Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my Fort Smith PPK/S .380 Auto to the range today. Fourth time I've taken it and over those four trips, I've shot 12 magazines, (full and partial), for a total of 83 rounds down the barrel.

Just a few minutes ago, I pulled it out to check something and noticed that the little pin upon which the trigger pivots was sticking out pretty far from the frame. Normally, the pin is flush on both the left and right side. It was sticking out so far on the left side, (as the firearm is pointed away from you), that the pin didn't have any purchase on the right side. The trigger had a slight sideways wobble, but not not enough for me to notice in the limited time I've used it.

I can imagine if I were to continue using it at the range today, that the pin could have worked its way out completely. I could not push the pin back in with the firearm fully and normally assembled, (didn't want to force it). When I removed the slide, the pin was trivial to push back in to its proper position.

Just something to keep an eye on. It was very unexpected. Decided to check my PPK/S .22 which I've owned for several weeks longer and over the five range sessions I've used it, I've shot 28 magazines, (full or partial), and a total of 273 rounds. The trigger pivot pin on the PPK/S .22 is where it should be. It hasn't moved like the pivot pin on the PPK/S .380 Auto.

I do not know if this is a flaw in my particular PPK/S or is something for which all of us need to watch.

- - -

Edited to add: pictures below in post #7.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I checked my pin at it was ok but i did notice that the fit is not very tight. I can push the pin with my fingernail and it will move.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Possibly when it was assembled, the trigger pin was reversed and not having the machined index groove in the pin for the trigger spring locking it into. Or the groove is too shallow and popping off the spring leg. Those of us who know the parts will relate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly when it was assembled, the trigger pin was reversed and not having the machined index groove in the pin for the trigger spring locking it into. Or the groove is too shallow and popping off the spring leg. Those of us who know the parts will relate.

I am not a gunsmith and have little knowledge of the inner workings of a pistol. Should I send it to Walther for "repair"?

·
Registered
854 Posts
There will always be a very slight back/forth push on the pin, but it will hold.
But, if it's really drifting out, then you have to look at the pin and see if it's in correctly. A general exploded parts diagram will show correct groove direction.
Either the groove is too shallow, it's in backwards, it's a full solid pin without the groove, or the leg on the spring is too short.
Don't jump the gun yet. Just take and show us a pic before you go through the hassle of returning it.
I've never had a pin back out in .22, 7.65 or 9K. But these were Ulm/Manurhin/WWII ones. Never owned or worked on Ranger, IA or S&W ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am not a gunsmith and have little knowledge of the inner workings of a pistol. Should I send it to Walther for "repair"?
Absolutely that gun needs to go back. Likely it's only the pin but ANY defect in a new gun should be brought to the manufacturers attention so the issue can be addressed going forward.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Broke out my PPK to check on the above info.
While the pin was perfectly in place I got out a pin punch to give it a test.
Does seem like it moves back and forth easier then it should.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Anyone have anything official on this from Walther?
Would send those pics in but it’s not my gun.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Does the pin push out with light hand pressure with your punch?
Would like to see the pin fully out to inspect the groove for depth, width and machined taper.
All the ones I've worked on had a nice deep groove with little (if any) taper. And always had a distinct "click" when the groove engaged the leg of the trigger spring. Needed a good tap on the punch to disengage.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I first did it with my nail. Didn’t take much pressure.
Broke out the punch to see if it would catch but nope. Don’t recall a notch on either side nor a click but I got it in front of me. Lemme check without the trigger falling out hopefully.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Okay. I pushed it all the way out with the punch keeping the gun parts in place.
There is a definite (but very light) click when you first push the pin out.
The pin itself is basically as wide as the frame (naturally) but with a very slight protrusion on both sides of the frame with a grove (that encircles the whole pin) looking to be slightly offset from center. If there was a taper my old eyes didn’t see it but I have a pal with a micrometer.

Guess my feelings are you would have to have bad luck for the pin to come out on its own but I also think it should be harder to move. It is not difficult at all to get it started moving - even accidentally - and the trouble probably comes after that.

EDIT: Tried to upload a photo from my phone but couldn’t do it. Now I gotta try and remember which side the grove goes on.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I would contact Walther.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I was just about to post that the groove on the shorter end is supposed to be on the left side. Start the longer end from the left, slide the pin slowly, indexing the trigger to the frame and wait for the click.
Mike beat me to it.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
I was just about to post that the groove on the shorter end is supposed to be on the left side. Start the longer end from the left, slide the pin slowly, indexing the trigger to the frame and wait for the click.
Mike beat me to it.
There's that attention to detail Mike was referring to. The installer put the pin in backwards!

Yes, Its easy to reverse the pin. I'd recommend still letting Walther know though. They need to know what their installers are doing. More training or QA is probably in order.

The PPK/S assembling operation out of Fort Smith is still in its infancy. Hopefully, the installers are gaining experience/improving and the QA processes still be tweaked. Continous Improvement and all that...

It might be a pain but I'd let them know.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Mike beat me to it.
There's that attention to detail Mike was referring to. The installer put the pin in backwards!

Yes, Its easy to reverse the pin. I'd recommend still letting Walther know though. They need to know what their installers are doing. More training or QA is probably in order.

The PPK/S assembling operation out of Fort Smith is still in its infancy. Hopefully, the installers are gaining experience/improving and the QA processes still be tweaked. Continous Improvement and all that...

It might be a pain but I'd let them know.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts