Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my Interarms PPK/S 380 last year and since then it has been totally reliable and a pretty decent shooter with both factory and reloaded ammo.

It is the 3rd PPK/S 380 I have owned. Back in the late 1980s I bought new a blued PPK/S 380 and then later traded it for a stainless version. Then a few years later I traded the PPK/S - something I have always regretted.

So not long ago I find a used Glock 380 and since I like the 380 in the Walther I thought I would like it in the Glock too. The Glock did well with Remington 95 FMJ and Aguila 95 FMJ but with Federal 95 FMJ I had 3 malfunctions in 10 rounds. Was very disappointed to say the least.

Next range visit I decided to shoot both the PPK/S and the G42 at the 7 yard line 30 shots each pistol. The group size very close - I do see the Glock's sights better.

The winner is the PPK/S by virtue of no malfunctions with the Federal - the ammo fired through it in the target picture. The Glock target was 10 rounds of Rem 95 and 20 of the Aguila.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
You shouldn't be having malfs with a 42, period. I've run the crap out of several, with nary a problem.
For a start, check the magazines; they should have an 03 marked on the back. If not, ship 'em off to Glock; they will replace them free gratis.
PM me; you likely have an early 42.
Moon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a start, check the magazines; they should have an 03 marked on the back. If not, ship 'em off to Glock; they will replace them free gratis.
PM me; you likely have an early 42.
Moon
The seller was pretty adamant that the G42 was a later version with "all the fixes." I find out later that was not the case. I will contact Glock about sending back the magazines.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Given a choice between the two pistols, I’d rather look at and handle the Walther - but for CCW and shooting the Glock would be my first choice.

·
Registered
94 Posts
With my G-42 I find that if I allow my supporting left hand to get up too high I end up activating the slide stop before the magazine runs dry. On the plus side though, the Glock is by far and away more comfortable to shoot than the PP or PPK/s in the same caliber.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Be prepared for at least a few responses that pretty much amount to, "To hell with your testing, the Glock 42 is a more recent design and thus is objectively better. PERIOD!"

Also, "Carry the PPK if you wanna pretend you're James Bond. For serious self-defense, carry the G42."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, "Carry the PPK if you wanna pretend you're James Bond. For serious self-defense, carry the G42."
I would rather be James Bond than Austin Powers! :D

The modern G42 would be the better choice for carry if it worked all the time. I've not had any mishaps with the PPK/S. Also have two S&W Shields with no issues - the 9mm version my primary defense gun.

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
Celestron, the 42 should work all the time. :)
Don't be the guy over at Glocktalk who likes his 42, but gripes all the time about problems with it. But he refuses to send it back to get it fixed. :eek:
For my money, the 42 is the new PPK; it casts the same shadow, even if it is nowhere near as elegant.
Moon

Reactions: Nieto
1 - 10 of 10 Posts