Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
moss', full sympathy on looking for a .32 at a reasonable price. We .32 fans here should have kept our mouths shut....I'm sure you are aware of Interarms or current production Smith & Walthers. I've had great luck with the Interarms guns, and some here like the Smiths.

Understand about the LCP; not all guns fit all people.
Moon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I had to spring for a Smith in 32 and I have been pleased with it. $475 post-recall off Gunbroker and it had been fired just enough to almost break it in. I may have mentioned it here B4, but it shoots all the cheap $15 a box junk like corn going thru a goose, HP or FMJ. I have not had the first FTF, but that don't mean I won't. I have not shot any of the more expensive SD stuff, or the aluminum cased CCI, so I could yet find ammo it doesn't like.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Moon,
I am aware of the the Smith version and am considering the PPK in .32 ACP. unfortunately the .32 does not come in blued which is what I would prefer. Since I have a stainless PPK/S, maybe I'll shoot for blued .380 non-S, and a stainless .32 non-S.

Tom

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
auto', where are you finding .32 ammo at $15 @ 50? A buddy and I have stocked up on .32s mostly for the brass; it is usually much more cost effective to buy loaded ammo than just brass for reloading for some odd reason. At that $15 price, it might be worth snagging a little more.

Your experience mirrors my own; the .32s are easy to feed, and less fussy than the .380s. Mossguy, however, has the wheels turning in my head; I'm rethinking a .380 since his is running on milder loads.

moss', not meaning to tell you something you likely already know, but the PP Police turn-ins are still out there, tho' they require some luck and looking. I snagged one a couple three years ago for $250 in about 92-95% shape; perfect function and it shoots straighter than the road to hell.

Have you talked to Smith to see if they are considering a blued version?
Moon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
You can purchase the PPU and Fiocchi stuff from Midway USA (and probably other places) at around $14.99 to $15.99 in the 50-round boxes. The shipping is what gets you though. What I do is order a couple of boxes every time I order anything else from any of the suppliers. Like...a "normal" package to me from Midway is around $10 UPS. Anytime I order something for my buddies that are too lazy....I just have a couple of boxes of ammo stuck in the shipment and let them pay the postage.....LOL.

This same ammo runs around $20 at the local gun shows. YES...It's just practice stuff, but it beats the off-the-shelf price for anything I can find at Wally-World.

I have ran a good bit of USA ball ammo through my 380. It's reloaded stuff for like....$10.50 box of 50, but the postage between here and Lewiston, WA eats up the savings.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
auto', understood, a buddy and I frequently split the shipping and/or combine an order. The shipping is a kick in the shorts.
Thnx,
Moon

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Moon,
I wasn't aware of the PP police turn-ins, but I think I would rather go in the direction of the TPH. Cheaper, softer, probably just as much fun. My options narrow as my budget shrinks,

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Moon,
I wasn't aware of the PP police turn-ins, but I think I would rather go in the direction of the TPH. Cheaper, softer, probably just as much fun. My options narrow as my budget shrinks,

Thanks

Tom
A really neat little gun, but a minty one won't be cheap...keep your eyes and options open. I have a short list of gunshops that are relatively close by; a buddy and I haunt them periodically because they take trades. That's the magic formula, beyond the internet auction boards, which have been overpriced and underproductive lately. Gunshows are another good option.
Do be aware that the 'rappiness' of the .380 is not present in the .32s and .22s; the heavier caliber is just pushing the envelope.
Moon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I had a friend of mine shoot my 32. I have both the 380 and the 32 and this friend has a 380. I can definitely feel the difference between the Ranger 380 and the Smith 32, but this guy told me he could not tell much if any difference at all. I CAN....I think it was because he was left-handed or something...:D The 32 is much more enjoyable to shoot....for me anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Range Report

Today I tested 25 rounds of the following load:

2.2-2.3 grains of Bullseye
mixed brass
100 gr Rainier Plated Round Nose
CCI Small Pistol Primers #500

I did 20 rounds (by fives) in the PPK and 5 rounds in the Mustang for comparison.
The five rounds cycled well in the Mustang but were not very accurate.

With the PPK, I had 3 well spaced Fail-to- Feed-Tap-Fire's so I am probably at the mild load limit. They certainly felt good and in the PPK, the load was accurate.

I plan to load another small test batch at 0.01gr lighter and see what happens. I will probably use a large target closer in, so that I can be sure that indeed "The bullet has left the barrel".

Tom

I should mention that I have not cleaned the gun since I started this load testing about 200 rounds ago or so. I will try the 2.2 gr. load again with a clean gun.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Tom, by 'tap to feed tap fire', do you mean the gun failed to go completely in to battery?

Yes, make sure that the bullet exits the gun...I have a ringed barrel from a long-departed, and thoroughly jinxed Smith .45. Not only did I blow it up with a round hung in the bore, but after it was repaired and traded, it was stolen twice, and once recovered by the police after it was thrown in the river. Don't know where it is now, but I don't want near it without holy water.

Anyway, make sure the bullet finds its way out.
Moon

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Moon, yes the gun failed to go completely to battery, then tap the bottom of the magazine, and to battery it goes and fire. FTFeed, then Tap, then Fire.

I had a "Failure to exit the barrel, then shoot again" experience with my daughter-in-law's S&W Model 10. It is still in the shop with a possible bulged barrel. Fortunately no injuries.

Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Some possible causes of your FTF problem come to mind. First as you mentioned: Clean the gun. Next, clean the magazine as the FTF round may be picking up just enough crud to keep it from fully chambering. Then measure the over all ctg length. Should be .9560 t0 .9700. Not a bad idea, also to the sort cases by brand and length before reloading them. By reducing the amount of Bullseye to "tame" recoil you may be approaching the limit of blowback needed to fully operate the slide and compress the main spring. My references show that accuracy ( 3" @ 25 yds) and function with at 100 grain FMJ bullet is 3.1 Bullseye +/- .2 grains.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
By reducing the amount of Bullseye to "tame" recoil you may be approaching the limit of blowback needed to fully operate the slide and compress the main spring. My references show that accuracy ( 3" @ 25 yds) and function with at 100 grain FMJ bullet is 3.1 Bullseye +/- .2 grains.
Tom, OS is likely right. You're cutting it too fine on the powder charge.

In addition to a cleaning of the mag, while you have it apart, polish the inside front of the mag with crocus cloth wrapped around a dowel. Don't go crazy, but polish off any burr that may be there from when it was stamped; a little catch there may slow the round enough to cause trouble. I've found it often helps first round feeding issues especially.
Moon

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Oldshot, the gun is now thoroughly cleaned and all my reloads are OAL: 0.964 +/-.002. I agree that I am approaching the lower limit of powder charge. My goal is to discover how little is too little. At that point I will load probably @ 2.4 grains Bullseye and get a heavier padded glove. Unfortunately the recoil hits me right where the arthritis in my first thumb joint is the worst.

Moon, I will do the mag polish tomorrow before going to the range. I have loaded 20 cartridges with a 1.9-2.0 powder charge and I think that will be the end of my"quest".

A little serendipity: I am loading some .32APC's for my Beretta and the 1.9-2.0 gr. setting on the microdisk is just right.

Tom

I will also separate my .380's by headstamp. No reason not too.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Tom, I'm running 1.7 grs Bullseye/75 gr RNL in the .32; very mild, 100% function in several guns.
Are your cases holding the bullets okay?

Moon

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Moon. I haven't shot the .32 load yet, probably tomorrow or Thursday. And yes, the cases are holding the bullets just fine. You are using lead bullets and I am using Rainier Plated. Could make a difference in the load requirements. We'll see.

Tom

Correction: I'm using Magtech bullets in .32. (Rainier doesn't make them) and they are metal jacket with an exposed lead base.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Tom, just keep an eye open for the problem. First batch of reloads in .32 ACP wasn't a problem, then we picked up some gunshow brass, and the 0.309" bullets started dropping into some of the cases. Assumed a brass problem, but then it happened with some brass of my own.
I'm currently using 0.310" 75gr RNL; in combination with the Lee undersize sizing die, the problem has gone away completely. It is surely a tolerance stacking issue, and with the right set of circumstances, you may never encounter it.
What is the diameter of your FMJs?
Moon

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
RANGE REPORT

Here is the load I tested:

2.0 gr. Bullseye
100 gr Rainier Plated RN
CCI Primers
OAL: .0965 +/-

The powder charge in the 17 prepared bullets ranged from 2.0 (#12) to 1.9 (#4), with one being 1.7 gr.

This has been my best load yet! Very light recoil, felt like I could shoot it all day. Every load cycled the action properly, including the 1.7 gr. Part of the success I attribute to a very clean gun. To check that, I fired some 2.2-2.3 gr. loads from last week and got consisten faliure to return to battery. Went back to the lighter(2.0) load and all is well! Go figure.

This concludes my light load/recoil search. I'm sticking with 2.0 gr Bullseye.

.32 ACP

My bullets are .310". I loaded a bunch with the same 1.9-2.0 load as I did the .380's. They worked fine but were too snappy for me. I will do the same testing with the .32 ( which is a Beretta Tomcat, while I search for a .32 PPK)

I am considering buying a Smith .32 PPK new and having it refinished in one of the Robar finishes, possibly Gun Metal Gray, and add some of my homemade wood or faux ivory grips. I figure that modifying a Smith would not upset collectors or historians.

On the other hand (you have five fingers) I need to fire a .32 PPK and see if my new light load will take the place of the .32 (for now). I wrote to Smith and was informed that there were no plans to provide a Blued .32 PPK.

Thanks to all for the advice and feed back, and

Thank you to all our veterans!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts