Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently looking for a nice P1 to add to my collection as a shooter. I found a guy locally who has some nice ones for the typical price of 289 to 350 depending on the condition. I then saw SIX in a row looking unissued from the 70's all with consecutive serial numbers!!!! I have never seen this many in a row with consec #'s. He did not have a price on them and said "make me an offer" I have NO clue what to offer, I am more familar with the older models P38's as opposed to the P1's. Anyone have some info they can lend me on P1's and how much more if any the consec #'s are worth? Thanks from a new member

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I would not pay much more than for any othr P1 :eek:
don't get me wrong... that is a nice find...I just don't see paying a premium for it

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The only real advantage to having ONE of those (not all six, you gotta be crazy) is that it is clearly an unissued gun, positively not a rebuild, as most of these are.

Forget making an offer. It's his gun and it's for sale; make him price it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes they certainly look perfect / unissued and I agree with you that it would be near impossible to find 6 consec rebuilds lol I am guessing the perfect unissued ones go for 350 so 350 x 6 = 2,100 just dont know how much of a premium consec P1's get if any. I have never seen 6 in row of anything to be honest lol caught my eye and was kinda cool!

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
It is cool to see a find like that...
but keep in mind that at some point you need to get the money back unless you got 3 kids and will hand down a pair to each of them....
I would make the dealer an offer not much higher than what the other P38's are priced at.....
http://www.dansammo.com/firearms.asp
$300 is what his grade 1 goes for.... I would not go much over that

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The serial numbers for the last production guns--which are the ones most likely to have been put in store and not issued--will be in the 400,000 range. The rebuilds have late features with anachronistic s/ns, or crazy alphanumetric s/ns, such as 7236 W 91.

IMO, assuming an internal examination shows the gun is matching, new and unissued, and in the box with the papers, anywhere between $350-425 is not unreasonable. But I would make the seller set the asking price; otherwise you are bidding against yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MG Mike

The serial numbers are in the 389,000 range I forget the last three but I know they are 389,xxx or 398,xxx with my dyslexic skills I can't remember now! They are not the wild serial numbers tho with all the letters dashes, etc. The are all made in 2/77 as well...all numbers match barrel slide etc. I am guessing around 2500 would good. Probably not in my range right now, was kinda looking for a good consecutive pair, but thought SIX in a row was a very cool find!!!!

Thanks for all the info guys appreciate it

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
the P38/P1's should have a serial # on the frame.... last 3 serial digits on the slide and the X/XX date code, 2 "drooped wing" eagles and the BW mark if they are unissued
the W 91 or any other letters like that are for the "refurb" purpose.....
the serial #'s on P38/P1 are all numerical come post war.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts