Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on some of the latest stats on wound ballistics and I don't see what the big deal is with the 357 Sig.
I don't see that much difference between the proper ammo in a 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP. Do you think that the 357 is that good? Would it be worth Walther's time and expense to market this caliber? I know that some have had drop in barrels in this caliber, what do you think?

·
Registered
31 Posts
+P+ 9mm ammo is almost ballistically identical to .357 sig, and both tear your gun up about equally. I dont think Walther would bother to make a gun in that model, given the current law enforcement craze in .40. If the .357 sig's popularity spread then it would be a possibility.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Given their lack of marketing to begin with, it would not be a fruitful effort. There is no reason to market a gun for a select circle of shooters, especially when all one has to do is buy a P99 in 40SW and then spend another $200 or so for a new barrel. The best thing Walther could do is actually market their existing line of guns. In my opinion they have a product that is superior to Glock and even HK in some respects, yet they do nothing to gain more market share. Atleast that is the case here in the USA. Not sure what they do world wide. If they want to add to their caliber offerings, I'd say go for 45ACP. If they want to be a bit more unique, go for 45GAP. Walther needs to get in the ball game cause when the S&W MP series hits my bet is that support from S&W will diminish greatly.

·
Registered
333 Posts
From what I have read, the terminal velocity statistics of the 357 sig is not all that remarkable when compared to a well “heeled” .40 cal S&W. Let’s just say I am not running out to buy a gun using that cartridge in order to gain more knocked down power or wound damage-- than I find with the .40 S&W round.

The 357 sig was an experiment with a high velocity- lighter projectile OVER the lower velocity- heavier projectile. They took the .40 caliber S&W casing and necked it down to accept a 9mm bullet. The casing design allows for greater internal pressures and the ability to spit out the bullet at a pretty fast clip.

This leads us to the age old argument that has been going on since time began – what has greater “stopping power” a high velocity-light weight projectile OR a slower velocity – heavy projectile. For my money , I side with the heavier slow moving bullet theory, when it comes to handguns. Even the reports coming back from Iraq claim the 45 Acp has superior stopping power over the 9mm pistols our soldiers are using. The 1911 is still, after 50 years, the weapon of choice with the soldiers in combat. Keep in mine , the fact I have stated relates to using military
Hard ball ammo. Exotic hollows points are not allowed in Warfare. If they were allowed, I feel the 9mm would exhibit acceptable stopping power.

I believe the .40 S&W OR the .45 acp has the necessary stopping power when confronting an attacker. Other exotic cartridges will also work nicely, but why reinvent the wheel. I personally use a 3” revolver .44 Spl. [loaded hot ] shooting a Gold Dot hollow point as a CCW. Like the phrase I read often on the S&W Forum says “If you are going to make a hole -- Make a BIG one! “ I also use a 3” .41 magnum on occasion – you don’t want to be anywhere near the front of that revolver when it is fired.-smile-

JF.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The .357 Sig offers ballistics comparable to the .357 Magnum, which had a long history of successful use among many LE agencies.

The LE agencies moving to .357 Sig like it because of its ability to penetrate obstacles and still have enough energy to stop the threat.  Various State Police Departments and the Secret Service want a cartridge that can reliably get through windshields, car doors, and other forms of cover.  

I'm not an LEO so I wouldn't presume to tell them what they want or need.  But if they feel it works better for them than the 9 mm or .40 S&W, more power to them.  It would be nice if the officers get what they want rather than what some bureaucrat tells them they can have.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I am doing this from memory from my cowboy shooting days but if I am correct, a .40 S&W is equvalent to the old 38/40, the .45ACP to the .45 Long Colt and the 44 Special/41 mag the old 44/40. Anything from a .41-45 Cal in a wheel gun is reported to be very good bg stoppers. But I can see the need for the .357 to shoot through barriers. But even the high velocity, smaller hole does not always work...i.e. the recent shooting of a NYC LEO who took a .357 Mag in the chest, later died, but was able to place 6 shots in two perps....

·
Registered
15 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ Dec. 13 2005,20:25)]Now I am doing this from memory from my cowboy shooting days but if I am correct, a .40 S&W is equvalent to the old 38/40, the .45ACP to the .45 Long Colt and the 44 Special/41 mag the old 44/40. Anything from a .41-45 Cal in a wheel gun is reported to be very good bg stoppers. But I can see the need for the .357 to shoot through barriers. But even the high velocity, smaller hole does not always work...i.e. the recent shooting of a NYC LEO who took a .357 Mag in the chest, later died, but was able to place 6 shots in two perps....
The big thing about the 357 mag is that for years the 125 gr JHP has been the number one stopper. The 357 sig was attempt to duplicate the 357 mag in a semi auto. Now why they used the 9mm bullet and not the 38/357 I have no idea, but that was the original intent. I am not sure if it actually does what it was designed to do or not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now why they used the 9mm bullet and not the 38/357 I have no idea,
Probably because the 9mm P projectile is the same diameter as the .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

Check your reloading manual.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought the Bar-Sto 357Sig barrel for the P99 and it performs as expected. Accurate and powerful about the same kick as the 9 or 40. Just more noise and blast.
But I had to send the upper to Bar-Sto for good fitting at extra expense.
If I had it to do over, I would probably not because of cost to satisfaction factor.

As more law enforcement turn to the 357Sig caliber, Walther may be served to offer the caliber. Smith and Wesson is offering the new M&P model in 357Sig according to the factory website.

As a note I have the Sig P239 (single stack) in 357Sig and love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts