Walther Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I can totally see myself in your country trying to communicate 7,65 but having it sound like ‘Seven Fun Fun’ instead.
Perhaps you'd have more luck with "sept soixante-cinq" in the French spoken parts of the country. :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum Esoterica. You have my sympathy for your difficulties. We've got a lot of knowledgeable members here so we'll help you out as best we can.

I've never tried shooting hollow points through my P38's or PPK's but it sounds like you're well equiped for the time being with the Beretta and Ruger.
Thank you. Yes, we're okay with the Beretta and Ruger and a Z88 (my partner), but we fear that the ANC will soon expropriate these guns which are kept for defense (self defense not an acceptable reason to own a gun!), so I'm hoping they will allow collectors to keep their guns. I am genuinely interested in older guns and would collect anyway, but it's good to know you could rely on one of them for defense if necessary. I've read that it's not advised to use plus-P ammon in a P38 and I wouldn't do so, but perhaps someone will try jacketed hollow points sometime and let us know how they feed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Among other things, I happen to be a fan of certain HK guns. Most notably, the HK4. For those unaware, the "4" was significant in that the gun was designed to shoot any of four calibers (.22LR, .25, .32, and .380) with the appropriate conversion kit (a barrel and appropriate magazine). My first one I purchased brand new in 1973, was in 22lr and 380. Subsequent magazines I've acquired since have come with markings in both 7,65 and 9mmk - they're physically identical, and either shoots flawlessly with .380 ammunition. I suspect that while there is a slight difference in casie dimensions between the 7,65 and 9mmk, it doesn't hamper feeding - at least not in my guns. I wouldn't expect the PPK mags to be that much different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Among other things, I happen to be a fan of certain HK guns. Most notably, the HK4. For those unaware, the "4" was significant in that the gun was designed to shoot any of four calibers (.22LR, .25, .32, and .380) with the appropriate conversion kit (a barrel and appropriate magazine). My first one I purchased brand new in 1973, was in 22lr and 380. Subsequent magazines I've acquired since have come with markings in both 7,65 and 9mmk - they're physically identical, and either shoots flawlessly with .380 ammunition. I suspect that while there is a slight difference in casie dimensions between the 7,65 and 9mmk, it doesn't hamper feeding - at least not in my guns. I wouldn't expect the PPK mags to be that much different.
This is interesting news to me! Thanks for sharing. I don't know the HK4 but will look it up later. Hearing others' experiences with this issue has been very informative and helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How fortunate you are (for the time being) in the US where there's some synpathy for gun collectors. I'm in S Africa and the ANC wants to disarm citizens on the grounds that 'self defense is not sufficient grounds to own a gun'! I'm interested in classic guns like the Walher P38, PP and PPK, a Webley in .455 calibre etc, and want to collect these, but have to apply for a collector's accreditation which takes about a year, with luck. Permission can be refused with no reason given. If I buy a gun I can't try it or even handle it until I've applied for a license for that particular gun which has to stay in a safe at a dealer. So buying used guns is difficult. This is why I'm relying on others' experience, so the experiences shared here are all the more appreciated. I wouldn't chose a .380 for self defense if I had a choice of a larger calibre, but I have the idea that ammo design has improved so that this calibre has more stopping power than in the past. I'm wonder if the PP and PPK (and the the US PPKS) feed hollow points reliably. As I said, these guns are mainly objects of interest to me - just looking at them is satisfying - but it's reassuring to know that in a country with horrendous violent crime one has a gun with at least fair stopping power. I also wonder if the P38 handles hollow points. (Self defense guns are a Ruger 357 magnum and a Beretta 92 SB). I'm going to to sports shooting too in the very optimistic hope that when self defense guns are outlawed I'll at least be able to enjoy the collectors guns and sports shooting. Thanks again for the input.
Here in Facistfornia self defense is not not a reason for being armed .

·
Registered
33 Posts
P-38s...my 2 cents worth. No +P loads!!. imo. Now I am pretty sure i shot some boxes of hollow points thru my two '40s P-38s (brought back from war by my dad) back in the 1980s. Run of the mill Winchester hp's. Even with later production p38s stay away from hot loads. I finally got spring kits, for both, from Wolff and am changing recoil springs this weekend. Haven't fired them in about 10+ yrs but strip and clean twice a yr. I shoot the p38s super Hot younger sister - a 1940 pp "SevenSixFive" ;) every 6 months or so with Winchester wb and Blazer Brass.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts