Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's probably the .380 or 9mm kurz you heard about. Walther experimented with an enlarged PP in 9mm luger in the 30's that they called the MP, but there were only a couple of prototypes made before they realized that it wouldn't work in a blowback pistol. There is no way to put in a strong enough recoil spring to handle the pressure generated by the 9mm and still be able to hand rack the slide.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, the PP Super was a more successful attempt by Walther to up the power of the German police pistol after the Munich terrorist attack during the olympics in the 70's. I think ballistically it was comparable to the 9mm makarov round used by the communist bloc but, to the best of my knowledge, the two rounds are not interchangable. I always thought that this was a sexy looking pistol... if that descriptive can be used on a gun... Does that make me a wierdo?:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
You are correct .... the 9x18 Ultra/police and 9x18 Makarov are not the same round... Do not shoot the 9x18 Makarov in a PP Super....
By the time the PP Super was on the streets.... police already decided to go with the bigger 9x19mm, or the PP Super might have been a bigger hit.
The PP Super is sexy.... and almost as good looking as the P5c

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is no way to put in a strong enough recoil spring to handle the pressure generated by the 9mm and still be able to hand rack the slide.
Well, Hi-Point has a pure blowback 9mm, but the slide is pretty massive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts