Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent back a NEW P99 AS .40 with bore pitting after only 200 rds of factory FMJ. :mad: I shot it twice, cleaned it immediately afterward as I do with all of my precision firearms and looked down the bore :eek: To my suprise and dismay I saw pitting on all of the lands running the length of the barrel. I'd hoped that my initial impression was wrong so I JB'd the hell out if it but to no avail. The bore was definately pitted:( . Im bummed out but not mad at Walther. Every barrel maker gets a bad batch of steel once in a while. Its just an improper ammount of sulfur suspended in the steel. In a barrels life it forms small channels the lenghth of the barrel and slowly burns off. This forms "stress cracks" left by the absent sulfer. Thats why an old barrel takes a while longer to clean (Metal fouling gets lodged in these cracks consequently taking more work to get out). In my case there was an improper suspension of the element, it formed "pockets" and immediately burned off. Hence the pitting.
Im positive that the shop techs at S&W will see the defect and fit me with a new barrel.... I just dont want to wait! I love my 99! Other than the pitting there is absolutely nothing to complain about. Best damned pistol I've ever owned. No regrets!
Dont let my odd experience hinder any of you from buying P99's It is definitely not typical of Walthers or any other quality firearm. A fluke. Its just my luck I guess;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Duffer? No sir!

You said it was factory FMJ - what brand of ammo was it?

Also, what chemical did you use to clean the bore with?

thorn
CCI Blazer 180gr. and Remmington UMC 180gr.

I use Butches Bore Shine(developed for benchrest rifles). Also S&W lubricant and protectant afterwards.

Its the same combination I use and have used for years on all of my match rifles. Im not kidding you. Its the damnedest thing.
Im a nationally ranked precision shooter(Distinguished, Hi Master Rifleman) and have shot and maintained fine weapons all my life. Never have I ever experienced anything like this. Ive heard stories of sour barrels but they are few and far between(and once discovered they go in the trash) so Ive never had the opportunity to personally inspect one. Weird huh?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any of you guys ever have to send a pistol back to S&W for anything? Im just wondering about how long it took them to get around to it. Im anxious to get it back. Ive never liked having MY pistol in someone elses posession. Guess Ill have to shoot my 1911 for now(sigh)

·
Registered
118 Posts
tenex,

After a call to S&W, they e-mailed me a UPS shipping label. After packing and boxing, I caught a UPS truck in the neighborhood (Friday afternoon) and he took the box. I asked how long it would take to arrive and he said Monday. Wednesday of the following week I received it back at my home.
It was repaired.

Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
F*ck!

Well after waiting three weeks my pistol finally arrived back with a brand new barrel in it. I was pretty excited. I went out and put 60 rds through it to see how the new barrel fit. Cleaned it and guess what? the new barrel has the same pitting defect! AFTER 60 ROUNDS!!! What the hell? So I called up S&W and blew their minds. I told them about how they have already had my pistol in their shop for longer than Ive owned it. They said theyd overnight me one. Hopefully the 3rd. barrel's a charm. I love the pistol but this barrel issue is a load of bull! If it happens again im going to disown the damned thing and go back to sigs. Never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wow that seems terribly improbable. No offense but are you sure you're seeing what you're seeing? I'm no metallurgist and you sound to be educated in the area, but you're really getting pitting in 60 shots? That seems like a number so low you could start to see it after the factory test shots.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow that seems terribly improbable. No offense but are you sure you're seeing what you're seeing? I'm no metallurgist and you sound to be educated in the area, but you're really getting pitting in 60 shots? That seems like a number so low you could start to see it after the factory test shots.
It is terribly and extremely improbable. Also no offense taken. One of my hobbies is collecting antique service rifles so Ive seen my fair share of bore pitting. Adding to that the techs at S&W also see what Im seeing:confused:
It simply boggles the mind. It makes me wonder how many other people out there this has happened to without them being aware. If they dont notice its probably fine. It dosent alter the function of the weapon much. In a service grade pistol or rifle the decrease in accuracy is virtually imperceptable. The barrel life however is decreased. It just chappes' my ass to have anything that I spent good money on be defective in any way. Aside from my issues I couldnt ask for anything more in a pistol. They say third times a charm;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Is it just me or has Walther had more trouble from their .40s than the 9mms?
I know they had a bad batch of polymere that caused some frame warpage and mag plate problems too. I guess they can get a bad batch of steel also. I wonder if effects both calibers? Upon reading this post I went back and reinspected my Walthers and I can happily say all the bores are clean and pit free....:)

·
Registered
358 Posts
My barrels (all 3) are pit free and good to hook. The thing I am wondering if it might have to do with a bad hardening of the barrel. I am not sure how Walther works there barrels but I believe the rockwell is probably around 450 something. Maybe its far softer? Hell maybe even far to hard?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heh! I was actually considering it. the only reason I didnt want a 9mm was the tiny shells are a pain in the ass to handle while reloading. Anyhow I went and put 250 rds through the new barrel and...dare I say it, it cleaned up shiny like a mirror. Absolutely no pitting or imperfections of anykind. Life is good once again:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts