Walther Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What target 9mm ammo has been recognized as among the best with regards to consistency and grouping while shooting the P99?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
IMHO, WWB 115 grain fmj is great for practice at the range. I have gone through thousands of rounds of it with no issues at all.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I usually buy Remington UMC 115 gr. FMJ's for target shooting and plinking. It's readily available to me locally, has mild recoil and is acceptably consistent with regard to accuracy.

I also handload for my P99's and I find the Remington brass to be a cut above the Federal, Blazer and WWB brass. The UMC brass just glides through my reloading press. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ran several weights and brands through my P99, and found the 147 grain bullets to group better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I practice with the same weights I carry. I don't notice much of a difference in accuracy between 124gr and 147gr.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I practice with the same weights I carry. I don't notice much of a difference in accuracy between 124gr and 147gr.
The UMC ammo that I plink with is about as far from self-defense rounds as possible. It is definitely not a suitable training round for serious shooters looking for an inexpensive round to match the recoil and ballistics of a good, defense round.

I just wanted to clarify in case someone were thinking along those lines.

The best alternative to SD ammo that I've found in a factory loading is Speer Lawman TMJ's. They were developed to be as close to Speer Gold Dots as possible, without the prohibitive cost of training with GD's.

Also, I've found my P99's to group best with 124 gr. JHP's. (FWIW)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I've gone through some WWB, and picked up a couple boxes of Speer Lawman (115 grain in the blue box). Haven't shot any of those yet. Will definitely venture into some 124 grain for the next purchase.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
The nice thing about the P99 is that it will virtually anything you put into it. For range work, and for the break-in period, get whatever is cheap, such as Winchester WB. The real trick comes in finding the right defensive round. Try a bunch of them, then figure out which works best for you ... and for your pistol. Good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The nice thing about the P99 is that it will virtually anything you put into it. For range work, and for the break-in period, get whatever is cheap, such as Winchester WB. The real trick comes in finding the right defensive round. Try a bunch of them, then figure out which works best for you ... and for your pistol. Good luck.
That reminds me? What about +P and/or +P+ rounds? How does the P99 feel about that? Especially the earlier generations? I was actually trying to search for "+p ammo" and "P99 +p" on the forum but found nothing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
ammunitiontogo.com had a sale on their new production Swiss Nobel Dynimite 124gr rounds for $111 for 1000 rounds, wound up with shipping to be $184 but that was a bangin deal for 1000 FMJ rounds, brass cased, reloadable, even though i don't reload. i bought 2 cases and a case of Tula .223 that runs a lot cleaner than Wolf, i don't know if they are the same company using different powder or not, but it is as clean as WWB for $284 for 1000 55 grain FMJ HP. have not had an issue with either round to date in any of my guns tested with it. plan on buying more as they have a really great price and the shipping time is like 4 days max! UPS guy hated me when he had to unload!

·
Registered
417 Posts
oh, as far as HD i use Critical Defense and Hornady TAP. left that out, only shoot 5 for function test due to cost, but no issues either.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
That reminds me? What about +P and/or +P+ rounds?
+P (a code for "in a specific range by SAMMI pressure specification") is fine in moderation, +P+ is just a code for "above SAMMI spec". And you'll have trouble finding +P practice/target ammo anyway. As a preemptive answer for the next question, 9mm NATO is a 125 grain solid at close to +P pressures and won't hurt your P99 either.
Any high pressure ammo might increase your wear/round ratio ... and some people pucker up at the thought of going past the pressure specifications suitable for grandpa's antique Luger and will tell you that +P is the tool of the devil designed to crack your frame/slide and/or turn your barrel into some banana-peel Elmer Fudd would stand behind ... but the reality is that modern guns made from modern materials can handle hotter loads, and running a box or two of 50 +P defense rounds through for reliability testing, plus using up your +P carry ammo every 6-12 months to refresh your supply isn't going to hurt anything in a measurable way.

The question comes up on all forums with no end, partly because "+P" is too short for the search engine to use. I thought it was going to be made into a sticky at one point, but I'm not seeing it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
I carry with Federal HST in 147 grain.

My range ammo varies and I've never seen a big enough difference to worry about it but I'm not shooting off a bag or anything. Like a rifle, I imagine different barrels and designs have prefrences but for pistol shooting at less than 25 yards, I doubt there is much in it.

Hunting with a gun might be different but for what I do, it's not an issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The question comes up on all forums with no end, partly because "+P" is too short for the search engine to use. I thought it was going to be made into a sticky at one point, but I'm not seeing it.

It would definitely be great if it was a sticky. Thanks for all the answers in your post. I just wanted to make sure the occasional range firing, as well as the carrying of a +P like Rem. Golden Saber wouldn't be bad for the gun.

I never fired +P in my other P99.

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
That reminds me? What about +P and/or +P+ rounds? How does the P99 feel about that? Especially the earlier generations? I was actually trying to search for "+p ammo" and "P99 +p" on the forum but found nothing.
The P99 was designed for NATO 9mm which is hotter than standard 9mm. The gun is rated for +p but +P+ is not actually an official designation as SAMMI doesn't list a max for it, it is just beyond the max for +p.

As always, shooting higher pressure ammo will cause more stress on the gun but it is able to handle it. Does it matter if you replace a recoil spring at 4000 rounds vs. 5000 rounds?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The P99 was designed for NATO 9mm which is hotter than standard 9mm. The gun is rated for +p but +P+ is not actually an official designation as SAMMI doesn't list a max for it, it is just beyond the max for +p.

As always, shooting higher pressure ammo will cause more stress on the gun but it is able to handle it. Does it matter if you replace a recoil spring at 4000 rounds vs. 5000 rounds?
1000 round difference? Probably wouldn't bother me so much. It's not that I shoot +P on average. I shoot regular FMJ rounds at the range, with the occasional 2 mags of HP (I like to shoot various HP rounds and see what I like best). I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to worry about the frame or such cracking in my hand while shooting the +P HP rounds, or using them for carry. Thanks guys!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts