Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a P22Q used. I like it.

All the ammo I shot worked, except for these two. You can see there were several strikes but no fire.
IMG_20200502_133654.jpg

These two came with the gun (two magazines full). The other 18 in the magazines shot well. And the other 30 that I brought with me shot well.

Problem with the gun, the ammo, or the marksman? 馃檪

Registered
The pics didn't show up for me, but some .22lr can be unpredictable, especially the cheaper stuff (although I can't see what brand didn't fire). My guess it's the ammo, especially since 48 of the 50 worked just fine.

Rimfire primers can be offset and leave a thin or non-existent primer charge on a portion of the rim. When I've had that issue I eject the round, turn it 180掳 in the mag and it usually fires on the second try. This is one of the reasons people say .22lr isn't a reliable caliber for self defense. Plus if you shoot someone with it and they feel it, they're likely to get angry.

Although I wouldn't want to be shot with it.

-------------------------------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! Angry... Yeah. :)

The pics show several strikes on the primer at different locations. I think those shells were duds. I am guessing those shells were pretty ancient.

Thanks.

Registered
BTW, I've got two Walthers in 22lr, the P22Q and a stainless/nickel PPK/S. The former has worked flawlessly out of the box except for a couple FTEs at first. The PPK/S was also finicky at first but I lightly filed the rails on the frame and haven't had any issues since. I also shoot CCI MiniMags exclusively, so there's that too.

-------------------------------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Registered
Dud rounds. Which is one reason people don't recommend a .22 for self defense. One of the more reliable rounds commonly available is CCI. Your firing pin strikes are plenty hard. Nice to see some well lit, sharply focused macro shots.

When it takes two hammer falls to fire a round that is usually an indication of a dirty chamber. The round isn't fully seated, the first strike seats it, the second strike hitting a now seated round fires it. The cure...clean the chamber. 1917

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
....one reason people don't recommend a .22 for self defense....
This is an excellent thought.

I've always felt that for defensive purposes, the .22 was underrated because generally the gun will hold more shells.

But this point about the comparative failure rate of a rimfire cartridge.... Really got me thinking. Thanks.

Registered
A revolver of course cures that issue. Ruger makes a couple that shoot LR or .22 magnums. Those magnums are plenty mean. But in a semi auto you have to know exactly how to clear the firearm and if the round is stuck in the chamber....which can be the cause of the misfire to begin with...good luck with a speedy clearing and reload. I've actually had a dud centerfire cartridge in modern ammo. But only one in many, many...it was just a dud. I think Glock has produced a .22 pistol recently....it isn't running 100% either. I can report shooting many bulk boxes of Remington Golden Bullets, 500+ boxes and running into as many as 4 duds.. On the other hand many of the boxes had no duds. Fired a whole bucket of them one day...no stoppages on the part of the P22 and no dud rounds. You never know. 1917

Registered
So I bought a P22Q used. I like it.

All the ammo I shot worked, except for these two. You can see there were several strikes but no fire. View attachment 92363
These two came with the gun (two magazines full). The other 18 in the magazines shot well. And the other 30 that I brought with me shot well.

Problem with the gun, the ammo, or the marksman? 馃檪
In 2004 we bought 7 P22s for relatives and friends to use for practice w/o the noise of our P99's. Everyone really liked their P22 but there are two issues to be aware of. 1) As mentioned by others, failure to fire was somewhat common with Winchester, Federal and Remington bulk ammo. We had many cases that look just like yours. 2) The second problem relates to leaving the ammo in a magazine, particularly when that magazine is inserted in the pistol. Within 3 - 4 weeks the uppermost rounds in the magazine will begin to fail (just like your photos). My guess is that with the lighter bullet crimp on the rim fire cartridges, oil vapors are getting into the case and causing the problem.
Like someone else said, although we bought the P22s for fun, we did carry them loaded in the car, but after the above problems we decided they should not be relied on, because of the ammo problems. Maybe the higher end ammo would be more reliable. I don't know on that. Enjoy the pistols.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.... we tried the shells in another gun (a rifle). Didn't light up. Duds. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts