Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow P99 gunners, give me some feedback on this ammo please? .......Personal protection intent,overpenatraition thoughs(very thin walls to my neighbor's on both sides,) will this round "get 'er done" if you know what I mean, any actual experiences that anyone can share? Oh yeah, what does/or is a subsonic round!

·
Registered
821 Posts
The Winchester Ranger cartridge is considered by many to be one of the best self-defense loads available.

I'm not sure where I read it, but there's a "list" of effective cartridges, and the 155 and 180 grain loadings were on it in Ranger.

I mean, c'mon!  It is a law enforcement offering, it's gotta be good, right?  

-stunks

EDIT: I believe I read that list on firearmstactical.com, FWIW

·
Registered
86 Posts
I will likely take some heat for this but with two kids I am totally sold on Glaser Blue Safety slugs for inside the house. Subsonics may slightly limit overpentration but are mainly used in suppressed firearms as they don’t break the speed of sound downrange after they leave the muzzle and make a ballistic crack (like a jet breaking the sound barrier). I am sort of cliffnoting that one though as almost any 9mm that is 147 grain or above is subsonic but not marketed as such but anything with the words subsonic on it are generally aimed at the can crowd. As far as stopping power on a 147 grain bullet you enter the endless lighter faster vs heavier slower controversy and having mentioned Glaser in this post I’ll stay out of the lighter heavier argument for now and take my lumps on the first one.

Rockets Out…..

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Inside defense I prefer the lightest offerings, but I an not sold on the frangibles. For 40 s&w I think Cor Bon's 135 gr is the best. For 9mm I like Ranger +p 115 gr. I recovered some in my post Holloween pumkin test and they expand like crazy, but break up some when the hit the back stop. I think hollow points that will break up some are best for inside the house.

Outside I like the gold dot stuff, because it will expand, or penetrate and expand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys have all been helpful but I do own 40S&W and so I dont quite understand your info on the 9's but will retain it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts