Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
You need a conversion barrel for this, as the 9mm barrel will not fit correctly in a .40 slide.

I know a manufacturer made a barrel for this conversion for the P99 (which will also work in a PPQ), but I don't know which one, or if it is still in production

·
Registered
467 Posts
has anyone changed out the barrels from a 40 to a 9 on the PPQ?
You'd have to change out the entire slide - except the recoil spring. Walther increased the mass of the .40 cal slide to burn off the extra energy produced relative to 9mm, so they could use the same spring in both.

Attempting to use the stock .40 cal slide with a 9mm barrel would likely lead to cycling problems, especially with lighter loads. You'd probably have to exclusively shoot 9mm +P or +P+ loads. At which point, you might as well stick with 40S&W.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I'll add that I, personally, wouldn't trust any .40-9mm converted pistol as a defensive pistol.

Even with a complete slide and barrel, the ejector on the frame will be a .40 ejector.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am just trying to reduce muzzle flip.
That sure as hell ain't gonna happen with 357 Sig rounds you were asking about in your other thread.

From this chart, PMC seems to make the self defense ammo with the least energy. You might want to try some of their products.

Oddly, I found that by actually easing up on trying to control the muzzle flip of my .40 PPQ increased my accuracy and speed of returning to target. Either that, or as I got more accustomed to the signature PPQ recoil, I developed more control with less conscious effort.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Haha, "signature PPQ recoil" :D No replacement for trigger time!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Exactly Boogs, I don't even notice the flip anymore. The only limitation to my speed and accuracy is myself, not the gun.

Even shooting ridiculous handspanker reloads (165gr Berry's Bullets/9gr Power Pistol), I could easily control the gun with decent speed. And let me tell you, those felt like 10mm loads. The RO at the steel range I was at a few weeks ago banned me from shooting anything closer than 50 yards. Needless to say, I won't be shooting anything like that again.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Because you were banned, or because 50 rounds with a pistol is just silly?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Because you were banned, or because 50 rounds with a pistol is just silly?
Because it was damned dangerous. That's right at the maximum load recommendation. A slight variance in OAL, over-pressure, and things go horribly wrong.

Surprisingly, I was pretty damned accurate at 50 yards. I consistently hit the hanging swingers and trees on the back row. That is, until hand/arm fatigue from the hot rounds took it's toll at about 100 rounds. Switching back to standard 180gr range reloads felt like shooting .380 auto

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
The ejector and the extractor are two different parts.

The extractor is the spring loaded hook on the slide that grabs the rim of the casing as it goes in and out of the chamber. The ejector is the metal tab that sticks out over the magwell that the casing hits on its way back and out of the chamber.

The 9mm ejector will be longer while the .40 ejector will be shorter. They will be set at a different position as well, and will not be the optimal length or in the optimal position for the other caliber.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts