Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I shoot my Walthers. Sigs, HKs, and 1911s, I recently had the chance to pick up a nickel 4" Smith & Wesson Model 29-2 44 at the last gun show. This joins my Model 27-2 357 5" N frame. Mastering the DA revolver is a complicated, but rewarding experience as it is a constant balancing act between the trigger travel and the sights. Any other auto guys that have a favorite revolver?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I have a real affinity for any S&W revolver from 1947 to the "infernal" lock system. The .44 Magnum is one of my favorites, mine has the 6 1/2" barrel - lots of fun to shoot!!!

I also like Colts, and was able to get a nice short barrel Diamondback recently - "just because".

One of my favorites though, and one that for me was hard to master is my Ruger Flat-Top .44 ..........

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny you should mention the Diamondback. I am considering one in 22, although a nice older K-22 would fit the bill as well.

I also have an old model 44Mag Superblackhawk (without transfer bar safety and warings written all over the gun) with a 7.5" barrel. I think there is a whole generation of shooters who are going to miss out on these types of firearms.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
caspian,

I think the Diamondback in a 6" .22 would be the equal of the K22 and in that length and caliber probably the best of its kind. I got the 2 1/2" .38 "just because" and I am a fan of the film "Bullit" and didn't want to feel derived when watching Steve McQueen!!! ;)

Sadly, lots of folks are missing out by not considering revolvers. In theshop where I work 99.9% of the folks who come in after pistols act like they never heard of a revolver ..... very sad!

·
Registered
489 Posts
My favorite gun of all types to shoot is a Colt 1847 Walker (replica of course; as I didn't have an extra $300,000+ for one of the 5 or 6 real ones left :( ) loaded with a 200 gr. lead ball in front of 60 grs. of black powder, and not too shabby going around 1,000 fps.

[Colt Walker. World's first .44 Magnum. The most powerful handgun in the West and would blow your head clean off. I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire five shots or only four?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. So, you've got to ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?". Well, do ya, Amigo?]

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Caspian,
You should show us your M29-2.
Thanx for another excuse to post a gun picture.:eek:
Before I do though just let me say that a .44 Magnum is on my list of guns to acquire.
Your Ruger would fill the bill nicely; I especially like the long barrel. Now check this out.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7833979

This is my late dad's Harrington & Richardson CTGE .32 S&W.

The cylinder is a bit loose so I won't fire it until it is fixed.

Until then I'll just have to enjoy this deadly duo::D
S&W M27-2 .357 Magnum and M10-7 .38 Special

Russell

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Russell,

Love that old H&R , nice condition and a unique holster. If that was mine would pass on shooting it and put it in a shadow box with a picture of Dad, nothing more personal to remember someone by than a handgun.

That engraved Ruger is interesting, but they should have dropped it in a blue tank after the engraving, doesn't look finished. The engraving looks to be well done. Price seems about $400 high to me without any other attribution.

You have two REALLY nice S&W's, no .357 made can touch the 27, it is class personified. I have a 5" version that shoots like poison with 146 Grain Winchester Silvertips. I have recently become interested in picking up a 2" Model 10, I would like the round butt variety or the Airweight, but yours is just fine.

The .44 Magnum is my all time favorite handgun round, and can do just about anything you could want a handgun to do. Before I aquired my Ruger, my .44 was a 6 1/2" 29-2. I still have the Smith, but don't shoot it as much in deference to the Ruger.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Speaking of Rugers, I have four Bearcats: two of the original models, and two of the new ones with the transfer safety bar modification. One of these is a blued gun, which I regularly take to the range; the other is a NIB stainless model. Here's a link (sorry -- not set up for pictures):

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Revolver&subtype=Single Action&famlst=10

The Bearcat is a single-action 6-shooter with a fixed site. It's a joy to fire, accurate out of the box, a good gun with which to hone your point-and-aim skills. If you are looking for a .22 with some history behind the design, or if you always wanted to be a cowboy but just couldn't afford .45 caliber ammunition, the Bearcat is well worth a look. It's also a perfect training gun for introducing someone to shooting. :D

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Good morning, Brad. It's nice to know that there are other Bearcat owners out there.

I don't shoot my old Bearcats any more, though I used to shoot them a great deal. One of them was absolutely spot-on (it's a 1964) ... a terrific little gun. The other one (a 1967 model) wasn't quite as good: I had to aim a bit low and left to keep things in the 10-ring. The blue model that I've taken to shooting today is, simply put, deadly: It absolutely hits what you aim at, every time. I got this one in June and have probably put 500 rounds through it at this point -- had it out a couple of weeks ago, in fact. From 15 yards, it's better than throwing darts; from 25 yards, even for a gun that small, it performs remarkably well. Like everything else, I guess it depends on the luck of the draw, but I wouldn't trade or sell any of the four. :)

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Searcher451,

I got my Bearcat (made 1966) for my kids, and it's been a while since we have shot it. Problem with it was that it shot so high it was too much a challenge for the girls and we set it aside in deference to a Walther PP .22 and a short barrel S&W Kit Gun, both of which grouped much nicer.

I have an old adjustible sight, like those on the Pre-War S&W's and it it a near perfect fit in the groove on the topstrap of the Bearcat. It would be a simple matter to fit this to the revolver, but I have always put that off because the little guns are somewhat collectible.

Maybe I'll take it out and try it again. Maybe my aim has improved in the past few years .....

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
153: The Bearcat proved to be a good training ground for both my wife and my son. My wife learned to shoot a revolver with the old model, and that has been too many years ago to consider now, sad to say. My son learned on the new model and did quite well with it. He's graduated to a P99 and handles that beter than the old man, for the most part.

I'd recommend the Bearcat to anyone; it's a great training revolver and, once adept, remains a lot of fun to shoot regularly. With ammo prices being what they are these days, the Bearcat is even more appreciated for a lazy day at the range. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts