Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if the answer is readily available, but does anyone know why Walther (ZM) switched from the 90 degree to the 60 degree safety in the PP series? Was the 60 degree design considered better or was it more cost effective? If considered better, how so?

PS: Dieter's book likely has the answer, but I don't have a copy yet.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
90° safety drum was very fragile because of the longer cutout for the firing pin. That's the reason to change the design.

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
226 Posts
Saw the title and thought the topic was Texas temp drop.
LOL...

It may be in the stickies up top, but I think the change-over happened in the mid to late 800xxx range. I have an early PPK that I think is 865xxx and it's got the 60 degree, but the 90 degree ones are found later. There was a transition time as I recall.

Just adding a bit to help...

James

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Unless somebody has some documentation, we can't know for sure the reason for the change. But I'm guessing it was simply to shorten the throw necessary to disengage the safety.

M

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm more curious about why than when.

It's often said the files at Zella Melhis were destroyed. Perhaps some important ZM files will turn in one day in Russian archives.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Fritz Walther has got a cottage at Lake Constance. Acc. to Walther/Ulm archives several files (construction drawings mostly) were already saved.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The Book says, the change from 90 to 60 degrees happened for ergonomic reasons, and because of issues with the firing pin on the .22 versions, "among other reasons".

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Two different pair of shoes: The two piece firing pin was one problem, but the change to the one piece version included not the change to 60° safety. There may be also an ergonomic reason, but the main reason were relative many broken safety drums.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts