Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this on youtube, according to the review, this slide plate is custom made for the Glock MOS by shield. Its a super thin mount plate that makes the RD sit lower on the slide, in some cases allowing you to co witness with some sights. Anyone know if a company makes these types of things for the Q4 or Q5?

IMG_1954.jpg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Shield makes them for the Q4/Q5 as well, don’t know about availability but I have seen a few guys around here that already have them installed. They should be able to tell you how to get one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shield makes them for the Q4/Q5 as well, don’t know about availability but I have seen a few guys around here that already have them installed. They should be able to tell you how to get one.

Sorry I should have clarified that I have a Vortex Viper in my original post. I don't think I can use the shield plate

·
Registered
187 Posts

Sorry I should have clarified that I have a Vortex Viper in my original post. I don't think I can use the shield plate
Ah, I see. I don’t know about that. I’ve been looking into the Q4 and the Shield and the thin plate Shield offers has more to do with getting the notch at the rear of the Shield to co-witness with the factory front sight than it does with making the package more compact.

With the Viper, it has no notch to co-witness from so the market might not be there for a thinner plate. It could be that you would have to get a custom plate milled to achieve what you want.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
The term "slide plate" is already being used. The slide plate is the part on the back of a striker fired pistol's slide, that slides down to remove the striker. It is usually polymer, and both the Glock and the PPQ use them.

I hate to be "that guy" but is there another term we can use for red dot mounting plates, to avoid confusion? I clicked on this thread expecting to read about something else.

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
Just a minute.....its 'slide end cap' (they're steel now...yes, that surprised me too) (part 20) and 'adapter plate' (part no. 51). :D

Walther makes/offers 4 adapter plates, one for LPA rear sight, which comes installed on the Q4/5. One each for Leupold Delta Point Pro, Trijicon RMR and Docter.

Its Okay..................

And Shield makes the thin adapter plate to fit the PPQ 4/5 that allows mounting the Shield RMS. The Shield RMS, when mounted on/with the ultra low Shield adapter plate allows the stock Walther front sight to be used with the built in notch on the rear of the Shield RMS.

Like this.

OK, so its not a stock Walther front sight. I don't have stock Walther sights on anything. However the sight I'm using is no taller than the stock factory sight.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Its a super thin mount plate that makes the RD sit lower on the slide, in some cases allowing you to co witness with some sights. Anyone know if a company makes these types of things for the Q4 or Q5?
The Q4 Tac, Q5 Match and Q5 Match Champion each come supplied with three adapter plates, one of which (the Docter) is compatible with your Vortex sight. Each of these adapter plates has a weight of 49g, which is brutal in comparison with the Shield Q4/Q5 plate (the one Old Fart is referring to), which weighs just 8g. Walther must also have thought that these plates were too heavy, because the newer (currently supplied) versions of said three pistols come with an aluminium version of the plates and these aluminium versions can also be purchased separately. They can be seen here (“Walther Alu-Adapterplatte” and marked “Neu”):

https://www.carl-walther.de/produkte/defense-waffen/pistolen/2814455.html

One possible course of action would be to take the thick Walther plate to a workshop and have them mill it down to a similar thickness to the Shield plate. Don't see why this wouldn't work - although you would have less thread for the mounting screws. The plate would have to be milled from the bottom because of the alignment studs (which are on top).

Old Fart? Whaddya think?

Balor

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry, the above link opens the Q5 Match main page. To see the aluminium plates I referred to, click on “Produktspezifisches Zubehör”, (immediately to the right of “Technische Daten”).

·
Registered
602 Posts
I kinda liked the Q5 in gray, with the slide milled for the Shield RMS. :D

Did you spot the other new product on the accessories page? It's at the top of the list on your screenshot and is titled “Walther PS front sight, 5,0”, article number 2714272.

Number 5 is a taller front sight than the standard PPQ/P99/PPS (#4) and the “PS” indicates phosphorescent.

So - a taller phosphorescent front sight as an alternative to the Q5's fibre-optic, or if you need to replace your PPQ/P99/PPS front sight with a taller one. Maybe they've introduced it because of the new co-witness options - I haven't noticed it before.

By the way, how do you get those screenshots to show? Whenever I try to attach one to a post, it always appears as a file.

Balor

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
Morning Balor. No, I didn't notice the no. 5 front sight....just didn't take time to study the page. But, I'd agree with your co-witness idea.

I use a software package 'snipping tool' to allow me to outline and capture any portion of the screen. Save the capture to the hard drive. Upload the capture (or any other picture) to imgur.com, then use a provided link to paste into my post.

Here ya go....check out post 864 https://www.waltherforums.com/forum...666-show-us-your-walther-photo-thread-87.html

·
Registered
602 Posts
Upload the capture (or any other picture) to imgur.com, then use a provided link to paste into my post.
Thanks! I'll try that the next time. I didn't think of using a picture-hosting website and linking to the URL. I was instead using the forum's own uploader to search for the file on my HD.

I think most readers would prefer to see the picture instantly, rather than having to click on a file.

Balor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts