Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to own a WW2 PPK 7.65mm and 2 post war PPs, one .22lr and one 7.65mm. Unfortunately, I had to sell them due to financial needs while going through a divorce a number of years ago. Recently I've been thinking about picking up another PPK 7.65mm, but I got a case of sticker shock when I saw what a pre '68 PPK was going for. I do plan on carrying the PPK so I don't really wish to invest that kind of money in a pre '68 PPK only to see it's finish marred by holster wear.

Which leads me to these questions:

What is the going price range for a blued Interarms PPK 7.65mm, and how does their quality compare with other PPKs?

How is the quality of S&W's PPK? Do you'll find the bigger beavertail on the S&W to be a real benefit? I never did have any hammer/slide bite problems from my older PPK/PPs, and I'm concerned that S&W's beavertail may actually make the PPK more uncomfortable to shoot by having the beavertail irritate the top of my thumb or the web of my hand. Has anyone here had that problem with their S&W PPK?

Aesthetically, I do have a preference for the blued PPK without the bigger beavertails, but not enough to pay over 1K for one. However, if I can find an Interarms PPK 7.65mm that's in LNIB condition for under 1K, and if the Interarms PPK is a well built and reliable PPK, then I'd buy one. I'd appreciate your info/experience/input. Thanks.

nero63

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nero! Going rate for Interarms Blue PPKs is about $500-$550 from auctions and guns stores I have seen. Many here have the Smiths and love hem. I suggest you do some forum searches - which will cover most of your questions, and come back with any lingering queries. Safe shooting!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
+1 on the forum search, alot of info in here.

It is hard to find a blued American ppk in 7.65, not many were made. It is hard to find one in .380, but I recently saw one either on auction arms or guns america. Also check gunbroker, those are the three places to try to find an American post 68 ppk, but most will be stainless in .380. There are also alot of ppk/s both German & American out there if you want the longer grip, you can find at reasonable prices.

My suggestion is to try to find an ugly pre 68 ppk that the finish is beat up that you can get for $500 and spend another $100 on a new finish for it, like Robar or something like that. Since it will be a carry gun and you seem to want a German ppk, that's what I would do. Or a smith would reblu one maybe for 150 if you want it to look original. I have a rublued 1942 ppk that I don't mind carrying since it has no collector value, I picked that up for 450 about a year ago, and the only difference in that and post war is the shape of the slide front. Still reliable and accurate.

Rating the quality and reliablilty may start another war, but you the OP asked, so here goes:

Most - German PPK
Middle - Interarms PPK (Gadsden, AL)
Least - S&W PPK

Now some very good points have been made recently that the S&W will feed hollow points better, but in .32 if your using fmj, then that is not a factor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nero- One other thing to keep in mind about the Interarms/S&W option: unless there was an earlier production run I don't know about, blued Interarms PPKs only came in .380, and the same is definitely true for S&W ones. So if you like the looks of a blued PPK but want a .32, you should factor the cost of refinishing into your decision no matter what.

As for the beavertail, if your grip style and hand size has let you avoid the "Walther bite," I doubt you would be bothered by the presence of the longer S&W beavertail.

Banddr- Your comment about the design differences pre- and post-war left me wondering, would a post-war slide be compatible with a pre-war or wartime frame?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Banddr- Your comment about the design differences pre- and post-war left me wondering, would a post-war slide be compatible with a pre-war or wartime frame?
I can tell you from personal experience, YES. It is hard to see, but the gun in my avatar is just that. I had a wartime frame and a post war .32 slide and they mated up fine. The rear of the post war slide extended about 1/16th inch past the rear of the frame, but that is not noticeable and did not affect the function. I still have a postwar .32 slide for sale on gunbroker.

Here is a pic of the gun in my avatar, I have since returned it to its previous wartime condition: (notice the shorter wartime safety lever)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the helpful/informative replies.

I didn't realize that there were no blued Interarms PPK in .32acp. I guess I'll just get a stainless one, or a S&W variant. I 'll keep my eyes on GB, AA, GA, for PPK auctions/sales and see what's out there.

Again, thanks.

nero63

1 - 6 of 6 Posts