Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and must say there is an impressive amount of information. This raises hopes for help with my problem. To start off, I'm new to pistol ownership and fairly new to even shooting them until I purchased this one in February of this year. Let me just say, I love this gun! I have gotten to fire a few other before and since but nothing compares.

I would love to be able to shoot without hearing protection, however. According to another forum post the 9mm PPQ M2 has a Navy version that has a threaded barrel that is just a touch longer. Would this work in my gun without modification? Has anybody done this?

I live in Michigan which allows the use of a suppressor and was looking to do a trust as my fiance has a matching Walther (not sister serial #s unfortunately.) We could both legally posses it to my understanding once properly setup.

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Michigan. Unfortunately Ear pro is still needed with suppressors as far as I'm concerned. It's not like the movies where you can hear talking over the shot. A lot of 9mm suppressors are in the 120-135db range when used. Which is still above the pain threshold. 120db is also where hearing damage starts occurring from short term exposure. Indoor ranges or hunting without ear pro are where these shine. This is just my opinion.

The PPQ Navy SD will accept a 9mm 1/2x28 threaded suppressor or muzzle device as is. They also have to be removed in order to field strip (take down) and clean. Suppressors themselves also need to be stripped and cleaned.

As far as a trust I recommend you do it fast, as my understanding is they are going to be a thing of the past from POTUS Executive Order.

Depending where in Michigan you are, we have some ranges that rent suppressors. Barracks 616 in Cascade east of Grand Rapids will rent a complete setup, pistol with threaded barrel and the suppressors for their indoor range. I think it's like $20.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
I shoot my QFE and my Navy Qsuppressed with ears on indoors. I have an SilencerCo_Osprey....it averages about 122 dbs. I can reduce noise level by about 2-3 more db when shooting wet.

You can buy a threaded barrel from Jarvis or Earl that will drop right into your PPQ.....no need for an additional weapon.

I've shot my Qs without ears outdoors but I don't do this frequently. Repeated load noise does damage your ears....

Actually the trust will legally own the suppressor and the two of you would be officers of the trust and be entrusted with custody of the trusts property....legal mumbo jumbo.....

A trust just allows many folks "joint" possession....but even if you do the transfer as an individual, you and anyone would care to allow to use it may....as long as the suppressor remains in your "keeping" (you should be there).

Right now it takes about 6-8 months for either a trust or individual tax transfer stamp to be issued... I understand the electronic filing is slightly faster...

Because the serial number of your can is registered for the transfer you need to invest in a good suppressor, some can't be repaired if there is a baffle strike or something similar...which means you need to get a new tax stamp for a new suppressor...

some like the Osprey can be repaired because the serial number is on a portion that is extremely unlikely to be damaged and the internals can be disconnected from it...preserving the integrity of the serial number and stamp.

Figure to spend about $700-900 on a can, $200 for the stamp, your fingerprint fee as well....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good information, thank you.

If I decided to register it personally is it cheaper? Faster? I guess I'm asking for Pros & Cons. Figure I should do it before they change their mind on legalities. Have the CPL too, best thing I ever did as far as ease of transport if nothing else.

Here is an out there question but i have to ask, is there a way to legally make AND register a suppressor that you make? Or are we talking Federal Firearms Licence?

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
A trust might be slightly faster as of now, but soon all members of the trust will have complete background checks done....the advantage of the trust that if you should die...other in the trust are still legally able to avail themselves of the can.

As an individual, should you die, no one can have the suppressor without a new stamp being issued...

Yes you can make a suppressor but before you assemble it you will need to register it (form 1) and get the tax transfer stamp...this process can be rather difficult for those who don't understand the ins and outs of the process...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes you can make a suppressor but before you assemble it you will need to register it (form 1) and get the tax transfer stamp...this process can be rather difficult for those who don't understand the ins and outs of the process...
Agree, it's not something you just jump in to if you don't have much NFA experience. And you're supposed to have your completed Form 1 before you even acquire parts, not just assemble it. The ATF considers parts (with few exceptions) to be suppressors themselves, so if you start making anything (like baffles or a tube) without a completed form 1 then you're in trouble.

Also like ZarZ and olsoul said it's recommended that you always wear hearing protection but to be honest I almost never do when shooting 9mm suppressed unless I'm indoors or at a range where other people are shooting unsuppressed.

I don't run my PPQ suppressed yet but I used to shoot a suppressed P99 and it was quite nice... one of my favorites. Most current production 9mm suppressors are user serviceable which means you can take them apart. If you shoot lead or dirty ammo or want to double it for a 9mm suppressor than that is a big win. My SWR Trident is sealed but it's still good after about 2,000 rounds, so don't go overboard on cleaning it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I suggest an Osprey like olsoul has, you can easily service them, they have interchangeable pistons so you can quick make it work on a 9mm, .40 cal, and 45acp, and its shape allows it to ride below a lot of sights. Not to mention the manufacturer, Silencerco, is one if not the best for service, design, sound level, and warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts