Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost positive that this has been posted before. But because so many folks here carry a Walther in .380 ACP for personal protection, and because we get a lot of requests for ammo recommendations, and because we get a lot of ammo recommendations based on personal preference, it might be worthwhile to keep this information close by for handy reference:

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/380acp/gel380acp.htm

It's not perfect, it's not ideal, and the testers could have used a better handgun by far than the Kel-tec P-3AT :)mad:), but it does provide some perspective on the issue of self-defense ammo ... and FMJ's worth when thrown into the mix.

Feel free to add to the mix. Opinions and recommendations are always welcome on this topic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would love to see how Buffalo Bore stacks up. It appears to be a quantum leap for the .380.
X2 that is what I use for carry loads. One clip with the 100 gn. F.N. and the other with the 90 gn. JHP. The boxes I have are the newest stuff with even higher velocities than before. The 90 is achieving 1200fps according to Buffalo Bore, I need to test it in my own gun to verify though. I hate shooting a $1 .380 bullet though, especially since my regular everyday range rounds I reload myself for like .25$ a pop.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On a recent episode of Tom Gresham's Gun Talk show on the radio, Ed Head of Gunsite made the comment that Gunsite's testing indicated that, when using premium self-defense rounds, performance was almost identical among the .380, .38 Special, and 9mm ammo that was examined. This was especially true when using Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

You can listen to the broadcast here:

http://guntalk.libsyn.com/

It's the Guntalk of March 21, found at 16:30 into the hour.

Whether you buy it is another matter, of course.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
On a recent episode of Tom Gresham's Gun Talk show on the radio, Ed Head of Gunsite made the comment that Gunsite's testing indicated that, when using premium self-defense rounds, performance was almost identical among the .380, .38 Special, and 9mm ammo that was examined. This was especially true when using Hornady Critical Defense ammo.
Hmmmm....am I the only one that finds that conclusion fairly disturbing? I would hope that 9MM would provide better performance than a .380. I didn't listen to the show, but I'm pretty sure I disagree with that conclusion. :(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know that I found it disturbing, but I did find it awfully surprising. In fact, I read it a couple of times, just to make sure that I hadn't missed something along the way.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Hmmmm....am I the only one that finds that conclusion fairly disturbing? I would hope that 9MM would provide better performance than a .380. I didn't listen to the show, but I'm pretty sure I disagree with that conclusion. :(
Dep: Please don't get upset by this, but I AGREE with you.

It doesn't make any mathematical sense.

M

1 - 20 of 142 Posts