Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I talked to Jarvis this week about a threaded barrel for the P99/PPQ in .40. Long story short they said they would agree to make a run of them if there were at least 50 orders. I'm here asking if anyone would like to gather all the orders and help spread the word. I would do it myself but I travel too much and wouldn't want to mess something up for you guys if I was gone. They said the process would be roughly 8 weeks (longer if they get swamped) and they would need half down to start it. They didn't give an exact price on the run but the 9mm barrels run roughly $210+.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
That is good news for people who favor the .40 caliber round. The quality of their barrels is (in my opinion) top notch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick do you have any experience with them? It would be cool to hear some info or any advice. Oh Yeah I almost forgot. If anyone has or knows somebody with a .40 threaded barrel from Jarvis I would be interested in buying it.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
MOSA,
Yes, I have esperience with Jarvis barrels. I own several of them threaded in 13.5X1 that they make for Sig and Glock pistols.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rick & MDFD thanks for the info. Seems to be the general consensus that Jarvis is legit. I hope we can get the ball rolling on this. Or more importantly I hope I can get one. LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmott3, Thats an interesting Idea. However, one that to me does not seem very cost effective. I do believe that you would have to change the slide (.40 is longer and heavier to absorb timing issues related to cyclic rate) to include extractor arm, as well as barrel, sear housing block (or parts at least that little metal guy with labeling) and magazines. I would figure you might as well just buy a seperate 9mm pistol. Unless Im mistaken at which point I would enjoy learning more about this platform

·
Registered
46 Posts
I certainly don't know for sure, but as I understand it (with other guns anyway). You need magazines and a new barrel (obviously its longer then the 9mm standard barrel, and bigger around).

·
Supporting Vendor
652 Posts
MOSA,
I did a run of these last year but with EFK. I actualy was able to get them to do 25 barrels. With Jarvis and 50 barrels it will take me a long time to recoop the $10,500.00 investment. I can start another post and collect names again. We can see how many are interested. I will be contacting Jarvis later this week.
I will do both 9mm & 40 SW barrels. Also a conversion barrel is possible as well.

Tony ( REDFISH )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tony (REDFISH), This is really awesome thanks for taking on the task. Seeing as you mentioned the other calibers got me thinking. Perhaps Jarvis might agree to split the 50 barrels up across the calibers. (Are the outside dimensions different regarding the lug area?) Anyways this just really made my morning. Ill be patiently waiting to put my name down.
-Jake

·
Supporting Vendor
652 Posts
I am busy this week but I will contact Jarvis and get all the info I need to get it rolling. Just a note last time I did this I took names for a few months and then ordered so it is a ways out for delivery.
I will post all the info next week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Tony,
I know you've been busy but just curious if you were able to get the ball rolling on the Jarvis barrels?
-Jake

·
Supporting Vendor
652 Posts
Hi Jake,
Right now it does not look good as I did a poll here: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/20304-p99-threaded-barrels-order-jarvis.html and it shows 3 people interested in the 40 S&W barrels.
It took me a long time to sell all the EFK barrels last time. To make 10% or less profit when you add shipping in is not condusive to making enough money to keep the doors open. I actually have 1 40 EFK barrel I was saving for my self. It is not threaded but it is extended. It could be threaded. Are you interested?? PM me if you are.

Just does not seem to be much interest in the 40 threaded barrels at this time.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I think the P99 made its name in the 9mm caliber. While the .40 I have is nothing less than perfection, I just think that since 9mm is so readily available, and its something anyone can shoot really, that its what made the P99 great.

·
Supporting Vendor
652 Posts
Yes BornFighting88,
The 9mm are definatly the popular caliber. I shoot IDPA & practice with my 9mm most of the time but carry the 40. I have now switched to the PPQ 40 as a carry and 9mm PPQ as my practice weapon.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Like I said in the poll thread, if we were talking about a standard .357Sig barrel, I'd buy. I believe several others would as well. Several months ago, when I asked all of the barrel makers, they all declined...including the one(s) who had done one before (I can't remember now who that was).

I think a lot of them are hesitant, especially those who have made P99 barrels before and sat on them for a long time. I don't blame them...it's a big investment for little return.

As long as the barrel could cross between the P99 and PPQ, which I think they will, I think a .357Sig barrel might be able to round up 50 people from the forum. I could be wrong, but I know there's been interest, especially in the PPQ forum.

·
Supporting Vendor
652 Posts
I can start a 40 to 357 sig coversion thread and poll and see where it takes us.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I can start a 40 to 357 sig coversion thread and poll and see where it takes us.
Sounds like a good idea to me. Just have to make sure it's seen in both P99 & PPQ forums, since not everyone visits both.

Another thought, to make sure it gets full attention, is if there is a way to message it to all members, to grab the attention of those who don't visit often or who have been inactive, but might be interested. I don't know if that's even possible, but it's worth a try.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts