Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any plans to introduce an M2 version of the PPS in .40 cal?

Any comments/reviews on the Classic version in .40?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've used a Walther PPS40 for years as one of my concealed carry weapons. Often on warmer humid days, it is my go-to gun. I carry it in a Falco dual IWB/OWB holster at 4 o'clock. This is a nice comfortable rig.

Here is a great link that all PPS owner should have bookmarked...

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-pps/8904-walther-pps-observations.html

I bought the pistol used from an auction in Arizona. It appeared to have been well maintained and only lightly used with maybe 50 rounds fired through it. Probably guarded a sock drawer.

The only issue, a real non-issue because I studied the link above, is that after I fired about 150-200 rounds I was having feeding problems. This was caused when the finish started wearing off the cartridge loading ramp.

I fired a couple hundred more rounds through it to clear off all the finish. I could have sanded or buffed the finish off, but I wanted the malfunction practice.

My guess is that we won't be seeing a PPS40 M2 soon. The gun industry appears to be pushing consumers to smaller caliber guns.

The herd instinct is strong and it appears to be moving folks away from .40S&W. This creates a buying opportunity for those of us who appreciate this caliber for personal protection and sport shooting.

I should add that the PPS40 is NOT a good range gun choice, because after several magazines it can become painfully apparent that thumb base joint has taken a beating. To compensate, I limit myself to a half box on each range trip and keep my practice focused. I also shoot my .40s first if I'm bringing 9mm guns to the range on that day.

In a self-defense situation, this little gun is a great choice!

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I've got a .40 PPS Classic, and while the recoil never bothered me (cut my teeth on .44mag and .45 Colt) I did order a DPM recoil reducing spring kit.

Eventually, a series of choices led me to 9mm variants of my PPQ and then PPS, so I kinda gravitated towards that, as it's easier to get back on target, not to mention an extra round (or three, in regards to the PPQ..)

In my case, the DPM kit wasn't needed, and helped....somewhat, though it wasn't a problem for me. I'm 42 now, I was 36 when I got the .40 PPS.....not like my hands are weak or crippled...for now, anyway..

That said, I'd find it unlikely that we'll see a PPS that starts with a ".4" as it's caliber. Unless the brass in Germany decided there is enough of a demand for a .45 PPS. Kinda gets back to the more isn't always better thought process. I also had an XD-S .45 before I got my 9mm PPS...in fact, traded one of them for it.

Hated the feel, and the trigger. Solid gun, even pre-recall. Never had an issue. Shot a box of 165gr +p through it....worst 20 rounds I ever fired. Awful.

I'll stick with 9mm. I'm willing to try that there new PPQ SF in 10mm, should Walther smile down upon us with such a beast..

·
Registered
190 Posts
I carry a PPS M1 in 40sw. It's a great little gun and I love single stacks for the shear comfortability. I don't mind shooting 40sw through a smaller gun, but I don't recommend it for newer shooters.
It's a very accurate little gun, you just need a secure firm grip when firing it.
It kicks a little, so much that it was digging into my support hand, pointer finger. The area that rides along the bottom of the trigger guard. It was killing my damn finger....haha. The trigger guard has two sharp pointed ends on the bottom where it separates into the magazine release.
After 30 mins with the dremel and sandpaper those sharp edges are gone and my finger has never felt better.

I also have a PPS M1 in 9mm and I didn't touch the trigger guard on that one, because it doesn't dig into my finger when I fire it. As mentioned the 40 kicks a little.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts