Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Similar post just came up in the P99 subforum. I'll give the same advice as there- based on my experience converting an XDm, I think you're better off selling your .40 gun, even at a loss, and shelling out for a new factory 9mm. Any problems will be covered by warranty, but there most likely won't be any. With a conversion, the gun can end up ammo-sensitive or even unreliable regardless of ammo used. There's also an issue with extractors that contributes to this- .40 extractors will technically work for 9mm, but they aren't ideal, and the right way to do this is replace them. At that point, you may as well just get a new gun. If you carry this gun or use it for home defense, I really recommend against it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I was looking online at a 9mm conversion kit that makes it seem like all you have to do to convert is get the 9mm barrel and mags. Anybody have experience with this? Ppq m2
I bought the Jarvis 40-9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags and my PPQ M2 functions flawlessly. The 9mm barrel looks like a bull barrel due to the thicker barrel walls needed to fit the .40 upper and I like the look. As far as accuracy is concerned it's a tack driver. If memory serves it was $395 for the barrel and 2 9mm mags.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
The feed lips on the .40 mags are farther apart than the 9mm counterparts.

They *might* work, but mags cost the same regardless of caliber. Buy the right ones.

I second the comment about not doing this to a carry gun. You really want to take a chance on your gun breaking or malfunctioning when you need it in the worst way? ;)

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Anybody have experience with this? Ppq m2
I don't.

But I'll say that the .40 PPQ has a heavier slide while using the same recoil spring, it will have a breechface that is too wide for the 9mm round, it will have an extractor that will not hold the casing with the optimal tension, and it will have an ejector that is the wrong size and shape, and in the wrong position for optimal ejection.

If memory serves it was $395 for the barrel and 2 9mm mags.
If the above is true, this is all the more reason to just purchase the 9mm model. We've had threads on this forum mentioning these pistols selling for around $400 new.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the Jarvis 40-9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags and my PPQ M2 functions flawlessly. The 9mm barrel looks like a bull barrel due to the thicker barrel walls needed to fit the .40 upper and I like the look. As far as accuracy is concerned it's a tack driver. If memory serves it was $395 for the barrel and 2 9mm mags.

How many rounds do you have through the Jarvis conversion barrel? How has the reliability been?

As someone who is considering doing this to an original (Smith & Wesson) M1 I would love to hear your experience.

It would be great to see some pictures. You can PM me them if you want!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Jarvis 9mm in my P99 and I'm 50 rounds fired and one 15rnd magazine cycled by hand (testing it out, making sure the extractor extracted). I have a single 9mm MecGar magazine. It was CCI Blazer Brass and no issues. I also replaced the guide rod and spring at the same time (plastic). I am keeping a spreadsheet of the ammo I do fire through this and will report back. I do one really thorough cleaning a year and the rest of the time just quick cleans.

I'm not convinced that this is perfect or without issue. At 500 to 1000 rounds then I'll be comfortable carrying it.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I probably have about 500 rds thru it without a single failure. I don't have a photo service for posting pictures but I will look into that.
Imgur is pretty quick and painless, and gives you options to resize and crop right there, then save, copy the link to post online with relevance to site, and done.

I've been using it the past few months, much less hassle than PhotoSucket, plus your images don't have a dumb-ass watermark. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I'm not convinced that this is perfect or without issue. At 500 to 1000 rounds then I'll be comfortable carrying it.
If it was perfect or without issue, why would Walther make the 9mm version? Why wouldn't they just use a .40S&W parts, and just add a conversion barrel when submitting pistols for agency contracts?

I'd suggest not carrying a converted pistol, as the parts used are not optimal for reliability. Reliability issues may not show up on a climate controlled shooting range, or on a clean pistol, or on one that has just been lubed, all while being shot slowly or with a perfect grip. Defensive scenarios are often harsher than this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it was perfect or without issue, why would Walther make the 9mm version? Why wouldn't they just use a .40S&W parts, and just add a conversion barrel when submitting pistols for agency contracts?

I'd suggest not carrying a converted pistol, as the parts used are not optimal for reliability. Reliability issues may not show up on a climate controlled shooting range, or on a clean pistol, or on one that has just been lubed, all while being shot slowly or with a perfect grip. Defensive scenarios are often harsher than this.
Why wouldn't they use .40S&W parts -
I'm not an engineer nor employed by Walther but my very uneducated opinion would be why make it compatible when you could just sell another pistol and make more money?

Everything mechanical can fail. I'm not relying on this for anything other than a range gun and will be the gun I use in pistol courses.

Swapping the barrel back to the .40 is plenty easy if I want to.

My reasoning though, is if it doesn't fail in 1000 rounds, then it would be some other unknown factor that was going to fail anyway.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I'm not an engineer nor employed by Walther but my very uneducated opinion would be why make it compatible when you could just sell another pistol and make more money?
It should cost them more to make two different slides, two different extractors, and two different sear housings. The fact that they do, tells me that there is a reason for them to do so.

I'm not relying on this for anything other than a range gun and will be the gun I use in pistol courses.
I may have misunderstood, but you mentioned "carrying" the pistol is the last post. It may be reliable enough for a range pistol, but I'd be hesitant to use it as a carry pistol. If I was under the impression that this was just a range gun, I wouldn't have made the last post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suppose I don't really understand the difference between a carry and a range gun, or at least I don't make a distinction between the two. A gun is a tool and should function as it is intended (YES I get the hypocrisy). If my gun goes bang at a range, then it should go bang at my home, car, walking down the street. I may not be as accurate due to elevated pulse, being surprised, adrenaline, etc. But as long as the environment is MOSTLY the same (Rain is fine, underwater would be a whole new situation), why wouldn't the gun fire then vs at the range?

I'm not trying to shut you down either, just voicing my thought.

FWIW, I have used one other conversion in the past and it was garbage. One other time I had a surprise failure was in my 1911. It was due to a magazine spring, not the ammo, not the pistol, but a silly spring that had not failed before but until that moment. I no longer have that magazine.

I would not rely on the pistol to be a defensive weapon until adequately tested with a variety of rounds in a variety of situations.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I'm not trying to shut you down either, just voicing my thought.
I understand, and I'm just trying to do the same.

All I'm saying is that if Walther thought that a .40 pistol with a conversion barrel was good enough for the 9mm round, that they probably wouldn't see the need to make a 9mm model. The fact that they make a 9mm model tells me that the guys who actually designed and made the pistol are not satisfied with simply adding a conversion barrel to a .40 pistol.

The slide of the .40 model is heavier than the slide of the 9mm model, meaning that there is more mass to be moved after every round fired. This would not work as well with a weak round, or a weak or awkward grip, which is very likely in a defensive encounter. The extractor is not in the optimal position for the correct amount of extractor tension, and the breechface of the .40 model is too wide for the 9mm round, meaning the extractor isn't pushing against the casing with very much force before, and especially not after it has left the chamber. The .40 ejector is not the optimal length, is not the optimal shape, and is not in the optimal position to be ejecting 9mm rounds out of the ejection port. Combine this with the fact that the extractor is not holding the casing with the optimal amount of tension and you can have a safety issue, where if the extractor loses hold of a live cartridge while manually ejecting it, the primer can impact the ejector and the casing can explode in the open ejection port. This on top of reliability issues that may pop up due to extractor tension and the position of the ejector.

I'm not saying that the pistol won't be reliable enough to work though whatever you put it through. But I'll ask if you are comfortable carrying a pistol that you know is not as reliable as it could be? That answer is up to you, and whoever else may be reading this thread with the same idea about conversion barrels. To many people, reliability is paramount, to the point that they choose to work around terrible grips (Glock) or terrible triggers (H&K) only to get better with pistols that have rightfully achieved a reputation for being reliable.

The only benefit to a conversion barrel, is saving money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I was looking online at a 9mm conversion kit that makes it seem like all you have to do to convert is get the 9mm barrel and mags. Anybody have experience with this? Ppq m2
I have a Jarvis 9mm conversion barrel in my Gen 1 .40 S&W P99. Works fine with 124 and 147 grain. I had issues with 115 grain jamming. I use the 9mm for practice, to save money, but I would put the .40 barrel back in for carry. If you do it, you might pay extra for their service where you send the gun and have the new barrel fitted properly. I only ordered the barrel, and it shows slide wear in two locations the .40 barrel never did. No need for a new extractor or recoil spring, you just need factory 9mm magazines. And to those who say just buy a new gun in 9mm, you must not live in NJ, where buying a handgun is time consuming pain in the ass.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.