Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to the range last night. when i went to pull the trigger, the firing pin would not strike. when i got to the back of the trigger pull when it should release the firing pin, i felt pressure on the trigger trying to make it go back to the front again. the firing pin will not fall. its been cleaned after every trip.

so someone give me the easy solution of what to check so i dont have to send it in.

only around 500 rounds through it. not feeling warm and fuzzy about this as it is my primary carry wpn.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
take yoru fireing pin assembly out the slide.....
there is easy to follow intstructions with your instructions....

I could not tell you any more.... as I never had a hickup with mine

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[b said:
Quote[/b] (uncut @ Sep. 14 2006,6:46)]take yoru fireing pin assembly out the slide.....
there is easy to follow intstructions with your instructions....

I could not tell you any more.... as I never had a hickup with mine
yep, first thing i tried. all looked well but then again, i could be wrong!

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you use this weapon for self-defense ? I would strongly recommend that you send the gun back to S&W for repairs.

Even if you somehow get the weapon to function, would you want to bet your life on the chance that the firing pin might freeze again? I would want a qualified gunsmith going over this weapon to find out "why" it happened. Unless you find something simple at its cause.

Turn around is not that bad for S&W after the vacation season is over.......so you will have the weapon back in no time. The gunsmith will most likely also check extraction......and make any adjustments to make the gun function perfectly.

JF.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took an NRA Instructor Course this weekend, after qualifying with a .22 browing auto and a S&W .22 revolver we had the Chief Instructor's permission to shoot our larger caliber guns. My first two shots with my P99 were misfires. I racked both rounds and checked the primer, the firing pin did not strick on either round. I emptied the chamber and dropped the mag. I re-inserted the mag and racked again and the gun fired fine. I put about 40 rounds through it and it never misfired again. I hope this was a fluke. It's got me a bit worried as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sniper350 @ Sep. 14 2006,10:17)]If you use this weapon for self-defense ?  I would strongly recommend that you send the gun back to S&W for repairs.

Even if you somehow get the weapon to function, would you want to bet your life on the chance that the firing pin might freeze again?  I would want a qualified gunsmith going over this weapon to find out "why" it happened. Unless you find something simple at its cause.

Turn around is not that bad for S&W after the vacation season is over.......so you will have the weapon back in no time. The gunsmith will most likely also check extraction......and make any adjustments to make the gun function  perfectly.

JF.
yeah very good point. anyone know if they pay for the shipping or anything?

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ar-for-me @ Sep. 15 2006,2:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sniper350 @ Sep. 14 2006,10:17)]If you use this weapon for self-defense ?  I would strongly recommend that you send the gun back to S&W for repairs.

Even if you somehow get the weapon to function, would you want to bet your life on the chance that the firing pin might freeze again?  I would want a qualified gunsmith going over this weapon to find out "why" it happened. Unless you find something simple at its cause.

Turn around is not that bad for S&W after the vacation season is over.......so you will have the weapon back in no time. The gunsmith will most likely also check extraction......and make any adjustments to make the gun function  perfectly.

JF.
yeah very good point.  anyone know if they pay for the shipping or anything?
S&W will send you a prepaid UPS next day air label in the mail, you drop it off at your local UPS hub, a week later you get it back next day air. S&W is an example of the best customer service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Soybomb @ Sep. 15 2006,4:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ar-for-me @ Sep. 15 2006,2:19)]
[b said:

JF.
yeah very good point.  anyone know if they pay for the shipping or anything?
S&W will send you a prepaid UPS next day air label in the mail, you drop it off at your local UPS hub, a week later you get it back next day air.  S&W is an example of the best customer service.
thats what i was wanting to hear.  im sure they will make everything great.  thx for the 411.

·
Registered
44 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ar-for-me @ Oct. 19 2006,7:07)]s&w received it on oct 2nd.  called and they still havent started on it yet.  
S&W has gotten pretty slow about turnaround. I hear of some people getting a gun back in 2 weeks but that seems to be the exception, not the rule.

A friend of mine has had to ship back their NEW S&W 910S 9mm twice. First time was a month turnaround and they have now had it 3 weeks the second time. It won't even get through a mag without FTE/Stovepipe, failing to go into battery, and pelting the shooter with brass...

·
Registered
358 Posts
2-4 weeks. I broke my walther with a promag, and it still shot well, would get a stovepipe (turn around time 3 weeks)

Messed up Compact, parts not installed correctly, fired flawlessly, just didn't field strip properly. Took two times to S&W. First turn around 1 week 2nd was 2 weeks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just got it back yesterday. 1 month and 1 day after they received it. they said they had to replace the sear block. can anyone enlighten me on how this piece can go bad or what not?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well that makes sense ............ the sear block is responsible for letting the firing pin "go" when the trigger is pulled. Sounds like excessive wear might have prevented the sear from engaging the firing pin for that timely release. That is only speculation on my part.

What could be the cause ?.............. well, this is not a common defect for the Walther. So,did you do "any" polishing of the trigger assembly ? We had a discussion earlier about how fragile the "surface" case hardening of sear componets can be.

Other then that.......... you were just unlucky to get a defective sear block from the "get go". I am only glad you caught the defect at the firing line .........and not when you needed the gun for self defense !!!

One other comment............. the turn around time for your repair was excessive. S&W has to do better than that.
3 weeks is plenty of time to make repairs........and a very long time to have a customer's personal defense sitting on a shelf. IMHO. They can ...........and have done better. 2 weeks for repair and return have been reported many times. During vacation months, I have waited 6 weeks for a repair---but their work is generally excellent and its hard to stay mad when they give you new parts instead of trying to adjust or fix old. They practically rebuilt my gun [ almost new ] that I sent in for some minor frame blemishes !!

JF.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thx for the info snipe. just chalk it up to having a bad part from the get go. i never polished anything on it and i have only around 650 shots through it. eh, guess it happens sometimes. but like you said, glad it happened at the range instead of something more dire. time to put it through its paces again. gotta feel like i can depend on it.

and yes, i believe a month was a little excessive but what can ya do. im sure they do better in most cases.

·
Registered
333 Posts
When you mentioned the round count of your gun........... that magic number of 500 rounds came to mind.

I don't know where the 500 round figure comes from........but it is the generally accepted round count to put a new weapon through before you can trust it for self defense.

Your gun failed close to this number, so it seems this is a somewhat accurate test or benchmark. So a lesson for all ............ your weapon is really not ready for self defense use until you put at "least" 500 rds down the pipe [ or maybe a little more ]. I generally will fire 1,000 rds or one case of ammo before I add a gun to my CCW rotation.

Proving a gun reliable........can get expensive, but it sure is fun !!

JF.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When I sent my P99 in turn around was two weeks so I suppose I got lucky. On second thought I'd rather be the lucky guy whose gun does not break.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
got what i think is a broken 'firign pin' (striker). something like 1,000 rounds thru the gun (P-99C AS in 9mm). Smith sent me the lable, will let ya all know how long this takes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts