Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I just got my P99 .40 a few weeks ago and have put 450 rounds through it so far. Love it. However I recently noticed that sometimes when the casings eject they hit the slide just rear of the ejection port; the tiny points of impact are removing the finish on the slide. I also have a few nicks on the horizontal portion of the slide just below the ejection port, again from ejected casings. In total there apear to be approximately 14 nicks in the finish, although I'm sure more could have hit in the same spots. I know there must be a problem with the ejection mechanism and I'm taking it into the shop this week to probably have it sent back to Walther, but my question is, has anyone else experienced this? I shot 180gr. CCI and 165gr. something else and both caused marking.

Thanks very much for any info/suggestions!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just fired my P99 .40 this morning for the first time. I put 81 rounds through it (3 magazines 3 times each) and it was flawless. But as you say, I have brass markings on the slide just to the rear of the ejection port. I'd sure be interested to hear what your resolution is. I was shooting American Eagle 155 grain solids and Remington 155 grain JHPs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have always gotten these marks on my .40 P99. There was another discussion about this *I think* on this forum.......it may have been on TFL, I've forgotten. But I think this happens on a lot of people's P99's.

On the thread I mentioned above, somebody said that they were able to remove the marks. They are just marks, not nicks in the finish; since it's not really a finish, but a treatment of the metal.

--Ben

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is normal. It happens to my 9mms also. You can remove the marks with some good bore cleaner like Butch's Bore Shine or Hoppes 9 Bench Rest. These are strong solvents and are ment to be used for the bore and tough markings only. Do not use these strong solvents on the frame.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Venom is correct, this is perfectly normal. My 9mm gets these all the time. Use some borecleaner on a toothbrush and scrub.....they'll come off.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It was here, I posted on the brass markings. A pencil eraser will remove the marks. It's normal. My 9mm does the same thing but in a different spot on the slide than my .40.

On a side note. My 9mm does something my .40 doesn't. Virtually impossible to insert/eject a full clip (10 rounds) into the gun (when slide is closed). Also just about impossible to rack with a full clip. With 9 rounds loaded it's perfect. The mag springs are well broken in also. Seems the 10th round is shoved up against the slide with enough forced to gouge the brass when racking. Both factory mags do it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My .40's and my 9mm both leave brass marks, but they easily come off with cleaning.

CKW,

Not sure on the mag problem. I noticed that my 9mm mags also need a little more force to go in than my .40's do, however they do go in when fully loaded. I haven't taken any of my 9mm mags apart yet to see, but could you remove some material from the baseplate to allow more room?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, I noticed the little brass marks too...

CKW... I too have a small problem with closing the slide on a full clip... Though my brass doesn't bend, I do have to slap it firmly if I want to get ten in the clip... mostly, I just leave nine and one in the chamber.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phew, glad to hear this is normal -- I wasn't liking the idea of having to send my new toy in. :p

Thanks again...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just noticed this mark right at the sharp corner past the port.

Thanks, now I'm going to be looking there all the time.

My four week old p99 has around 450 rounds through it. very small mark. Most rounds are speer gold dot with nickle plate.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I doubt it actually scratched the Tennifer coating. Mine are all brass marks that come off with some elbow grease.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts