Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest Walther acquisition: a West German-made (Interarms imported) nickel-plated PPK/S in .380 auto. The serial number puts its manufacture somewhere around 1969 (I think . . . ).

I haven't shot it yet, but I will report upon doing so. A few minor plating chips here and there, but otherwise it's in very nice condition aesthetically.

Anyone have an idea as to how many nickel-plated PPK's or PPK/S's were made and imported??

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I believe that none were imported, but Interarms did have some guns electroless nickel plated in the US after import (not shiny like yours.....more of a satin finish). You gun is more likely a fine aftermarket finish, possibly by Ford's or Accurate Plating & Weaponry.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's beautiful whoever did the work. The 1969 date sounds too early on a .380 but I'd have to look it up. My guess would be early 1980's.
Thanks, Milspec.

If you can find out a more accurate manufacture date, please let me know.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
The serial number range of the PPK/S 9mm kurz (Manurhin/Walther) finished in 12/85 with serial number 267721. So Milspec is right, early 80th. Normally you find a two letter date code between eagle/N and antler (German proofmarks) on the right side of the frame above the trigger, but I'm not able to read. The meaning is: A = 0 - K = 9 (no J !), for example IA = 80 => 1980.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Yes, there were. But this was not one of them.

I don't mean that to be disparaging. But one of the reasons folks --including myself-- come to this forum is, hopefully, to learn. While your new pistol is certainly deserving of all the oohs and aahs that it garnered, it should not be mistaken for factory-original work. There are signs, and with experience --once you've looked at enough examples-- you can tell at a glance.

M

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice pistol BTW and it looks like a pretty good finish on it. As Martin mentioned regarding the serial number/ date, Your PPKS is likely a 1978-79 proofed gun. It was originally date stamped next the the Ulm proof /Nitro marks on the frame but likely was buffed out during the refinish. My PPKS is date stamped 1980 (IA) and is serial number 245XXXS. Maybe other members could help zero in on the year a bit more.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 1969 date sounds too early on a .380 but I'd have to look it up. My guess would be early 1980's.
My PPKS is date stamped 1980 (IA) and is serial number 245XXXS.
I'm assuming that's based upon the serial numbers of German-made rather than US-made (Ranger) PPK/S's, correct??

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While your new pistol is certainly deserving of all the oohs and aahs that it garnered, it should not be mistaken for factory-original work.
Good to know, since I wasn't completely familiar with the factory finish options. The good news is, I wasn't expecting this one to be a collector's piece, especially at the price I paid for it. In the mean time, I'll simply enjoy this nice German-made PPK/S (and the accompanying oohs and aahs ;)).

Anyway, it's great to have your expertise on this forum, Mike. Thanks again.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way, Mike, what year did Interarms stop importing German-made PPK/S's?

For that matter, what year did Walther discontinue the production of the German-made PPK series (imported to US or not)??

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
By the way, Mike, what year did Interarms stop importing German-made PPK/S's?

For that matter, what year did Walther discontinue the production of the German-made PPK series (imported to US or not)??
I'm neither Mike, nor do I know the answer to your first question. As to the second — 1999.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts