tell just by looking at the target later which shot was the double-action one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Steve
I have found that is there is a very wide line between wants and needs...and that you can fit a number of Walther's in between the two!!!!
Enjoy....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Love to hear the range reports when you get time...also please send a picture of the sights.
I am wondering how the added plating impacts the look of the sights...and if there is any impact on the slide tolerances and therefore operation...?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
...also please send a picture of the sights.
I am wondering how the added plating impacts the look of the sights...and if there is any impact on the slide tolerances and therefore operation...?
Fortunately, the sights were left black (blued) and the ridged finish on the top of the slide does not introduce any unwanted glare.

The nickel finish doesn't actually go into the internal workings, so there's no tolerance or functionality issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's beautiful whoever did the work. The 1969 date sounds too early on a .380 but I'd have to look it up. My guess would be early 1980's.
You would be wrong. W. German PPK/S in .380 ACP were made up to about 1974. The nickel ones in .380 would have been around 1969 according to Earl's Walther Repair. I know, because I'm looking for one in nickel and spoke with Earl yesterday. 5/13/2020.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
You may ask Earl about the meaning of German proof date. IA is what it is => 1980. Btw: Manurhin/Walther made these guns up to 1986, later ones were made by Walther until 1999.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts