Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, still haven't received my P99 but I though I might as well mail order some cheap ammo for the range while I'm waiting.

I've been looking online and found 9mm luger ammo for around 12 to 20 cents for 115gr and some slightly higher grain ammo.

Is this a good price?  One of the dealers at a gun show told me I should not have any problems finding 9mm plinking ammo for 10 cents a round.  Was he just wrong?

Also, (I know the questions are getting long) what is your opinion on foreign ammo, specifically Wolf?  They seem to be a bit cheaper than the rest and from what I've read on them so far they don't look bad at all.  Are there really any "bad" brands of ammo?  What's the worst that could happen if I inadvertently purchase some "bad" ammo?  Will it just be a failure to feed/eject or could it be more serious?

Finally, where do you guys buy your ammo?  (If you don't reload personally that is... don't quite shoot enough for that... yet)

Sorry about asking all the questions... I know this is not really a newbie board but I thought you guys would have some good insight.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Be careful with "gun show" ammo. Many a gun has kB'ed from cheap gun show ammo. Especially ammo from private loaders.

I like S&B or Winchester. Also American Eagle is good for cheap shooting.

By the way keep all of your brass. If you start shooting a lot, you'll want that brass. I reload 98% of the time now. I just buy ammo when I need to renew my cases or there's a good sale on.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have used Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ from Wal-Mart without any problems. It's $10.96/Box with 100rds to a box. I have also used a few hundred rounds of CCI Blazer successfully as well. As mentioned before, Natchez is the best place to get this stuff - great prices and sometimes discounts for large orders. Just ordered 1100 rounds of .45ACP from them and it'll be coming in today

-Yoshi

·
Registered
124 Posts
I second the suggestion to go to Ammoman.com.  I have been buying from Eric for years w/o a problem.  

Regarding the bad ammo / poorly reloaded ammo question as to what is the worst that could happen-  Serious bodily injury and a destroyed firearm.  Saving pennies on ammo reloaded by "Scooter and Cooter" isn't worth the risk.  When the reloader is unknown by you, you have no idea if their standards match yours.  Often they do not.  Besides when you're talking about reloads you're talking about ammo that instantly voids the warranty.  

Wolf Ammo has its adherents, but I stay far away from the stuff.  When it first came into the country it had a lacquer that baked onto the bore that caused its own problems.  Some people say they no longer use lacquer.  Another major problem with Wolf was that they used steel in the casings and every so often it would end up in the bullet.  Scrap steel is cheaper than brass or lead so they'd use it.  It will work but it wears heavily on the gun.  Additionally, bullets with steel in them tear up bullet traps at ranges.  That is why a fair number of ranges bar their use.  Lastly, Wolf hasn't had the best track record for consistent loads.  I have seen several guns destroyed by overcharged Wolf Rounds.  -I believe Olympic Arms has gone on record against the use of Wolf Ammo in its firearms.

Of course, YMMV-  Good luck.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I'm not sure about the lacquer issue either, but when they did lacquer them it will really gum up your chamber. I've seen more guns at the range choking on this stuff from newbies trying to save a buck on a box of ammo. A lot of AR's hate the stuff too.

Stick with Winchester, S&B, or other quality brand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts