Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1978 Walther Interams PPK/s in .22LR with the black plastic thumb rest left grip panel and no banner on either side. I have seen another identical .22LR PPK/s, also a 1978 vintage, with the standard black plastic banner grips. This gun was serial numbered 252 higher than mine. What dictates what guns get what grips? Are the thumb rest grips a special order item?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Thumb rest grip is standard, but any Walther/Manurhin PP (!) grip will match. It's just a question of taste.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've only seen the thumbrest grips on the pistols chambered in .22LR, unless somepone swapped a set and put them on a centerfire gun.

·
Super Moderator
7,411 Posts
It was my (perhaps incorrect) assumption that the thumbrest grips were required to meet GCA68 import regulations. I can recall ordering replacements back when I purchased one some years ago.
I somehow remember having to do this twice, but I've had two .22s, so that may explain a foggy memory. My centerfires are all Interarms.
Moon

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Correct, introduced in 1968 for PPK/S chambered in .22lr.

·
Super Moderator
7,411 Posts
Did the fact that it was a .22 make a difference compared to center fire calibers?
Do I recall some sort of points for 'sporting purposes' needed for importation?
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Did the fact that it was a .22 make a difference compared to center fire calibers?
Yes, the .22lr got five points less because of the missing loaded chamber indicator. This fact could be counterbalanced by the target grips, which resulted in five positive points.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts