Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets leave the so and so is only a little bigger bla bla bla and focus on what I am asking.

with shot placement being the key to any lethal encounter, and penetration being key before all other terminal concerns, who here carries or knows of somebody who carries a .32 acp as their primary and or only ccw? I ask this because I know of such a person and their argument is compelling enough for me to offer it to another person.

the PP/PPK .32 acp is thin and easy to carry in any decent holster on the belt line IWB or OWB. the D/A S/A makes it safe in the event of a clumsy draw, while the D/A is not easy, it is not too much either as it is just for the first shot. recoil is quite tame and considerably lighter than the same gun firing a .380. quality FMJ rounds are found virtually everywhere ammo is sold. The gun itself is easy to manipulate (controls are familiar to most)…

I know an older gentleman that carries one IWB in the summer and OWB in the winter. he is a fairly decent shot with it and he says his arthritic fingers and hands don't mind the recoil or D/A first shot. I know any gun is better than no gun, but without having the defeat intermediate barriers I cannot find any fault in his decision for this gun and caliber.

I have worked numerous shooting scenes and have seen about the same amount of DRT from small calibers as I have from large ones, and shot placement was always the key. we can argue about the guy hit with the .50 caliber and ran 10 blocks to the hospital or the bullet that ricochets off the skull all we want but we all know those are the exception not the norm and clearly good shot placement was not made.

so I will ask again..... who does or carry or know of one who does carry a .32 acp as a primary/only gun? the late Larry Seecamp did so and his reasons are explained elsewhere. We can forgo the WW2 soldiers doing so and how it was once an issued round bla bla bla…. I mean today, without the trite history lessons.....

thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm older, getting close to 70. The first pistol I ever shot was a war time Luftwaffe Mauser HSc. Of course they only came in .32 during that war. It belonged to my older brother. I was 16. I fired it from the hip like a TV gun slinger and put 3 in less than a 2" circle at the center of a pie pan behind my grandpa's house in the Smoky Mountains. I lived in a city my Dad had passed and the only chance I got to shoot was on the annual family reunion. A year later my brother took me to an indoor range to see if I could still shoot like that. I tried to shoot from the hip but my brother stopped me as he was afraid I would hit the ceiling. I wasn't worried, I had practiced quick draw with a toy 6 shooter that fired spring loaded plastic bullets. It worked pretty good from about 8 to 10-ft and my former Marine Dad got a kick out of me out drawing Matt Dillon on TV. Well at the indoor range I rapid fired the little Mauser using the sights and allowing just the fraction of a second for the mussel rise to fall back on the correct sight picture. Again a 2" grouping at 50-ft. I figured if you can hit your adversary in the head before they get off a shot you'll be alright even with a .32. I was amazed that a little short barreled gun could be that accurate. Fortunately I've never had to find out for real. I've always been good cold bore, so to speak, but the more I shoot the worse I get. Might be the arthritis. Low recoil is a big benefit with the .32. I tried to talk my brother out of that gun it was well worn and we new the Sargent that captured the pilot. I finally got a close to mint commercial early wartime Mauser a couple of years back. I don't carry much as I don't go out much these days and my shooting range needs bush hogging if I can get my tractor back up and running.
-Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
My father in law pocket carries a KelTec P32 in summer when the weather calls for shorts and a T shirt. I, on the other hand, will wear similar shorts and a T shirt and still have my P99, a spare mag, a small fixed blade, a SOFT-W tourniquet, and OC spray all on my belt line.

The questions are, 1. what do you think is the bare minimum sufficient for your needs, 2. are you comfortable sticking with just that bare minimum, and 3. are you proficient with it. Everyone's answer is different, and that's fine. Just have an argument to back up your decision, and acknowledge any disadvantages of your chosen gear. As you point out, .32 with proper shot placement will do the job for the average civilian defensive encounter, so it's a solid choice if it fits your lifestyle and any other requirements (and you're actually capable of that shot placement). I'll only start arguing about it when people insist it's objectively "as good" as a service-sized pistol, or even a subcompact 9mm.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't own a .32 cal pistol...yet!

I'm seriously considering a .32 cal ccw as my next gun for most of the same reasons mentioned in JERRYS post. If I can't neutralize a threat with a .32 then I probably won't neutralize them with something bigger, either. Shot placement really is the key.

The .32 seems to be the perfect size and caliber for those of us who don't need those larger calibers and carry dozens of rounds of ammo to confront mulitple bad guys. It doesn't have the snappy recoil of the .380 or larger calibers which allows for quicker, more controlled follow-up shots and has the penetration to affect the internal organs without fear of uncontrolled overpenetration and is small enough to carry comfortably.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Paul Harrell has a pretty good video out on the topic. I've grown to be a fan of his work. You may or may not be.

Im always a little amuzed by statements like "if the police and military carried it at one time it must be ok".

I mean geez....they used to carry muskets at one time.

Im sure the 32 is way better than nothing. I know its more about the gunman than the gun but....its hard not say there are better choices.

If it's all you have make the best of it. If you've come to terms with the limitations or it's more about the mystique of a vintage gun so be it. I could not advocate for it though.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Lots of variables in a self defense shooting. Handicapping yourself with a cartridge of questionable effectiveness doesn't seem like a good idea.

If you carry a gun for 60 years and never use it, just about any caliber will do.

Yes, the .32 can be lethal, folks hunt deer with a .22 LR. But packing a .32 PPK when there are so many nice modern 9m/m compact autos that are more reliable, and way more lethal. Packing a .32 seems to be an expression of vanity and style rather than serious self defense.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I remember the Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrator bullet in .32 getting some decent chatter a while ago.

·
Super Moderator
7,361 Posts
I've a terrible .32 jones, from a '35 Beretta to some PP series to a Tomcat to a CZ Scorpion. They are soft, pleasant shooting and entertaining. I even reload for the little buggers so I can afford to shoot them more. But I wouldn't carry one; there are too many better alternatives that are no bigger and kick no harder.
The G42 is no bigger than a PPK and infinitely softer shooting than the .380 PPK. The P365 is only slightly bigger, soft shooting, and a 9mm with 10 rounds.
Counting on a .32 as a primary is simply an affectation, tho' it does beat pepper spray or primal screaming.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
If you’re spot on with shot placement, the 7.65 will kill them just as dead as anything else.
In a violent encounter, you may be moving, your adversaries may be moving. They may be trying to shoot, stab or kick your head in. These things are not conducive to perfect accuracy (stating the obvious). Neither is that infamous PPK DA trigger pull.

Just my opinion, but I think one would be better off with the simple and humble small frame revolver, even with that guns limitations. My rationale being the reliabilty, especially when fired with a less than perfect grip or shooting position, more powerful round and simple, quick to bring to action manual of arms.

I think it was Clint Smith who said, when asked why he still carried a revolver as a ankle or pocket gun, " at my age, if I get into a fight, I'll probably end up on the ground wrestling with someone or someone trying to kick my head in". My quote isn't perfect but close. In a scenario like that, the humble revolver has real advantages.

Not trying to stir the pot, just conveying my opinions.

·
Super Moderator
7,361 Posts
There are far worse choices than a Smith Centennial, especially if the muzzle happens to be shoved up against the BG.
But double action is an acquired skill at any distance.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
There are far worse choices than a Smith Centennial, especially if the muzzle happens to be shoved up against the BG.
But double action is an acquired skill at any distance.
Moon
Fair point about DA shooting.

I think your point about contact distance shooting is also true in scenarios where you might be shooting with a less than perfect grip, off balance, weak hand only, ... that Centennial will still work.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
In a violent encounter, you may be moving, your adversaries may be moving. They may be trying to shoot, stab or kick your head in. These things are not conducive to perfect accuracy (stating the obvious). Neither is that infamous PPK DA trigger pull.

Just my opinion, but I think one would be better off with the simple and humble small frame revolver, even with that guns limitations. My rationale being the reliabilty, especially when fired with a less than perfect grip or shooting position, more powerful round and simple, quick to bring to action manual of arms.

I think it was Clint Smith who said, when asked why he still carried a revolver as a ankle or pocket gun, " at my age, if I get into a fight, I'll probably end up on the ground wrestling with someone or someone trying to kick my head in". My quote isn't perfect but close. In a scenario like that, the humble revolver has real advantages.

Not trying to stir the pot, just conveying my opinions.

Jimmo952, I was replying to the first thing the OP said which spoke initially to shot placement. Therefore my response...IF your shot placement is spot on, that .32 acp between the eyes will kill your adversary same as any other.

The OP conceded all the other arguments being made and asked that we not even bother to go there. He simply wanted to know if anyone carries a .32 acp.

Personally, I carry a 9mm but that’s not what he asked.

However, I have been known to carry my 7.65mm PPK without fear of my pending doom because of it. After all, it has a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window! :D

1 - 20 of 152 Posts