Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see any disclaimers in my owner's manual to NOT use +P or +P+ ammo in my P99AS. Springfield Armory made a note in the owner's manual to not use such ammuntion. Am I to assume it is safe to use +P or +P+ ammo in the Walther since no disclaimer is present?

·
Registered
821 Posts
It should be okay, but I wouldn't go and practice all day with it. Use a bit to make sure it'll cycle reliably in your gun, then use it for carry. Practice with standard pressure.

Why put excess stress on your gun and its frame when you don't have to, right?

-stunks

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Walther came with a little blue card that says:

Caution!

Your firearm has been designed for ammunition of a specific type and caliber. Use only ammunition in conformance to the provisions of C.I.P of SAMMI and corresponding to the caliber of the pistol. The correct caliber is specified on the pistol. Particularly when using reloaded ammunition the permitted gas pressure according to C.I.P or SAMMI must not be exceeded. Excessive pressure can damage or even blow up any firearm. Ammunition with velocities and perssures higher than those for which the firearms was designed will subject the firearm to additional stress, may cayse excessive wear, and may cause serious damage to your gun. Before loading, always wipe off any excess grease and oil and check that the bore of the barrel is clear and that there is no obstruction in the bore. Always wear ear and safety glasses when shooting. Alert bystanders to the importance of wearing ear protection and safety glasses.

Any damage or harm to neglection of the above instructions releases the producer from any product liability and / or warrenty.
A copy of the owners manual is available free upon request from:
Carl Walther GmbH, P.O. Box 43 25, 89033 Ulm, Germany

Now, by definition +P+ exceeds SAMMI pressures, and may exceed C.I.P pressures. However, I run Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ (I beleive the hottest 9mm you can buy) through mine sometimes and I have not had any problems. I also know of at least one individual that put 1,200 rounds of Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ through his without incident.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I cannot find the link to it now, but I read there was some 9mm ammo that made it to the market somehow that is insanely over powered. It was purpose built for some odd British sub machinegun and would probably be rated something like +++P+++ if such ratings existed. I think that is the hottest 9mm ammo out there. Needless to say, it probably will blow up your gun.

I do not know how reliable the information about this round is and have never seen them myself; so it could just be some myth.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I believe Tabor is right on the money here!!

+P+ is not ammo I would want to shoot from my Walther.
Certainly not even for self defense---that's the last place I would want a failure to ocurr........while defending my life.

Standard rounds made by companies like Speer in their Gold Dot series gives the shooter plenty of "punch". +p ammo I would think would be OK in small amounts.

Remember this.............many of these companies are having a hard enough time keeping their guns together while down-sizing their gun frames for compactness.Both SIG and Glock have had some issues like this with their larger caliber guns (S&W.40 being one of them ). They don't need us throwing out of SAMMI spec ammo into the mix.

Of course, this is a "do as you think best" choice.........but I would not shoot +P+ ammo.

JF

·
Registered
354 Posts
So does every single HK, Sig etc. At least all that I have touched. Essentially I think its a warning for "we done break guns that you abuse."

Read what you like into the warning mine shoots +P+ fine.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My P99 owner's manual has a box specifically warning against using +P or other "hot" rounds.
No, this is what is says:
<span style='color:red'>DO NOT USE HANDLOADS, RELOADED OR REMANUFACTURED AMMUNITION, OR
HOME LOADS. Use only original, high quality, factor manufactured ammunition in good
condition. Because of the dangers of poor or nonexistent quality control among some
companies and people who make reloaded ammunition, and the well known problem of
dangerous overloads and underloads (squib loads) which sometimes happen, only good
quality factory ammunition should be used. If you prepare your handloads be careful, and
do not exceed recommended pressures in line with those generated by standard factory
loads (not +P) as manufactured by Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady, PMC or other
reputable companies.</span>
That says don't load your own with pressures greater than standard pressures. (i.e. Don't try and roll-your-own +P rounds
)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I cannot find the link to it now, but I read there was some 9mm ammo that made it to the market somehow that is insanely over powered. It was purpose built for some odd British sub machinegun and would probably be rated something like +++P+++ if such ratings existed. I think that is the hottest 9mm ammo out there. Needless to say, it probably will blow up your gun.
I agree. This is the 124gr Hirtenberger Submachine gun ammo and should never be used in a pistol.

FWIW, I carry and shoot Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P in my P99s and P99 Compact. As long as I don't shoot that exclusively and regularly (which I couldn't afford anyway), there should be no ramifications to using it. In all reality, the only shooters who can afford to shoot expensive +P ammo on a regular basis are the Feds. And they don't care if their pistols life is adversely affected.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I recall correctly, +P 9mm ammo is well within SAMMI specs, so I thought nothing of using Speer Gold Dots in my P99. I popped a few thousand(all I could afford at the time) through it with no incidents. I also noticed that +P ammo eliminates that nasty limp wristing problem some small women have when using the P99.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts