Walther Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The best way to improve your accuracy is to practice with a .22 pistol or better yet a .22 revolver. Every few months I will break out my S&W mod.-18 .22 revolver and go to the range for a long introspective shooting session.

Using the smaller caliber handgun- you are able to smooth out your trigger pull and concentrate on avoiding “recoil anticipation” and smooth out your follow through. The longer you shoot this small handgun, the more relaxed your trigger pull will become.

Now, jump back into the world of the P-99……………you will be surprised at how accurate your first few rounds will be on target. After a long session with the .22 revolver……. The following week I went back to the P-99. Yikes !! The first Cartridge going off – the gun almost jumped out of my hands. I had practiced & relaxed my grip so much on the .22 revolver, that I failed to re-tighten my grip to the needs of a .40 Cal. Speer Gold Dot going off. After my initial surprise………and re-adjusting my grip <smile>………… I put all 50 rounds through a single hole that grew to the size of a half dollar—this from 30 feet away to the target.

The point of this story…..just like my relaxed & loose grip transferred to my P-99 session which presented a momentary problem --- so did my new found smooth trigger pull which translated into some of the best accuracy I have been able to obtain using the .40 cal Walther.

Get a .22............... your shooting skills will only benefit!

JF.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hmm, maybe this explains my doing so well at the range the other day. I thought it was my new set of Meps. I took a new shooter to the range and broke him in on my P22. Now the trigger pull is different but after shooting several hundred rounds of .22's I switched over to my .9mm and I too had one big hole. I will have to try this experiment again...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts