Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fired my brand-spanking-new PPK/s today, 1-day after purchase. I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM for the hints you share. I have been monitoring this site for about a year, knowing that my purchase was imminent (I remember first seeing a PPK in an episode of Rat Patrol, late 1960's. Later I saw James Bond).

I purchased the pistol and immediately went home clean and oil the weapon. It only took me about 3-hours to finally get the slide off...using my feet to hold the gun and both hands to manipulate the slide-and-lift technique like a chimpanzee :mad:. I read multiple times where seasoned owners remember when their ppk drank plenty of oil during break-in, and elsewhere I read comments regarding poor performance...probably attributable to poor cleaning/no cleaning of weapon when brand-new. I thoroughly cleaned and lubricated it, fearing the worst. The weapon was built by S&W in 2011.

I am pleased to report that my Walther performed FLAWLESSLY in the first 150 rounds (Winchester 95gr white box) fed to it. There were several times that my right hand was bitten on the fleshly part of the back of the web of my hand, but only in that one part.

This gun is not fun to shoot. It shoots VERY well, and is effective, but this is not a range gun. If it is treated properly out-of-the-box and lightly oiled on the slide there should be no problems.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congratulations on purchasing the finest small pistol ever manufactured!
The PPK seems to do well in recoil with 7.65mm and not so well in 9mmK but either will work and work well, now get a hollowpoint load and function test that load for carry and an extra mag or two from S&W directly to get good mags.
There are a lot of crappy mags floating around.
I think S&W has fixed any problems they may had and much of what is posted on the Internet about the PP,PPK and PPK/S has been blown out of proportion and become Urban Legend.
I have both 7.65 and 9mmK West German PPK's and a 22lr PPK/S but I woul not hesitate to purchase a new S&W PPK/S, the price is attractive for such a quality pistol.
I carry the 7.65mm.-Dick

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Welcome, Jack.

"Not fun to shoot" huh? That gave me a laugh. My reason for shooting is primarily to maintain proficiency... not so much for fun. Tho I gotta admit a certain gratification at keeping tight groups down-range. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
Now get yourself a .32 version. That's fun to shoot. Personally, though, I find the S&W PPK/S very fun to shoot in .380 because of the enlarged tang.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Congratz, welcome to the forum and the ranks of the addicted ;)

Personally, I find my PPK/s and my PP's all to be a joy to shoot, both in .380 and .32, and I have mild carpal-tunnel in my hands from years of typing. Though I have not shot a S&Walther so I don't know if they shoot differently given the internal changes and springs. Practice makes perfect, nothing makes my weekend like chewing out the center of a target.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tend to shoot my s&w ppk/s a lot at the range. After about a hundred rounds it does tend to make the webbing in my hand sore. However it is a joy to shoot. I do tend to put more rounds down range with the p22 just due to cost.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Nice to have you with us, Jackster. Thanks for reporting your good fortune. That's a long wait. :)

I think S&W has fixed any problems they may had and much of what is posted on the Internet about the PP,PPK and PPK/S has been blown out of proportion and become Urban Legend.
Spoken like a man who owns an S&W pistol that works. Sadly, not all of them do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's funny that some on here commented about the .32acp. That was the caliber that I originally placed on layaway, but changed to a .380acp when I saw the cost of ammo. I reloaded rifle and shotgun in high school and early college, and see I may need to return to that hobby. I am aiming for a .32 one day. In blue, as my current is stainless. Can anyone advise re: a holster? Cross draw, as I sit at a desk and drive frequently.

As far as the question of the Walther being fun to shoot: I think that 'fun-to-shoot' is important. I have experienced from years of long-gun shooting sports that the concept of 'fun-to-shoot' increases the amount of practice, which obviously increases familiarity with the weapon. If there is not an aversion to firing the sidearm it will be fired more frequently than when an aversion is present.

This PPK/s is vying to become my EDC, currently a G19...which is extremely fun to shoot. Although the Walther is at least as accurate, the fact that the barrel is directly attached to the frame makes the perceived explosive recoil sharp for such a little gun. That, along with the comparative cost of ammo vis-a-vis 9 MM Luger, will probably somewhat limit my practice with the PPK/s. I intend to make Carl Walther my alternate carry piece for days when a subcompact is appropriate, if I can find a couple of good holsters!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am always amazed at folks commenting on the cost of .32 VS .380 ammo. I am sure that some vendors in some places charge over the top. I always order on-line from Wideners...

.32 ACP in Prvi partisan is only $10.50 per box of 50 or $120.00 for 600 rounds. GREAT AMMO

Speer .32 Ammo is only $13.50 per box of 50.

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

The have .380(s) ranging from $13.50 per box of 50 up.

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

·
Registered
273 Posts
Congrats Jackster! I am picking up my second S&W Walther today. I have a blue 380 PPK I got in trade that just came back from the recall work and today my order for Stainless 32acp PPK/s came in.

Good Luck and I hope you have many years of enjoyment with yours. A gun should be fun to shoot. It keeps you going back to the range. Lets face it a PPK/s is not the most powerful for its size and weight. It sometimes is the fun factor and elegance that brings a person to a gun like this.

·
Banned
1,543 Posts
Congrats Jackster! I am picking up my second S&W Walther today. I have a blue 380 PPK I got in trade that just came back from the recall work and today my order for Stainless 32acp PPK/s came in.

Good Luck and I hope you have many years of enjoyment with yours. A gun should be fun to shoot. It keeps you going back to the range. Lets face it a PPK/s is not the most powerful for its size and weight. It sometimes is the fun factor and elegance that brings a person to a gun like this.
I am fond of the .32 auto.
The pistol was originally designed for this cartridge.
It is not a .22 or .380 until later.
Later, modifications had to be made to accommodate the .22 and .380.
I think these modifications were successful to those wanting other calibers than the .32.

James Bond used it (the .32 auto) successfully by the English author, journalist, and World War II intelligence officer: Ian Fleming.

The only Walther PP series I own (PPK/S) is also in .32 AUTO!
It works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts