Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .22 tph.  It is an interarms version.  It doesn't seem to work too good.  After I fire a round, the slide doesn't close all the way.  The best ammo I have found so far are CCI minimags, which seem to work better than the rest.  Any suggestions?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Umungst other things the recoil spring may be getting weak. CCI's are usually loaded pretty hot so the slide may be bouncing off the frame when it cycles backwards.

Had a similar problem with one of my competition guns (silly me, I should be changing those things every 2,000 rounds anyway).

For now try a drop of oil on the slide rails and make sure it's cleaned VERY well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I do notice that it seems to work better when it is clean and lubed, but after 50 rounds or so it starts 'acting up'. It has done this since I bought it new so I don't think the spring has worn out, unless it came that way from being stored for a while before I bought it. Where can I get a new spring?

I have heard that the interarms ones were not as good as the german ones and that is why they quit making them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If that gun was sitting in storage for a few years it could very well have developed a "memory" in the spring. Meaning it started to take the form of it's compressed state. I had an underpowered (on purpose) 13lb. spring for a 1911 (factory is 18lb.) that did the same as yours. After a few years it felt pretty darned weak. I ordered a couple of new Wolf springs, again 13lb., and it felt twice as stiff and the gun worked great (patting self on the back since I built the gun). I think the first springs were from Bulleye.

You can try here but I would call them to make sure a TP will work with a TPH:

http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

If your going to store it more I'd do it with the slide taken off.

There could even be a machining burr near the feed ramp. Check for any deep gouges in areas that would normally mate with another part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. They don't carry the springs for the TPH but I did order them from www.e-gunparts.com.

I also found out that Interarms shipped numerous .22 tphs with the .25 tph recoil spring, so that could account for the problems I am having.

I took it down to the range with half a dozen different ammo types and again the mini-mags worked the best. I hope when the new springs come, it will work even better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts