Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! I have a new 9mm PPQ on the way (my first handgun). I will hopefully get to the range on Saturday. Does anyone have any recommendations on ammo to try or to avoid with this gun? For a shooter without much experience? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out Target Sports USA for bulk ammo. Best way to purchase ammo IMO.

For target shooting; I use Sellier & Bellot 124 grain FMJ / Fiocchi 124 grain FMJ and for carry and home protection I use Federal Premium HST 124 grain JHP and Remington Golden Saber 124 grain BJHP. It's all preference. No right answer, but these work well for me and perform well on the range in PPQ M2.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hey man, welcome to the frenzy and hope you enjoy the gun.

This is a common question and a big debate. It’s like arguing over motor oil brands or if blonds and brunettes are better looking.

As someone who has thousands of rounds down range, an instructor and Bullseye shooter, this is what I THINK:

- As a new shooter, pick a decent quality ammo, and stick with it. Get your groups tight first. Don’t experiment with ammo. Work on your grip, your hold, your breathing, trigger control, etc....

- So what’s a decent quality ammo? Most store bought ammo in brass with be more than adequate. Your cheapest options will likely be in 115 grain but 124 and even 147 will shoot tighter but unless you can shoot one raged hole at 15 ft and 1/2” groups at 25 ft, it won’t much matter that much.

- My preference for cheaper range ammo is American Federal. I prefer the polytech rounds as they shoot clean. But they cost a few bucks more a box. The gun will eat anything. I shoot a lot of competition ammo and while it is more consistent and shoots well, even ammo at $40 a box is only marginally better even with an expert shooter.

- As to other brands, I have had had good luck with Remington, and frankly all the standard brass cases ammo.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Check out Target Sports USA for bulk ammo. Best way to purchase ammo IMO.

For target shooting; I use Sellier & Bellot 124 grain FMJ / Fiocchi 124 grain FMJ and for carry and home protection I use Federal Premium HST 124 grain JHP and Remington Golden Saber 124 grain BJHP. It's all preference. No right answer, but these work well for me and perform well on the range in PPQ M2.

I'm a prime ammo member @ TargetSports, I shoot a lot so completely worth it. SGAmmo is another favorite.

As LooseCannon said, 124g S&B, Fiocchi, Winchester NATO are all good and reasonable. After few hundred rounds shoot eat any new brass 115g for range fodder. Lawman by Speer is pretty decent as well.

IMO, HST and GoldDot 124 +P is best based on all the zillion test data I've seen and on Federal/Speer (same parent co) LE website.

Have fun, great pistol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi ViolaGuyTX,

I am also a first time gun owner with a PPQ. Here's my 2c:

1. Money: Do price comparison shopping on a website like ammoseek.com
2. Money: Consider shipping costs.
-> I've found that for orders of 250-500 rounds SGAmmo is usually cheapest. It's also based from Oklahoma so should reach you fast. For 1000 rounds, SGAmmo was still usually cheapest. At 1000 rounds, I got prices within $20 from Ammo Supply Warehouse, Bud's Gun Shop, and Target Sports USA. There may be membership benefits I'm not aware of that may skew these prices.
3. Children/Lead: If you have young children in the house, or if you are generally concerned about lead exposure, consider American Eagle TSJ or Speer Lawman CleanFire TMJ. These are a bit more expensive, but are practically lead-free. From what I've read online the TSJs shoots a bit cleaner than the CleanFire. The TSJ stuff looks like lipstick, the CleanFire looks normal. The TSJ has less recoil. The CleanFire's brass sometimes looks worn-out but should be safe to shoot.
4. Money/Hobby: If you plan to shoot a lot (several 1000s of rounds an year), are money-strapped, ! your shooting range allows it !, you don't care about lead exposure, and you are not going to be reloading, you may want to consider the Russian Tula / Wolf ammo. From the only study I've found online (dealing with rifles) it does wear out the gun a bit faster, but you'll still save money buying parts.
4.1. If the above conditions apply, but you find new brass ammo at a similar price (1-3c difference) get the brass.
4.2. If you buy reloads, only buy from a reputable reloader.
4.3. I've read that many people like reloading not only for the ammo savings, but as a hobby.
5. Suppressor: If you want to use a suppressor, get 147+ grain ammo to avoid the sonic pop.
6. Defense: I've read many people say that if you are going to carry, you should shoot the ammo grainage that you want to carry. From what I've understood, there are many good defensive choices, with 124 grain +P Gold Dots being very popular.
7. Safety: Walther advises in the manual that +P ammo can wear your gun out faster, and that it may be unsafe to use +P+ ammo because there is no +P+ standard.
8. Lead/Safety: p.s.: If you choose standard ammo, make sure to wash your hands and face and blow your nose before you leave the range. Wash your hands before handling food. If you are super-concerned wash your clothes and wipe your shoes when you get home. Also I've found that the brass flies everywhere, and found 1 case in my jacket's pocket, and 1 stuck underneath my shoe when I got home.

Hope this helped.

Best,
abuwf

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought a Q5 match recently and ran some cheap stuff through it. In my first 100 rounds, I had several jams and the slide would not lock back after the last round was fired from an empty magazine. Cheap low powered crap in a new gun with a new spring did not mix well.

Folks on here recommended TargetSports and either Fiocchi or Sellier & Bellot ammo. So I went online to TargetSports, ordered 1k rounds of 115gr Fiocchi @ 18 cents/round with free ship. I've had no problems since. I just ordered another 1k rounds and only had the gun a littler over a month...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Any decent pistol today can feed JHP's reliably. Yes, occasionally one get's a bad gun that needs some work, but most function well out of the box. Of course you still have to test the ammo of choice to confirm it feeds reliably, and if not try a different brand. But more people have little or no trouble in that regard.

Which round is best is loaded question (sorry couldn't resist). If you're talking about FMJ then I'd say the heavier round is best, less penetration, more likely to stay in the target and therefore deliver more energy.
But I would never use JHP's for defense, unless perhaps you're talking about .45 caliber, and even then I don't think it makes sense today.

For JHP, middle weight +P is best I think. You get decent speed with reasonable mass, hence good expansion and decent amount of energy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what does a Prime Member pay for Fiocchi 9mm ammo?

With Prime membership, you will receive an additional 8% discounted prices on all of the ammo on our website. You will also receive free shipping on all of your orders as long as you are a prime member. The prime membership is good for a full year from the date of purchase.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It should eat anything you put in it....with a caveat or IMO stay away from remans, steel or aluminum for your first outing. Use some factory ball ammo for your first range trip (say 200-400 rds.), if using for PD or CC try a few different manufacturers-my personal preference is critical duty and critical defence by Hornady after your first range day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lots of good info has been posted. My personal choice for range fodder is going to be Federal American Eagle, Fiochi, or S&B 124 gr. FMJ, or if I can find it locally, Speer Lawman 124 gr. FMJ. As for a defensive loading, I like 124 gr. +P Federal HST, 124 Gr. +P Speer Gold Dots, or 124 gr. or 124 gr. +P Hornady XTP.

·
Registered
227 Posts
For the range I use 115 gr fmj. I hate to say it but I usually just go to Walmart. The have Remington UMC @ $46 for 250 or Federal @ $36 for 200. Either come out to .18 a round. Not much more then buying online. I prefer the Remington UMC as it seems cleaner after shooting.

I don’t care for the Winchester white boxed ammo as it definitely leaves more residue and you can feel the difference in the loads as your are shooting. Some seem weak.

The Winchester white “nato” 124 gr seems more consistent.

I know the Walmart haters will blast me but there’s a ease to walking in and walking out with the ammo, and at pretty much the same cost.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what does a Prime Member pay for Fiocchi 9mm ammo?

PrimeAmmo membership costs $95 a year, you get basically 10% off non-Prime prices (all include free shipping on case lots) and 10% off individual boxes of ammo and free shipping, even on a single box. Worth it depending on amount of ammo you buy a year. Also, if you want to try different home defense loads it's nice to have free shipping on those individual boxes of 20 or 50 rounds - I always go with the 50 round boxes, as the 20 round are generally way more expensive per round as generally marketed to consumers who buy at retail shops.

SGAmmo, my 2nd favorite, and being in TX I receive next day shipping since so close to OK, charges $16/case for 9mm and $25/case for 45acp.

My last batch of Fiocchi, 115g was like $173 to my door, and the 124g was $191 to my door.

Winchester NATO Q4318 was $198, IIRC correctly, I'd have to go look to be sure.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
PrimeAmmo membership costs $95 a year, you get basically 10% off non-Prime prices (all include free shipping on case lots) and 10% off individual boxes of ammo and free shipping, even on a single box. Worth it depending on amount of ammo you buy a year. Also, if you want to try different home defense loads it's nice to have free shipping on those individual boxes of 20 or 50 rounds - I always go with the 50 round boxes, as the 20 round are generally way more expensive per round as generally marketed to consumers who buy at retail shops.
So basically it would take about 6k rounds just to make back the membership fee (based on my current 1k round Fiocchi purchase). I'm sure mileage may vary...

I'll keep that in mind after I blast through through this next 1k rounds.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
323 Posts
So basically it would take about 6k rounds just to make back the membership fee (based on my current 1k round Fiocchi purchase). I'm sure mileage may vary...

I'll keep that in mind after I blast through through this next 1k rounds.

Thanks for the info!

About that, I go through a case about every 6 weeks, so works for me, as well as free ship on any ammo quantity, so easy to play with Federal 115 +P+ loads, buy some minimal quantities of SD ammo....and bonus, they send Prime members a gift box annually, last year had box of 50 FMJ and pack of 25 GoldDot2 hollow points so that was kinda cool.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My preference for commonly available range ammo in order are Federal American Eagle, Speer Lawman, and PMC. I especially like American Eagle 124 and 147. PMC 115 is loaded softer that American Eagle and Lawman but I still find it plenty accurate. It is nice sometimes to shoot a softer load or have available for new shooters. Speer Lawman 115 is the hottest 115 load I have ever tried that is not +P and really barks.

When comparing ammo specs keep in mind American manufacturers measure muzzle velocity through a 4 inch barrel while European manufactures like Sellier and Bellot typically will use a six inch barrel resulting in higher muzzle velocity compared to a four inch barrel.

Lower powered loads like Federal Champion and maybe Blazer sometimes cause malfunctions in new and newer pistol but usually work fine after 200 - 300 rounds fired.

I used to like Winchester White Box a lot years in the past but personally avoid it these days due to the many reports of shooters having problems with it indicating possible questionable quality control with their loading.

We live in good times to buy ammo at great prices. It was not that many years ago that we were lucky to find any 9MM ammo at reasonable prices and could not be picky about brands and loads.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i've spent a bit of time researching self defense rounds, and the one that seems best to me is the Federal HST 124 +P round. i like to train using the same grain, so i practice with Lawman 124. having said that, i've never found any brass ammo that the PPQ won't eat

·
Registered
114 Posts
is among the best stuff available. It is good all-around self-defense ammunition, and would work well in your carbine because they have a most excellent feed profile. The 127gr +P+ Ranger would be a better choice than the 147gr bullet weight from a 16" barrel length because you will gain a few hundred FPS with the +P+ load, but will likely lose velocity with the 147 grain bullet weight due to friction and because the 147gr bullet weight powder burn rates are optimized for 4" and shorter barrel lengths

My personal 9mm ammo choices are:

Remington 124gr +P and 147gr Golden Saber
W-W 127gr +P+ and 147gr Ranger-T
Corbon 115gr DPX
Federal 124gr & 147gr +P HST (not Hydra-Shok)
Speer 124gr +P and 147gr Gold Dot

Stick with the 124-127gr bullet weight for defensive scenarios when using carbines for maximum terminal effect except when using a suppressor because 147gr bullets are subsonic.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.