Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It is still a free country. They are entitled to shoot up what they have. It is their money and ammo.

Some people had thousands of rounds of .22 before the shortages. I still had .22 rds from the late 70's, that were CCI $.98 a hundred, still on the box. I was shooting more 556, 9mm, and 7.65 than .22. However, when they were on sale. I would pick up a brick or two at $5-$6. I would also pickup a box of 500 rds of 9mm, when it was on sale for $7-$8. Those were things you did before the shortages.

So now I replace the old with the new. When I happen upon some .22's. I buy my two box limit and then I free up some of the old to shoot. The problems is, some of the new, today, is not as good as the old.

It is interesting, that my LGS has had the CCI Green .22 for a couple of weeks and no one seems to want to buy it. I guess the $7 a 50 box is not that interesting. It is not for me. Also the consignment .22 at $50 a brick are not doing that well, either. They do have Blazer bricks for the folks that buy a .22 from them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Why do we have a .22 lr ammo shortage today (052214), here is why.

Since 2009 at least 20 million new gun owners or previous gun owners who have
purchased more firearms.

A good percentage of the firearms are in .22 lr.

AR 15's are quite common now. Nearly every gun owners has one, or has shot one, or
wants one.

AR 15 .22 lr conversions really came into the market place within the last 3 years.

One company who manufactures .22 lr ammo, CCI, make 3-4 million rounds of .22 lr a day. That is what I was told by CCI a few days ago.

Think about that. Let say 4 million rounds. That is not only for the U.S. that is for world wide export as well. How many rounds go to the U.S. I am guessing it is not 4 million.

If a million gun owners in the U.S. buy one brick, 500 rds of .22 ammo, in the course of one week that is a half billion rounds of .22 lr.

I contacted CCI a few days ago. They have no intentions of making another plant to
produce more than 3-4 million rounds a day. I explained why they should and my words
appeared to have fallen on deaf ears.

I am 63 years old. Been shooting well over 50 years. I have never seen in my lifetime,
a .22 lr ammo shortage like this. This is going on 1 1/2 years now.

Up here in Northwestern Oregon there are no .22 lr ammo on the shelves. None, period,
have not seen any in months. When they do come in people are waiting at the front door for the store to open up.

The reason for the shortage is not hoarding or panic buying. Its called Math.

More, millions more .22 lr firearm owners than 3 or so years ago require more .22 lr ammo
than 3 years ago.

Maybe its is because I went to public school but I don't see how I am wrong here.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Along with that there is some hoarding, however, Alfonzo you just live in the wrong part of the State out there in the boonies. Searcher can tell you what it is like in Portland. But in the Southern part of "the" valley. I can find some.

I have about 650 rds of that poor Winchester JHP. If it doesn't work in my StG44. I will probably end up giving it to someone that has a .22Lr revolver. That stuff is really bad.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I haven't seen any .22 up and down the I-5 corridor in two years: greater Portland, greater Salem. Things are just as dry to the east, in Central Oregon. Too much demand, too many shooters, not enough ammo, whatever. I don't see any .25 or .32, either.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here is my secret to finding ammo in stock. I use the Walmart app on my smartphone. I have noticed that if I check ammo stock in the afternoon/evening, it'll give me a good idea if the stores in my area will have particular ammo in stock or not the next morning. This is because they will receive the truck's inventory into their system in the afternoon but wont stock until the morning. The key is to check before going to bed. If they have ammo in stock at night, you have to go first thing in the morning to get some because they will sell out after the first hour. Stores in my area open at 7am. This has worked for me with both 9mm and .22lr ammo.

If you are on Android, the Walmart app will also tell you the price of the ammo. For some reason the iOS app will not.

·
Banned
235 Posts
Well here it is 2017 in November....and the 22 lr shortage is officially over.....

I see it everywhere although at higher prices ....the 1.50 a box ammo is now 3.00 a box ammo

·
Registered
182 Posts
Prior to 'Panic'/shortages of a few years ago, I was paying $6.87 for 100 round boxes of CCI Mini-Mags (Solid or HP) at my local Walmarts (the cheapest prices around)....Just walk into the store, point to the stacks of clear plastic boxes on the shelves and tell the clerk how many....any day/every day.

This past weekend (several years later) post-'Panic', I walked into my local Walmart, pointed at a stack of boxes of CCI Mini-Mags and paid $7.47 for the same box....a price increase of of .60¢. Not un-reasonable.

During the worst of the 'Panic'/shortages, I saw Cheaperthandirt.com offer the same 100 round box at $69...up from $59/box the week before. There should be a special place on the 4th Circle of Hell for companies that think it's okay to gouge their customers like that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well here it is 2017 in November....and the 22 lr shortage is officially over.....

I see it everywhere although at higher prices ....the 1.50 a box ammo is now 3.00 a box ammo
Reminds me of the gas shortages in the 70's, as soon as they got the price up where they wanted it, suddenly there was gas enough for everybody....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new to this forum, a new shooter, and a new user of a PPK/S .22. I've heard that CCI Mini Mags do well in this pistol because of the need for higher velocity rounds. However, they are hollow point, or at least the ones that my local gun shops sell. My question is, does anyone have experience with this particular ammo? Do they make better high velocity rounds without hollow point? Does it matter in this gun? Thanks in advance for any tips, hints, etc.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This response is a bit late in coming but....

In terms of practical performance, there is NO difference between CCI Mini Mag .22LR, high velocity, solid point or hollow point ammo. BOTH will cycle through most .22 LR semi-automatic pistols and rifles equally well....the Walther/Umarex PPK/S .22 LR included...with remarkably few '..failures..' per thousand (failures-to-fire, failures-to-feed and especially failures-to-eject). CCI Mini Mags are far and away the best and most reliable .22LR high velocity ammo on the market.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If there is one particular .22LR ammo that I would recommend that you ***NOT*** use in your Walther/Umarex (or any other .22 LR semi-auto) it would be *** AMRSCOR Precision 36 gr. High Velocity Hollow Points ***-- https://tinyurl.com/y9fp8r52

On numerous occasions I've experienced catastrophic '..blow outs..' at or near the rim of the cartridges, with flying bits of brass (turns out wearing good eye protection really is good advice) and damage to the firing mechanisms of three (3) different Walther/Umarex PPK/S...as well as a Sig Sauer Mosquito and Ruger SR22. That's three different semi-auto pistols on numerous occasions....using the same ARMSCOR Precision .22LR HVHP ammo.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
ARMSCOR ammo is defective garbage regardless of the caliber, it's just that in .22LR rim separation is more common whereas in cenerfire ammo split cases are more common.

I suspect the reason is cheap brass or inconsistent loading due to use of cheap powder of irregular consistency. Either way, spend a little extra for ammo that doesn't have a reputation for catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Picked up a PPK/S 22 yesterday and took it to the range today with my not-so-new but never fired CCP. First two magazines with Remington Golden Bullet High Velocity, 40 grain, 1255 fps at muzzle, plated lead round nose. All twenty rounds cycled perfectly. No issues.

Then I reloaded the two magazines and stepped up to the line. Every single round in the first magazine was FTE. "What the???", I thought. "Maybe it's the magazine. Don't know how because it's brand new." Tried the other magazine and I quit after the first three rounds that were also FTE.

"Has to be the ammunition." Then I realized that I loaded the first two magazines at home with the Remington Golden Bullet, and the next two magazines at the range with ammunition that I was using in my Single Six revolver. When I reloaded with Remington in the two magazines, no problems.

The ammunition that did not work, even once, was Winchester Super X, 40 grain, 1300 fps, Super Speed, Round Nose Copper Plated. Even though it says "Super Speed", it does NOT say "High Velocity". These Winchester rounds come in the red plastic box similar to the CCI boxes. I won't be purchasing any more of those rounds again, even though they work find in all my other 22s.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had my Walther PPk/s 22 for several years and the only ammo that I can expect to get 100% reliability is Remington Thunderbolt 22's and CCI Stinger. (although I did see that part in the owner's manual that Walther does not recommend using Stinger's or similar hyper velocity ammo, they work)

EVERY bulk ammo I've tried from Winchester, Federal, Aguila, Etc. turned my PPK/s into a single shot pistol... :rolleyes:

My LGS has a bunch of those 300 round bulk CCI Mini Mags with that "Choot 'em" guy's image on the box... 36gr High velocity Hollow points... I've heard that those also run very well in this gun but I haven't tried them and trying to find CCI mini Mag 40gr is nearly impossible in my area. The only CCI mini mags I can find are 36gr hollow points varmint loads...

Can anyone say if the 300 bulk boxes of that CCI mini mag Alligator guy's ammo runs well in these guns? :eek:

·
Registered
182 Posts
As noted above....the CCI '..Troy Landry--CHOOT EM..' ammo is the SAME as any CCI Mini Mag...even down to the 100 round plastic 'separator' packaging. The 375 round '..CHOOT EM..' box is the same CCI Mini Mag...but in a conventional '..bulk pack..' without separators.

After firing tens-of-thousands of CCI Mini Mags...through a broad cross section of .22 LR pistols....I can probably count the number of any sort of '..failures..' experience on the fingers of one hand....with fingers left over on the other to scratch my head and wonder why CCI Mini Mags are so much better and more reliable than EVERYTHING else ??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Four magazines, (40 rounds), today of those "pretty" CCI polymer-coated red, white, and blue bullets that were for sale last summer as a Fourth of July special/promo. No problems at all. They come in a bulk-box of 300 with a plastic window so you can see the multi-colored bullets. The brass is really nice too. Feels like they have some type of coating too.

Box says, "CCI 22 Long Rifle, 40 grain, 1235 fps, target, polymer-coated bullet".

41 - 60 of 60 Posts